PDA

View Full Version : Need help with adding hard drive.....

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2009, 16:38
I am trying to install another hard drive, but am having problems.

Formatting finished ok, but am now having problems accessing one of my existing hard drives. Somehow, the boot sequence has changed.

I am getting the following msg:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <Windows root>/system32.\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy"

Now if I disconnect the new drive, all reverts back to normal.

Any help?

Thanks.

NC

Willy
January 5th, 2009, 16:57
Just a thought...

Is your new drive to be the master or slave drive? If it's to be the master, it'll need the OS installed on it.

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2009, 17:21
I had planned to use it as a slave drive. There are no jumper settings on the back of it though. I have three other existing drives; all with XP Pro on them.

NC

Butcherbird17
January 5th, 2009, 17:52
Check the Boot order in Bios, and make sure the new drive is not first in list.

Joe

Lionheart
January 5th, 2009, 18:49
Also, with SATA drives, you have sockets that are color coded and in order. 1st is your main HD with OS. Then all slaves go under that socket. (I think the main one is yellow, cant remember).

Just switch the cables to the reverse order and try it.

If you wish for the 'new' drive to be the main drive, it will need Windows on it. You cannot start windows on a slave drive or aux drive. So you will need to run that. Best to disconnect the old drive when installing Windows so you do not accidentally erase valuable data from the other drive (original drive).

Hope that helps...

<--- has 6 alternate drives. :d

Bill

hey_moe
January 6th, 2009, 02:40
NC, I have found out in the past that if you add another hard drive for some reason thr BIOS selects that one to boot from. Reboot and tap on the delete key until it boot into your BIOS and then swing over towards the left to boot opt. and change the boot to the one your OS in on.

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 08:10
This is hard to explain. Maybe I need to get my wife's digital camera to take pictures of my screen, but here goes.

I have three other existing hard drives: C:, D:, and E:.

My boot.ini defaults to drive E:, which has FSX on it.

I was able to format the new drive, but if it is plugged in, somehow my boot.ini is not operatiing properly, in that I am only able to access drives C: and D:, even though drive E: is listed.

Under setup, the new drive is at the bottom, under the Boot Priority list. I have tried moving it up, etc....but doesn't help.

The new drive does show up under My Computer in either C: or D: drive, as it is formatted, but nothing on it yet.

Pete

Lionheart
January 6th, 2009, 09:12
When I first added an extra drive on my hp last year, I found that if I disconnected the old drive, then booted up the new drive with new OS on it, then shut down the computer, recliped the SATA drive cable to the old HD back in (this time into the slave socket), and rebooted, it then showed up proper with the new drive being the OS drive and the old drive being the extra drive (info storage).

But.. If you dont have an OS on that new drive, its not going to magically boot up as C drive as it doesnt have OS on it. (At least that is my understanding of computers, which isnt much. I think that C drive is usually your OS drive).

Bill

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 09:41
I think what I'll end up doing is going ahead and loading XP onto that drive. My boot.ini will probably have to be edited. Maybe the answer?

Thanks.

Pete

GT182
January 6th, 2009, 10:14
Heres'a dumb question NC. Do you actually need an OS installed on the newest HDD?

MY 2nd SATAII drive is F and no OS is installed on it. And I can play games installed to F Drive with no problem. I have the BMW M3 Challenge game on that drive and it runs perfectly. Plus F Drive is also used for storage.

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 11:16
Gary,

I don't really, however I still have the problem of not being able to boot up one of my existing hard drives, as long as the new one is connected. Am sure it is not something hard to fix; I just don't know how to yet.

Pete

leonross
January 6th, 2009, 12:00
Pete ,
Did you try to fix the problem with the hal.dll in the Windows\system32 folder ? I'll bet that's where the problem is .
Leon

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 13:03
Leon, I haven't done that yet. Was afraid to mess with it. My question about that is, when I disconnect the new drive, all works fine. So why would that file be the problem?

Pete

GT182
January 6th, 2009, 16:06
Would a HDD that's empty and unformatted still cause the same problem on startup? If you have one Pete, give it a try.

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 16:16
Gary,

I did, before I formatted the drive. It caused the same problem. Pete

leonross
January 6th, 2009, 16:24
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm
Go there for some possible solutions . I had a corrupt hal file also at one time . I replaced it using what I call the back door method . At that time I had access to another computer and a external hard drive case which made it very easy . And it worked .
I guess if all else fails , I would do like you suggested and install XP on the new hard drive . Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't MS say that the operating system must be on the C drive ? And should it not be the only master drive ?
And all the others be slaves drives .
Leon

Lionheart
January 6th, 2009, 16:34
Also... Disconnect all other drives when installing windows. I have heard people say that it can reformat all drives on the system, so to be careful, you may wish to disconnect the others before doing so...

Just a humble heads up.

Bill

hey_moe
January 6th, 2009, 17:12
First thing that has got to happen before anything will work right is the BIOS has to see all drives. Even when you go into computer management you can do a scan and it should be able to find all drives on your system. If either of those ways don't work...you have either a bad cable or something is not set up right in the BIOS.

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 17:25
Oh the Bios sees all the drives. And the new one does show up in My Computer listings of drives. But when it is connected, something is keeping me from accessing one of the other hard drives.

Pete

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2009, 17:41
Problem still persists. :typing::frown:

airfighterjohn
January 8th, 2009, 01:46
Just a thought--could it be a defective HDD? Maybe try out the drive on a different computer and see what it does. If it STILL comes up with the message, it may be a defective pin on your connector...

hey_moe
January 8th, 2009, 04:52
In the computer management you said it shows all drives. Does it ask you when you double click the drive that it has to be formatted first. Also does each drive have the proper assigned letter. Back to the BIOS. When you tab over to the boot set up try and disable all the other hard drives except the one you want to boot to and post what happens.Make sure that the HD you want to boot to is at the top of the list..Mike