PDA

View Full Version : We all make mistakes...

ColoKent
January 4th, 2013, 18:58
...and I made a HUGE one when (prematurely) judging PMDG's 737NGX a little over a year ago...What an incredible machine that baby is in all of it's variants (though I love the -600 like nothing else). Bottom line-- I've gone "PMDG crazy" over the last few days....

- Been happily flying the J41...
- Bought the MD-11
- Unmothballed the 737-800/900 (tel:737-800/900)
- Bought the 600/700 expansion pack
- Unmothballed the 747-400X

Yeah, baby...

Kent

Kiwikat
January 4th, 2013, 19:17
The NGX is still the best aircraft addon for FSX (though the A2A Civvie P-51 comes darn close). I've got a feeling the only thing that will be better is their 777.

ColoKent
January 4th, 2013, 19:30
...agree with ALL of your points, as I own all of them and will be in line early for the 777...well, work schedule (consulting) permitting...

Kent

ryanbatc
January 4th, 2013, 19:30
The NGX is still the best aircraft addon for FSX (though the A2A Civvie P-51 comes darn close). I've got a feeling the only thing that will be better is their 777.

Debatable :kilroy: - it's obviously in my top 3... but I think the Legacy is the finest (cause I'm a GA nut!!) Then I can't decide between Lotus L39 for pioneering all these awesome effects we get, RealAir's Turbine Duke for just being amazing, VRS' Superbug for putting in NVG through HUD, Baytower's RV7, Flight1's Mustang (besides being a frame hog the G1000 is incredible value with navigraph support and and and... I can't decide ARGH!!! :jump::jump:

ColoKent
January 4th, 2013, 19:34
....Ryan...at least you're in the ballpark-- like many of us. I accused Krazycolin of "ruining" FSX with the F-86 release (and if he does the T-33, he's a GOD). I assume you've heard of a "coffee snob"-- well I suspect there is a (somewhat silent) "FSX snob" movement emerging that favors a few payware developers (both AC and scenery)...

Kent

Naismith
January 4th, 2013, 23:19
Sometimes if your not in the mood we can make hasty judgements, we all do it periodically. Why just the other day ..............

FentiFlier1
January 5th, 2013, 04:45
Colokent, I think you're right about the danger of becoming an "FSX snob".

I was probably on the verge of becoming one, when accusim came out and really brought a whole bunch of other aircraft back to life. It gave them what made me so keen on A2A stuff in the first place: the expanded sound experience.

My interest lies mainly with vintage aircraft and maybe it sounds strange but I would be more excited about Full reduxing his Morane 317 to his wonderful He.51's standard or any news about Warbirdsim's P-39, than a new super-complex airliner or Cessna! :jump:

Owen.

Kiwikat
January 5th, 2013, 06:02
Colokent, I think you're right about the danger of becoming an "FSX snob".

If A2A, RealAir, and PMDG keep putting out products like the P-51, Lancair Legacy, and NGX, I'll be a "snob" all day and all night. The quality of these planes is far above and beyond anything we've seen in the sim before.

We are so spoiled by all of the wonderful aircraft these days. It is nice to have the problem of not being able to decide what to fly because everything is so good. :jump:

pilottj
January 5th, 2013, 08:39
We are spoiled rotten :) A2A, Baytower, RealAir, Lotus, PMDG, CH, Dodo, Aerosoft and so on have all given us excellent machines. You know a cool thing about all this, how many planes at first didn't jump out at you as somthing you would be interested in? Either you didn't know much about them or didn't appeal to you real-world-wise. Then taking a chance on the FS product, it totally 'WOWed' you and taught you about the aircraft and it's capabilities.

HighGround22
January 5th, 2013, 17:15
...and I made a HUGE one when (prematurely) judging PMDG's 737NGX a little over a year ago...What an incredible machine that baby is in all of it's variants (though I love the -600 like nothing else). Bottom line-- I've gone "PMDG crazy" over the last few days . . . .

Ditto on all points, Kent! I bought the NGX when it was first released, and due to some weird personal happenings at the time, I ended-up ignoring it entirely, until about six days ago.

I think the many files, the reams of paperwork and the study required to do the job correctly with the NGX is what scared me off initially. But a few days ago I found myself trundling down to the UPS store to have a hockey sock full of files printed-off. Whereupon, I've been studying feverishly at the dining-room table, ever since.

Which means I've still yet to fly the bugger, but I don't want to just plonk my virtual bum into the cockpit and start switch-flicking or playing "What's this do?". Ergo, I figure I'll probably make my Tutorial #1 flight on or around Tuesday (8th).

And moreover, what fascinates me is that this "delayed gratification" is actually quite pleasant. It seems that in my 70s, I still get a great deal of enjoyment from the process of learning something new and interesting.

My-my, but I DO go on . . . .

FentiFlier1
January 6th, 2013, 02:04
BTW, I must correct my post. I wrote "accusim" but meant "accufeel", of course.

Owen.

jeansy
January 6th, 2013, 02:30
...and I made a HUGE one when (prematurely) judging PMDG's 737NGX a little over a year ago...What an incredible machine that baby is in all of it's variants (though I love the -600 like nothing else). Bottom line-- I've gone "PMDG crazy" over the last few days....

- Been happily flying the J41...
- Bought the MD-11
- Unmothballed the 737-800/900 (tel:737-800/900)
- Bought the 600/700 expansion pack
- Unmothballed the 747-400X

Yeah, baby...

Kent

same here i was against all that fmc stuff, now i rarely fly without it, in a way i switched to the dark side after some shown me how to use them, the ngx gets the most use on my system, still trying to learn the md11 but it wont be long

HighGround22
January 6th, 2013, 12:24
same here i was against all that fmc stuff, now i rarely fly without it, in a way i switched to the dark side after some shown me how to use them, the ngx gets the most use on my system, still trying to learn the md11 but it wont be long

Know whatcha mean, Matt! At one time, I avoided anything with a "complicated" FMC; now, I find I really enjoy getting in there "under the hood" and twiddling away like a crazed nerd.

I can honestly say now that it's heaps of fun! (I formerly flew PMDG's marvelous B747)

imn2sims
January 6th, 2013, 16:41
.........and you will be making another mistake (IMHO) if you don't try FS2Crew with the 737NGX. It is also an amazing product that I now wouldn't fly the NGX without. Let the lowly co-pilot do most of the grunt work :kilroy:.

Steve

johndetrick
January 7th, 2013, 02:30
"same here i was against all that fmc stuff, now i rarely fly without it, in a way i switched to the dark side after some shown me how to use them, the ngx gets the most use on my system, still trying to learn the md11 but it wont be long"

In the real world I felt the same way. I flew the DC-8, we called it the Jurrasic Jet or The trailing edge of technology, because it was basic jet flying. With Huge attitude indicators in front of you, no auto throttle, an autopilot that needed constant tweaking and fiddling and on and on.... It was just a beast to fly, fun, but a beast. It would eat your lunch if you were not on top of it. Then I transitioned to the B767.

Now I don't know what I would do without a good fmc, an autopilot that really works, a comfortable seat, air conditioning packs that work and big flat panel displays.