PDA

View Full Version : PMDG (FSX) 747-800 vs. MD-11

ColoKent
January 3rd, 2013, 05:30
Guys,

I'd love to get the PMDG 777, but it isn't out yet....as a stopgap measure, I'm thinking of getting either the 747-800 or MD-11. Which is closer to "current" payware standards....seems I remember the wing flex in the PMDG 747 was somewhat "cheesy" (the wing seemed like it did not flex up and down smoothly, but in unrealistic steps). Thoughts?

Kent

P.S. Also...is there one or the other of these airplanes that has a more stable, "heavy" feel? The 737NGX looked great, but felt too light in the controls (to me)...I want to really feel the "heavy" part!

pilottj
January 3rd, 2013, 08:07
I don't fly tubes too often, but when I do, I usually prefer the freighters.

I would go with the MD-11, for a couple of reasons. For one, it a newer release than the 747 so it is a little better graphically, especially in the VC night lighting department. I think it is the best long haul airliner/cargo bird available. While I personally prefer the Boeing 'tan' VCs for their ergonomics and general atmosphere for long haul trips, the MD is just better graphically.

Two, it has different 'style' of systems, FMS, Autopilot..etc than the Boeings, so it is a nice challenge to learn and rewarding once you have mastered it. IMHO it is a little more automated than the Boeings as well. It has an auto step climb feature, so for long haul overnighters, you can set the step climbs, go to bed, wake up, and the MD will have followed your designated profile.

Good article here for Boeing pilots transitioning to the MD.
http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a18/tips-for-boeing-pilots-learning-the-md-11.aspx

Three, the current 747 is still the best 747 simulation available, and still very enjoyable, however 747v2 is in development and will be on par or better than the current NGX. So if you can hold out for however long it takes to release. As I understand, 777 will be released before then, so you also have that to look foward to too.

IMHO the MD-11 actually gets better frame rates for me. I think this is because the 747 comes with lots of ground equipment visuals...ie airstairs, support vehicles..etc, while the MD-11 doesn't have any.

You can find both MD11 and 747v1 Aerosoft boxed versions on Amazon/ which are usually cheaper than downloading. I think I got 747 for around 20 bucks, and MD for around 50 a few years ago.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
TJ

Mach3DS
January 3rd, 2013, 08:25
"I don't usually fly tubes much, but when I do, I usually prefer Dos Unos!" haha LOL. :D Sorry couldn't resist.

ColoKent
January 3rd, 2013, 08:34
...yeah-- spoken in a slight Spanish accent: "Stay thirsty, my friends...."

pilottj
January 3rd, 2013, 08:37
Some guy did paint the MD-11 up in Guinness colors. I think the paint is on flightsim or avsim. :icon_lol::icon29:...er for guinness...:guinness:

ColoKent
January 3rd, 2013, 08:50
....is GREAT...flies like a REAL heavy...Thanks!

Kent