PDA

View Full Version : FSX and me

Seaking055
January 5th, 2009, 15:41
I think I've finally cracked it !! after my last crash decided to wipe both hdd's and install all from new.

Have FSX on it's own hdd now and have been tweaking away for a couple of months, testing here and testing there for the best on my rig.

With the xtreme quad 3ghz I have I had it o'clocked to 3.24 but with the puter in idle my core temps were in the 40-50C range and with FSX loaded up I was up into the 60'sC.

So I thought it was time for another case and yet another CPU cooling fan, finally I'm where I want to be with temps.

With a lot of help from the techs at my local store I decided on this case
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011391&cid=CS.664

and this Mother of a CPU cooler
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019601&cid=FN.349

What a difference !! after the guys swapped over all my hw into the new case along with the new CPU cooler I booted up and after 24 hours solid running, idle core temps @ 3.24 oc were in the mid 30's and with FSX on load mid 40's.

So today thought I would increase my oc a little more, now have the rig running a shade under 3.4, even with FSX loaded like at Heathrow my temps are not above 44C so I'm well happy now.

So now I think it's time to get a few pics posted which I'll do over the next couple of days.

Sorry for the length of the post just wanted to share is all now being a happy camper.

MCDesigns
January 5th, 2009, 15:53
Glad all is working out!

I can't but wonder what issues you had before as your system is definitely up to handling FSX

Seaking055
January 5th, 2009, 15:59
Hey Michael

Been a while.........it was trying to get it to run nice and smooth, I got so tired of seeing a slide show over a major airport. I have this pinned down to AI traffic which is a killer FPS for me.

I have most sliders now to the right with some of the scenery stuff about 2/3rds of the way, I know if I kill all AI I can move all sliders to the right.

I have my FPS set at 30 and now have Nhancer set nicely for my rig I think lol. I still have this slight "blip" on the screen now and again but living with that.

I'll be posting up some pics soon as I just about have it where I want it..........like you can reach in and touch the sim.

Patience Patience lol..........I'm just about there.

Dangerous Beans
January 5th, 2009, 16:29
That's the same case I have and I love it although the PSU at the bottom makes the cable routing a little awkward.

MCDesigns
January 5th, 2009, 16:42
Ah, I understand now, I have the same issues over heavy cities or airports but I just accept it for now rather than OCing or trying to make it work. Luckily there are enough areas I love to fly in that give me good performance.

Glad all is working now, would love to see some images.

Cactuskid
January 5th, 2009, 20:08
That's the same case I have and I love it although the PSU at the bottom makes the cable routing a little awkward.

My cable routing isn't as clean as I'd like it to be either, especially with that boat anchor PSU I've got. Sometimes I wish that I had bought the Antec 1200, but that thing is a monster! Anyway, my rig runs a cool 46 deg under load with 5 fans in the case and two in the PSU. When I get some time to fool with it, I'm going to bump the CPU and RAM up a bit and see how cool it runs.

harleyman
January 6th, 2009, 02:31
Thats a nice case and cooler..have you seen the new V-8 ? Its a monster too....

Good to hear that your temps are down and holding now... :applause:

kilo delta
January 6th, 2009, 02:55
I'd the QX6850 in my old Alienware ALX system. I had it running around 3.8ghz on an Evga 680i just by upping the multi. I'd a Coolit Freezone liquid cooling system on the cpu but cooling performance wasn't great (mid 60's under load) so I wound up fitting a Tuniq Tower which helped enormously.:)