PDA

View Full Version : First Presbyterian Church in Danville

Cazzie
January 2nd, 2013, 05:01
I have always wanted to get a good image of the First Presbyterian Church in Danville, I have always liked its classical Greek architecture. However, there was no way to get it in one shot without conflicting light poles and high wires. Therefore, this is the result of six HDR photos. I tried two techniques in acquiring the final image. First I stitched three of the two images in Microsoft ICE, then tone mapped the result in Photomatix Pro. Secondly (which the one I ended up using) I took the three HDR images of two shots and tone mapped them using identical tone map settings in Photomatix Pro, then stitched them in Microsoft ICE. Cropping and post-processing of the final stitched image was done in Photoshop. I used the Pentax K-x, my pick up and go camera, a 35-mm setting on the standard 18-85-mm lens, Aperture Priority, f/11, HDR shooting mode (three shots on each image) @ a 2Ev bracketed setting. Tripod mount.

What appears as a slight halo effect around the sanctuary is actualy the sun, not an HDR no-no. The sun was at its low Winter arc and I had to place the camera where it would be blocked by the main body of the church. Only an HDR image would do to show the details of the front of the church, otherwise it would be dark.

http://www.fhotoroom.com/photos/1929/o/13010208483842.jpg

jmig
January 4th, 2013, 16:28
That is a nice picture, Caz. Well done!

Why do the steps look cocked? Is the building on a hill? ( You can tell I am a flat-lander. LOL)

Cazzie
January 9th, 2013, 05:08
Oh yes, Danville is a city of hills, not mountains, just standard river and creek hills. About a 9 % grade steep at the church, flattens out at the top. We cyclists know them well. :icon_lol:

EasyEd
January 11th, 2013, 13:03
Hey All,

Caz nice image!

What I am curious about is a couple things; 1) are there really 6 steps on the left side and only 2 on the right side of the main church? 2) If you put a marble on the floor of the building on the left does it roll (is the building really that crooked - not level?)?

Just curious...

-Ed-

Cazzie
January 12th, 2013, 11:28
Hey All,

Caz nice image!

What I am curious about is a couple things; 1) are there really 6 steps on the left side and only 2 on the right side of the main church? 2) If you put a marble on the floor of the building on the left does it roll (is the building really that crooked - not level?)?

Just curious...

-Ed-

Ed, I processed three bracketed images in Photomatix Pro for both the left and right with the same settings in Photomatix Pro. After achieving those two images, I stitched them in Microsoft ICE, then post-processed in Photoshop. The aspect of the crooked look comes from Microsoft ICE stitching the two images in a rotational camera movement, all three planar movement choices produced worse cropping aspects.