PDA

View Full Version : way OT: a little story....

Daveroo
December 31st, 2012, 10:43
back in the early 1980,while i was in the fire department, i was quiet active in the department,in those days we didnt have dedicated HAZMAT teams like there are today,so in i believe,1981,a few of us from my department begand to go to San Fransico and Sacramento for training in HAZMAT incidents ,and 4 of us were certified in my department..then two of us were certified in propane fire management .

well one day we got a call for an unknown substance on the roadway,at the time we were an all volunteer department,but this being a HAZMAT incident,they paged myself and my life long friend Pete to respond with our "home engine",so pete and i met at the fire house,,headed to the scene ,,when we arrived the local PD had the area evacuated,there was a slight breeze,but it was a hot,dry summer day.the PD has setup an ICP up on a hill,,above the spill site,with a good view..the fire chief and several "captains" were there and local newspaper people were also there.i grabbed a set of binoculars and took a good look ...and i mean a really good look in which i spotted a clue as to what was going on..i suggested to pete that we suit up behind the engine..which is where ,in privacy,i whispered to him my plan of action....once we were all suited up....which our Captain,a over zelous sort,insisted we wore our yellow wildland gear,heavy bunker gear,and the tyvec (or whatever those white bunny suits were made of..i honeslty never did know,as long as they protected me),with SCBA,and structure fire helmet,,,so off pete and i went,we headed down the slight incline to the intersection where the substance lay in the middle of the road....we both stood looking at it for a minute...arms straight to our sides..heads down..both acting like we had no clue...

i then removed the hoodie from over my helmet,then the helmet from my head,the SCBA mask from my face,,,pete is just standing there watching..not reacting at all...at this point..i get down on both knees,,i lick my index finger,dip it in the substance.....slowly...sort of nervously...hand visably shaking....i raise my finger to my mouth and lick it....all in full view of the police chief.fire chief..newsies..ect......i then let my head sort of bob from side to side..and i just fell over backwards on to the airtank and kinda just went limp........

at that point..pete gave me a kick on the shin and looked up at the ICP and shrugged his shoulders.....and shook his head "no" ...did that catholic cross the heart thing.....then walked over to the curb...picked up a bag labled "pure cane sugar" and walked back to the ICP....layed it on the table and started undressing......no one said a word......

i then go up...grabbed my stuff...walked up to the icp....gave a sly smile..and went to the engine...as i was walking away......i heard the chief of police say..."ok smartass,ill get you for that"

about a year an a half later,,,i was on a date..driving through town,and suddenly i was surrounded by four pd cars and two sheriffs units,all with lights flashing ect.....and the chief walks up..pulls me out of the car and then does this entire wanted for murder thing........the poor girl wouldnt speak to me for months...:icon_eek: