PDA

View Full Version : FSX/Prepar3D Sim Launcher 5.3

stovall
December 26th, 2012, 18:06
Just found today a great program for launching FSX or in my case Prepar3D. It give you the option of which aircraft, airfield and weather before launching P3D. As it is without this program you can change you aircraft, place in the world, and weather once P3D is started but this program allows you to set this up before launch. You can even change your default flight with this program. Worth giving it a look. I tested and it works perfectly in P3D. Here is what the program screen looks like.

(http://)http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/tlstovall/SimLauncher1_zpsa54f857f.jpg

It can be downloaded from Flightsim.com with the date December 26th. Download HERE. (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=4316829)

CG_1976
December 26th, 2012, 18:25
Thanks for the HU. Off to pick it up. Now I can set and use lionhearts Mooney for my default in the arctic flight as my understanding is now that i have Prepar3d finally installed and working?

Clutch Cargo
December 28th, 2012, 08:20
Good little app. Just make sure you "tick" on to have it check for updates every time it starts as it gets updated almost every day, ha!

Phantom88
December 28th, 2012, 11:13
Great,Thanks!

vgbaron
December 28th, 2012, 11:40
Good little app. Just make sure you "tick" on to have it check for updates every time it starts as it gets updated almost every day, ha!

Sometimes TWICE a day! One of the best freeware programs I've seen in a while and the developer is quick to add features, etc.

Vic

jmig
December 31st, 2012, 09:38
It doesn't seem to be up anymore. I link gives "NO Results", results.

Dangerous Beans
December 31st, 2012, 12:09
It doesn't seem to be up anymore. I link gives "NO Results", results.

jmig, if you PM me an email addi I'll send you the V5.7 install file.

jmig
December 31st, 2012, 13:02
jmig, if you PM me an email addi I'll send you the V5.7 install file.

Thanks! However, I did an search on FS.com and found it. However, when I run the setup, it keeps giving me and error. Something about not finding a "runways.xml"??? I have never heard of such a file. It is looking for it in both FSX and P3D.

Dangerous Beans
December 31st, 2012, 13:09
Thanks! However, I did an search on FS.com and found it. However, when I run the setup, it keeps giving me and error. Something about not finding a "runways.xml"??? I have never heard of such a file. It is looking for it in both FSX and P3D.

You can get that here http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
Its listed under FS2004
Just extract it to the Prepare3d and FSX main folders and run it once in each before starting Sim Launcher.
If you have any add-on scenery like ORBX make sure its enabled before running it though.

AussieMan
December 31st, 2012, 13:15

You need the makerunways.exe. You will find it here http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Disregard this post. Didn't see the link above. DB posted while I was getting the link.

jmig
December 31st, 2012, 13:24
Hey thanks guys. I downloaded it and will install it.

I am also having issues with the Simmarket FSX to P3D migration. It can't find P3D and says the registry are corrupted. Strange? P3D loads and runs find.

Dangerous Beans
December 31st, 2012, 13:54
If P3D is loosing its reg entry then that's another common FSX bug that needs fixing.

I did a search on fixing the prepar3d registry but it only seem to come up with advise on the registry hack for installing FSX add-ons in to P3D.
There is a tool out there for fixing the FSX registry entry but nothing similar for P3D that I'v seen.

If you feel brave enough to edit your registry (not for the faint hearted, you can do more damage than good if you screw up) I could paste the entry for my install and you could make a .reg file (after editing it so the path is correct for your install) that you could import.

First off I'd search your registry for prepar3d.exe to see if its in there at all though.

BTW I don't know why people keep paying for that program on SimMarket as there's a free one that does exactly the same thing
http://www.sahince.com/downloads/viewdownload/13-tools/5-fsxtop3d.html

jmig
December 31st, 2012, 15:07
If P3D is loosing its reg entry then that's another common FSX bug that needs fixing.

I did a search on fixing the prepar3d registry but it only seem to come up with advise on the registry hack for installing FSX add-ons in to P3D.
There is a tool out there for fixing the FSX registry entry but nothing similar for P3D that I'v seen.

If you feel brave enough to edit your registry (not for the faint hearted, you can do more damage than good if you screw up) I could paste the entry for my install and you could make a .reg file (after editing it so the path is correct for your install) that you could import.

First off I'd search your registry for prepar3d.exe to see if its in there at all though.

BTW I don't know why people keep paying for that program on SimMarket as there's a free one that does exactly the same thing
http://www.sahince.com/downloads/viewdownload/13-tools/5-fsxtop3d.html

Hey thanks a million! I downloaded it. Still can't find P3D? Yet, P3D runs. I don't understand how they can't find it and it run just fine? Maybe I need to re-install. It is on it own SSD drive, all by itself.

Lionheart
January 1st, 2013, 10:10
Downloaded and running nicely! Loving it!

I hope P3 one day will add something like this Gem to their flight training sim. Its not an intense thing to load like the FSX version and offers more flexibility in setups of flights.

Bill

Naismith
January 1st, 2013, 10:34
I got fed up with this app, it seems that every time I fired it up there was an update, this to me signified he using the whole community for Beta testing as opposed to one or two select folk. As far as using it for FSX (I've stopped using P3D until the next update, just too many annoyances for me) it was getting longer and longer in the boot sequence.
I applaud the mans interest in improving the sim, but too many updates imho. There are only so many hours in a day. :isadizzy:

Dangerous Beans
January 1st, 2013, 12:47
I got fed up with this app, it seems that every time I fired it up there was an update, this to me signified he using the whole community for Beta testing as opposed to one or two select folk. As far as using it for FSX (I've stopped using P3D until the next update, just too many annoyances for me) it was getting longer and longer in the boot sequence.
I applaud the mans interest in improving the sim, but too many updates imho. There are only so many hours in a day. :isadizzy:

I can understand peoples opinion about not wanting to be a beta tester for something they've paid for but this is FREE.
Also you don't have to update it as soon as ones released if you don't want to. Its not as if it will stop working if you don't, there's a check box in the options to turn off the check for updates on startup if it bugs you.

IMO this is an absolute god send for P3D, the no startup menu has been my biggest gripe with it and this goes a long way to fixing that.
I hope he adds access to the other more basic setting screens such as graphics, controls, realism ect. as its still necesarie to go through the same old rigmarole as before if you want to change any of those in Sim.

Naismith
January 1st, 2013, 15:37
Not really a gripe, just an observation. It was every day there a while back with a new updated version. Grrrrr and there goes my NY resolution not to be so grumpy. :-)

pilottj
January 1st, 2013, 16:12
lol sorry Naismith, I might have been part of the reason for so many update :icon_lol: Maarten and I had a little bit of dialogue going, He had asked me if I had some ideas to add, so I gave him some, between that and correcting bugs of new features, there were quite a few updates :D. 5.7 is very good now, the ability to start your flight from an any 'view', seeing your parking location on the front page, seeing your flight plan on google earth, able to switch FTX regions without running FTX central, lots of handy little things, I have replaced my FSX desktop and startmenu shortcuts with this.
:icon29:

luckydog
January 1st, 2013, 22:54
I'm missing something................what's the difference in setting up before or after launch ?? Avoiding the wet spot when everythings over ??

OleBoy
January 2nd, 2013, 05:25
This Sim Launcher is already at v5.7?
Is there a list of fixes/features that's been added?
Is it something that needs to be installed or is it a stand-alone desktop (double-click/run/self contained) process?

I'm in Naismith's shoes here. I moved away from FSX because I got really fed up with all of tweaking needed to be done.
When I double-click the .exe, I want to fly. Not be a virtual druggie who gets off on tweaking like someone addicted to methamphetamine.

I'll stop asking the foolish questions and go look for the sim launcher so I can beta test it too. Least it's free to test.

Edit: As I suspected. Right from the get go I have to hunt for needed files to make it work. Runways.xml is needed for start-up. What else?
****. I'm already losing interest for sake of having to hunt down third-party assets so this thing will fire when I turn the key.

Edit 1: Updated to v5.8 already. And looks nice.
Not a bad program at all. I like the features. So far the only issue I notice are the FTX "lights" settings are greyed out and can't be changed.

Clutch Cargo
January 2nd, 2013, 09:38
Appreciate what was formally a convenient little app to serve a needed purpose, I now feel the program has become somewhat "bloated", with so many checkboxes, options, settings, the constant updates, and adding every request from simmers. Now with the addition of a 3rd party payware (Orbx) selections? I'm not sure how Orbx will take to this - but I am sure they have talked with Orbx to get the a-ok, But what's next - settings for the NGX?

I am actually finding I am using the product less. Just a little constructive criticism.

jmig
January 2nd, 2013, 17:08
I can't help but chuckle after reading the different posts. If I was Maarten, I would either be rolling my eyes or banging my head against a wall. This proves the old adage; You can never make everyone happy, but you can sure piss them all off. ( I added the second part :) )

For what it's worth, I downloaded the program, after reading about it here, and like it. So, Maarten, if you are reading this thread, thanks for the program and your willingness to catch hell from a bunch of loveable, well meaning but never satisfied curmudgeons. That will be us, simmers.

IanHenry
January 3rd, 2013, 00:13
I think the program is great, but I do have one little problem. I use REX for Prepar3D, is there any way that the two can be launched simultaneously?

Regards,
Ian.

pilottj
January 4th, 2013, 07:36
I can't help but chuckle after reading the different posts. If I was Maarten, I would either be rolling my eyes or banging my head against a wall. This proves the old adage; You can never make everyone happy, but you can sure piss them all off. ( I added the second part :) )

For what it's worth, I downloaded the program, after reading about it here, and like it. So, Maarten, if you are reading this thread, thanks for the program and your willingness to catch hell from a bunch of loveable, well meaning but never satisfied curmudgeons. That will be us, simmers.

Hehe yeah you know its true, tho I think if you visit the PMDG forums, you will see a lot of folks who are never satisfied. Capt. Randazzo posts a development update, then over the course of a week or so, that development update turns in to a thread that is as long as our FSX Screenshots thread of people over analyizing thing that Capt. Randazzo said. "...The First Officer's cup holder is the wrong color!!' "Those are supposed to be philips screws holding up the tissue dispenser in the aft lav!";):icon_lol: Can't blame them for not wanting to post development updates or release schedules.

Like you say, you can never please everybody LOL. Thank you Maarten for creating this wonderful utility.

Ian with REX I would assume you would just start them seperately. Have Launcher start P3D/FSX, then while it is loading, fire up REX weather. I haven't used REX other in a while other than for sky/water textures, and use Opus weather now, which can be set to be all automatic.

Flyingsub
January 4th, 2013, 08:57
Hey thanks a million! I downloaded it. Still can't find P3D? Yet, P3D runs. I don't understand how they can't find it and it run just fine? Maybe I need to re-install. It is on it own SSD drive, all by itself.

I have the same issue. I have makerunways which works just fine.

Flyingsub
January 4th, 2013, 09:04
Sussed it!!

Runways was set up as a CSV due to the version of Office that I am using. Solution. Save Runways.csv as runways.xml

Lionheart
January 5th, 2013, 21:40
I am loving it. I did not like going into Virginia every time, nor clicking on the FLT files. I liked the original basic launcher, but it was so basic. This is one nice launcher here. Nicely done, Maarten.

:medals: :applause:

IanHenry
January 6th, 2013, 00:27
Hehe yeah you know its true, tho I think if you visit the PMDG forums, you will see a lot of folks who are never satisfied. Capt. Randazzo posts a development update, then over the course of a week or so, that development update turns in to a thread that is as long as our FSX Screenshots thread of people over analyizing thing that Capt. Randazzo said. "...The First Officer's cup holder is the wrong color!!' "Those are supposed to be philips screws holding up the tissue dispenser in the aft lav!";):icon_lol: Can't blame them for not wanting to post development updates or release schedules.

Like you say, you can never please everybody LOL. Thank you Maarten for creating this wonderful utility.

Ian with REX I would assume you would just start them seperately. Have Launcher start P3D/FSX, then while it is loading, fire up REX weather. I haven't used REX other in a while other than for sky/water textures, and use Opus weather now, which can be set to be all automatic.

Ys thanks, that seems to have done the trick, you just have to launch the Sim Launcher first.

Regards,
Ian.