PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 3.

Ferry_vO
December 25th, 2012, 04:51
Anyone else playing this game..? I've been playing it for a week or two, and absolutely love it!
FC1 was a first-person shooter set on a tropical island and a lot of fun until mutated creatures entered the game. Part two was set in Africa and had a more open world to explore, but the gameplay was repetitive and it just wasn't that much fun. Part three takes place on another tropical island and lets you explore the world however you want.

The story: The player is jason Brody, who is celebrating a holiday on the fictional 'Rook island' (Somewhere in South-East Asia) with his brother and friends but they are captured by pirates who want to sell them as slaves. When you and your brother try to escape, you are recaptured, your brother is killed before your eyes and you are hunted. Somehow you manage to escape and you join a tribe of locals, known as the Rakyat. Now your quest begins to find your friend and avenge your brother's death.

Rook Island are two seperate islands, each about 3 miles long and two miles wide, only one of which is accessible in the first part of the game. Both are mountainous and covered in jungle, with plenty of wildlife roaming freely. To get items you will need to hunt this wildlife as their skin lets you craft pouches and rucksacks. Some wildlife is harmless, like goats, Tapirs, pigs and birds, some can be dangerous when provoked, like Cassowaries, Wild boars and Water buffalos, while some are always dangerous, like Tigers, Panthers, Comodo dragons and snakes.
Sometimes you'll see animals attacks the island inhabitants, but they will also hunt each other! If you see a pack of deer suddenly scatter and run, you best keep a shotgun in your hands..
During a night mission (There is an active day/night cycle and a weather system) I tried to avoid two pirates by sneaking through the bushes, only to find myself face to face with a Tiger! Since I had my bow equipped at that moment the Tiger got me, and the noise the tiger made and my screams alerted the pirates as well... Managed to get my arm from the tiger's mouth, get my shotgun and kill the tiger. Than I ran and hid from the pirates so I could go back later and get the tiger skin. Others have reported snake bites while hiding or crocodile attacks while attempting to swim away from the enemy..

To unlock the map of the islands you will need to find radio towers and climb those (Not always easy!) and to get more quick travel points and safe houses you will need to capture enemy camps.
Trying brute force isn't the best option; stealth seems to work better. In some camps they have animals in a cage, so shoot these cages to release the animal and watch from a distance! In the chaos that follows use a (Preferably silenced) sniper rifle to shoot the alarms to avoid calling in reinforcements, then carefully pick off the rest.

To get around the island you can use cars, trucks, quads, boats and even a hang glider! While walking and driving around you can find loot, caves, old ruins and even remnants of WW2 Japanese occupation (A nice reference to FC1.). You can just follow the missions to find your friends, but there are also side quests to be done to get some extra cash. Always handy to buy ammo and better guns!

Overall a great game and one of the best shooters this year. The only downside is Ubisofts Uplay, which means you will need to be connected to the internet to play. Some bugs were present in the first versions, but now most are solved with patches.

A couple of screenshots:

An overview of a part of the first island:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-0720-37-31-85_zpsa4d0b4e1.jpg

The first village you'll visit after your escape:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-0720-54-18-97_zps1987a04d.jpg

On top of a mountain, note the hang glider, the goats and the black smoke which indicates a pirate base:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-0921-04-42-52_zpsf4d288f7.jpg

A shipwreck:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-1022-43-06-23_zps06b48680.jpg

Night time, note the Tiger! This time I did have my shotgun ready..:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-1420-11-33-84_zpsa0bcb80b.jpg

Waterfall:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-1420-21-49-95_zpsf2da0ca4.jpg

Hang gliding:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-1520-09-21-79_zps2e59a98e.jpg

Old WW2 relic!:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-1521-00-28-10_zps78469be3.jpg

Sun going down:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-1815-18-31-92_zps913a819e.jpg

The second island, which is more volcanic, with even higher mountains:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/FC3/farcry3_d3d112012-12-2219-36-42-95_zpsb8ab69e8.jpg

rocketred
December 25th, 2012, 09:41
what is the link , and is it tied into a payware version many tks

if i seem somewhat dumb , im not ...its i suffer a slow from of dyslexia , im good at what i do but spell and read is hard

tks

HighGround22
December 25th, 2012, 09:48
I played FC1 and enjoyed it a lot, until (as you indicate) it sorta jumps the shark.

I bought FC2 and it's still on my Steam account, but I only played a bit of it and for some reason, never went back. Yet.

But you have me intrigued with FC3 now. I do believe I'll give 'er a go.

And by the bye, since you're obviously a gamer, perhaps I can pick your brain:

Since it was first released, I've always regarded Half-Life II as being the best FPS game I've ever played. But you can only play a game so ofter, before you want to look farther afield. But I've never found anything close, and I ascribe that to my lack of experience.

So I wonder whether you can look back through your experience and fill-in the following blank: "Well, if you liked HL2, then you'd just have to also like (blank) !" I'd appreciate your opinion.

Meanwhile, many thanks for the HU. You obviously went to a great deal of trouble to produce this post!

Ferry_vO
December 25th, 2012, 09:51
It's not a mod, but rather a full payware game. You can buy it on Steam or in stores, for PC, Playstation3 or Xbox 360. I tried to add a link, but every one leads me to the Dutch FC3 site.. Enter 'Far Cry 3' in Google from your country should give you the correct site.

Ferry_vO
December 25th, 2012, 10:01
Jon: I used to be a gamer, but not so much these days anymore. Lack of time, but I'm also getting tired of the short and scripted games that are so abundant these days. Call of Duty, Medal of Honor; all you do is walk, aim and shoot. $50 is a lot for a game that lasts only five hours..
Half-Life 2 was great (As was part 1), and not a lot of games after that come close.
Recent games that I like are Crysis 2 (Heavy on the system though!), Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and my favourite game from last year (Come to think of it: one of the few games from last year..): Dead Island. Another tropical island, this time occupied with zombies. Like FC3 you'll need to learn new skills and craft your own weapons. Splinter cell: Conviction was fun too (And cheap these days!) though not as hard core stealth as the previous games were.

MudMarine
December 25th, 2012, 10:16
FC3 is a 10 out of 10 so far in my opinion. That and Assassin's Creed III are the best games Ive played in a long while. Black Ops II was one of the worst games I've played, it's an overrated, overhyped POS.

Dain Arns
December 25th, 2012, 10:52
I've been thoroughly enjoying Batman Arkham City for the Wii U.
The developers Rocksteady didn't just do a simple port to the Wii U.
They went back in and re-coded and polished it up especially for use with the GamePad.
It's like having on of The Bat's gadgets in your hand.
The nerd factor goes off the scale, and very immersive to play.

Another game I really enjoyed recently was Portal 2, another great one from Valve, who brought us the Half-Life series.
Some really mindbending stuff, great sense of humor.
And I like the fact that often it seems the solutions to escaping the various rooms are really up to your own imagination.
Steam has both the Portal games in a bundle on sale for $12.49USD until Jan. 5th, 2013.

Ferry_vO
December 25th, 2012, 10:53
Steam has both the Portal games in a bundle on sale for $12.49USD until Jan. 5th, 2013.

Both Batman games and Dead Island are on sale too.

:)

Javis
December 25th, 2012, 17:56
What about ' Myst ' ..... Anyone ??..... ( i guess not, huh..... )

stiz
December 26th, 2012, 02:17
another lover of FC3 here, they nailed it in my opion :)

Ferry_vO
December 26th, 2012, 02:59
What about ' Myst ' ..... Anyone ??..... ( i guess not, huh..... )

Sorry Jan, Windows 7 doesn't come with a compatibility mode for MS DOS... ;)

kilo delta
December 26th, 2012, 04:12
I used to get paid to play FC1 all day long...whilst testing new top of the line systems when working for a well known pc gaming manufacturer :D. I enjoyed FC2 too, but it didn't meet my expectations. I got FC3 for Chrimbo but haven't installed it yet.

Javis
December 26th, 2012, 05:32
Sorry Jan, Windows 7 doesn't come with a compatibility mode for MS DOS... ;)

Hehe... yes, it's old but not thàt old... It got upgraded, including all of its sequels, over the years. I bought the newest versions of Myst and Riven for next to nothing the other day just for fun to have a look round again, bring back some extraordinairy wonderful memories ( i played all versions together with my brother ). Looks better than ever on my W7/64 machine, still magical. While Myst was released almost 20 years ago the last sequel, End Of Ages, came out in 2005. ( it's sort of FS amongst graphic adventure games )

I envy anybody who has never entered the mythical world of Myst.

http://youtu.be/J8npW85PW0s

( don't want to hijack your Far Cry thread, Ferry. I played the first edition for about an hour many moons ago but lost interest. I was just wondering if anybody here knows about Myst and its sequels )

cheers,
jan

hairyspin
December 27th, 2012, 13:28
I was just wondering if anybody here knows about Myst and its sequels

Yep, played 'em all. Best puzzles in Riven, best 3D action/plot in Myst III. Myst V is the poorest imo, I'm not a New Ager. Still get the hairs going up on my neck at the original's soundtrack, best waste of time I ever spent on a PC.

Javis
December 29th, 2012, 19:20
Agreed ! Great you played them all ! :cool:

I loved Riven most too. Myst I was so overwhelming because it was totally new in many aspects. Immensly difficult to deliver a sequel of the same beauty, quality and innovation. No problem for the Miller brothers, they produced something even better. Sadly the following chapters proved that the Miller bros had less and less to do with the production. Uru was a silly myst'ache.

As far as i'm concerned nothing better re graphic adventure games has ever turned up and it very much looks like nothing ever will neither.

cheers,
jan

Francois
December 30th, 2012, 03:09
Just stumbled onto this (not visiting forums much these days).... and YES, I love FC3 too. Been playing it since Dec 20th...... much to Nina's dismay. She thinks I should be WORKING instead of playing childish computer games.

But then again, she says the same thing when I am testing our add-ons....... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

The graphics are GREAT and I love the fact you can just roam around the islands without immediately being pushed into following the path to finish the game. I bought THIS game instead of yet another Assassin's Creed sequel (another game I loved playing for many months).