PDA

View Full Version : Aviation postcards

Ralf Roggeveen
December 24th, 2012, 05:33
Seasons' Greetings everybody.

One of my other anoraks is that of the postcard collector - here are a few which tick the aeroplane and ppc boxes:

It says on the back:

B.O.A.C. Britannia aircraft powered by 4 Proteus Turbo-Propellor engines. Designed and built by the Bristol Aeroplane Company.

This is the Jewel in the Crown of the whole collection:

It was posted from Ahmadi Kuwait on 21 September 1963 (my father's 41st birthday, by coincidence). Will show you scan of the other side later...

And my final BOAC card. Funny I haven't got any Boeings in their livery - just Brits! (unlike the actual airline).

Anybody else got aeroplane cards? I'll post some more over the next few days if anyone's interested.

Happy :santahat::snowman::icon29:!

lefty
December 24th, 2012, 06:15
Hey Ralf, great to hear from you, you old rascal.

Nice cards - have flown in all three aircraft, although the Comet was in Dan-Air livery !

Post as many as you like....

regards Mike

Ralf Roggeveen
December 24th, 2012, 11:39
Greetings O great Left-handed One o'the North (though you'll nae doot be doon the pub this nicht*)..!

Everybody wants to see the Boeings now.

:greece:Olympic 707-320 which I went in in 1974:

Very nice :ethiopia:Ethiopian 720-024B:

(This may have been taken in Holland since the photographer is credited as Richard Vandervord.)

:unitedstates:Pan Am 727:

:germany:Lufthansa ditto:

The card usefully gives all technical details - length, wingspan, speeds, range, etc - in both metric and imperial units (!)

(*or at church, or both, one after the other)

Ralf Roggeveen
December 25th, 2012, 22:33
Sexy back end of a :southafrica:South African 727 at Louis Botha Airport, Durban:

(It might have been pleasant to see that girl in the yellow minidress a bit closer up, but we're here for aeroplanes!)

This is from my local international, :unitedkingdom:East Midlands:

I did once work out all the insignias (might have another go now that they'll be appearing bigger). It's the airport most similar to the FS9 medium-sized default efforts that I've ever discovered).

Fine late Viscounts at :scotland:Aberdeen:

Daresay Lefty is familiar with the place - don't know anything about British World, though BWA is not to be confused with the much greater BWI.

lefty
December 26th, 2012, 01:14
Funnily enough, I've flown out of East Midlands, but never Aberdeen, although I've spent a bit of time there picking up other people.

Re that E.Midlands shot, Ralf - did we not have a debate about the insignia on the last aircraft in that line-up ? I remember doing the research and coming up with the answer, but blessed if I can remember what it was ! Something Welsh ?

Ferry_vO
December 26th, 2012, 02:42
Greetings O great Left-handed One o'the North (though you'll nae doot be doon the pub this nicht*)..!

(This may have been taken in Holland since the photographer is credited as Richard Vandervord.)

Looks like it could have been taken at the old 'East' section of Schiphol.

Only four photos of the ET-AFK on airliners.net, with a bit of info: ET-AFK (cn 18417/295) Still looking good at the end of her Ethiopian career, this 720 first served Continental as N57201 between 4.62 and 11.74. To Davis Monthan for KC-135 spares reclaimation and eventually broken up

Edit: The other Ethiopian Boeing 720 at Heathrow, with somewhat similar looking background: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ethiopian-Airlines/Boeing-720-060B/1812207/&sid=2e1192b90255967c5335d457deeff4a2

I did once work out all the insignias (might have another go now that they'll be appearing bigger). It's the airport most similar to the FS9 medium-sized default efforts that I've ever discovered).

The first two are easy, the third aircraft appears to be a Dan-Air BAC 1-11 with hush kit, don't have a clue what the aircraft with the bird on the tail is, and behind that is a Short 360 I think.

Ralf Roggeveen
December 26th, 2012, 22:25
Yes we did get that wretched bird once - it looks kind of African: Air Emu?

Yo, Ferry - nice Uiver link, that is the most wonderful fs aircraft ever; must get them out and have a few adventures... Think you may well be right about the Ethiopian photo.

Here's an (sorry, THE) Air Anglia Friendship:

They were based at Norwich (like Alan Partridge). They had that, four DC-3s, a Britten-Norman Islander, four Piper Aztecs,a Twin Comanche and one each of Cessnas 172, 170 and 206 (according to a 1973 book). 'International' in that they got as far as Amsterdam and Rotterdam - oh yes, and Aberdeen. (I won't make a stupid joke about the Islander being for internal East Anglian flights to the Isle of Ely.)

Interesting Farnborough DC-3 with a funny nose for testing snoopy stuff:

The Catalina Society Cat in 1997 (possibly bought on board, I've seen it at various shows):

Ralf Roggeveen
December 29th, 2012, 22:52
Thought the big bird might be Air Rhodesia - but it's not! Why do airlines like birds so much? The search goes on.

World Airways DC-8:

They were the 'world's largest charter airline' as even the back of this card reminds us. In 1972/3 they had:

5 x 707-373C
4 x 727-73QC
3 x DC8-63CF
3 x 747C on order for 1974
Option on 3 x DC10 for '73

Canadian 747s:

Wardair one sent by 'Bruce' from Vancouver in September 1989. Don't know whether he's improved or ruined the card by marking where he sat!

Air Canada:

I went there in the early '80s, but think it was with British and I only flew Air Canada internally CYMX - CYYC.

This is a nice picture of a WORK OF ART called Sky Drawings by Layla Curtis:

It's actually an 11 minute video installation, so you can sit and watch contrails (and aircraft lights at night). Not sure which airport she used though.

Anybody else got any old aeroplane postcards?