PDA

View Full Version : Makemdl.parts Issue for 4-engined Turboprops

Milton Shupe
December 22nd, 2012, 21:34
I discovered today that the FS9/gmax/makemdl.parts xml file lacks proper support for condition levers for engines 3 and 4. The makemdl support was apparently setup for the King Air 350 based on the tooltips. Although the 3 and 4 condition levers would move and shut off fuel, you could not individually mouse them; move 1 and 3 and 4 moved with it.

So, I updated the xml to properly support 3 and 4 to get the Dash 7 working properly.

In trying to get these fixes done, the 5 models that I had just exported yesterday would not export. Makemdl just blew off with its typical non-specific error messages.

Fortunately, I still have the old gmax/makemdl version from FS8. I ran the model through that and as usual, it told me what the issues were. :-/ This is a great way to determine why FS9's makemdl won't export. I have used it to sort out my problems many times.

But aside from FS9 makemdl's lack of help, I have to wonder why the 5 models i exported yesterday would not export today. The issue was with 8 parts that the FS8 makemdl said had materials assigned but no UVW maps. WTF! So I go check and sure enough that is the case. Where are my maps going? This happens on occasion and I have never found the cause.

Once I remap, all is well.

Has anyone experienced this or heard of a fix?

Dev One
December 23rd, 2012, 04:26
Sounds similar to my query with you Milton - heck knows what that problem is though apart from trying a work around......Hope you haven't caught a bug from my e-mail to you?
Keith

EDIT - thinking about it a bit longer - most of my issues of not exporting otherwise have been due to the 64K poly limit problem - But I find that limit also included animations - so with your inclusion of levers 3 & 4 - did that go above the level? The log txt readout might give you a clue.
HTH
K

Milton Shupe
December 23rd, 2012, 06:21
Sounds similar to my query with you Milton - heck knows what that problem is though apart from trying a work around......Hope you haven't caught a bug from my e-mail to you?
Keith

EDIT - thinking about it a bit longer - most of my issues of not exporting otherwise have been due to the 64K poly limit problem - But I find that limit also included animations - so with your inclusion of levers 3 & 4 - did that go above the level? The log txt readout might give you a clue.
HTH
K

K,

No, I had exported all the model variants fine with the condition levers. I simply added the 2 new updates to makemdl.parts and was trying to export the models without any changes. They all bombed out with the typical makemdl compiler errors, non-specific.

I uses FS8's gmax/makemdl export to see what the errors were and that is when I discovered the missing UVW mapping on 8 parts.

So, I remapped the parts using FS9's gmax and exported ... worked fine.
The gmax source had not been touched between the two "exported okay-bombed" sessions. :isadizzy: