PDA

View Full Version : Using 3-views for resource modeling?

OleBoy
December 22nd, 2012, 11:22
I've a question for fellow modelers here in the member base that I hope someone can steer me the right direction.
I have a set of drawings that I want to use for creating a model. There are no dimensions anywhere, although they appear to be scaled fairly well.

The drawings are of a vehicle. Left, right, front, back and top views.
Common sense tells me to make a 6-sided rectangle and place the well trimmed side view on the right side, then continue by adding the other views to the remaining representative sides and scale as needed to match the right-side view.
It makes sense. Although adding both left and right sides and trying to model does not make sense. They are not CAD drawings of equal dimension.

So, stepping back and rethinking about things, I think my best plan of attack is to place the right-side-view, scale to size guestimate, and start modeling. Calculus with a micrometer is not necessary, although it would help if I searched for actual L/W/H dimensions wouldn't it? Then once I get the form of the right side pronounced, duplicate that side for the left-side and then set to the needed width for scale measurements. Or would it be best to extrude (push/pull) the right side over for the left side to retain form? Either way does the same thing. (What ever works?)

bazzar
December 22nd, 2012, 14:00
The key issue is having the correct dimensions. Unless the subject is extremely rare, you should find something on the net.

The process is actually simple enough. Make your box to the same length (either metres or feet) as the dimension of the subject and in top view make it the same width (wingspan) as the subject. Make your side, top and front view "texture" tiles and map the box, editing the map to make the subject drawing just clip the edges of the various box sides.

You now have a side and top (and front if you want it) view, accurately dimensioned and ready to start your build. Remember to place the drawing on the box (or the box itself) so that an aircraft (or vehicle wheelbase) dataline is in the right place, on x and y axis.

You only need the other side view for reference. A quick and easy way to do fuselages for example, is to build a half (like a plastic model) and then mirror, cutting any doors, windows and hatches once you have the fuselage correctly profiled.

Everybody has different ways of doing it but the principles are the same, whether you are building a plane, car, boat or outhouse.

Quick and dirty guide to getting started!

Have a great Christmas.:engel016:

stiz
December 23rd, 2012, 00:02
as bazzar says theres several ways of doing it. Its just a matter chooseing which one works for you.

Heres another way if you dont have the dimensions of the object, http://www.the-blueprints.com/tutorials/3dmax/ , (however for fsx dont change the units, keep them to meters), then you can just scale it down till it "looks right" size wise. Nobodys gonna notice if a jeep for scenery is a few inches off, well, the vast majority wont, they'll be one that lambasts you for haveing it .1cm out :engel016: