PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Eoraptor1
December 21st, 2012, 13:52
I had some of the same feeling watching this movie as I did when I first saw The Watchmen: I have no idea what this movie looks like to someone who isn’t part of the nerd community. There’s plenty of action and excitement once Peter Jackson gets around to it, but does he ever take his sweet time getting there. I could easily picture parents bringing their small children to see this and having a good deal of trouble keeping them still in their seats for the first half. I’m a G.A.M., and found myself fidgeting. I’m not going to summarize the story because I’m guessing any member who visits this post already has a good idea as to the general outline; if not from having read the book, then from the media blitz surrounding the film’s release. I'm guessing you already know this is the story of how hobbit Bilbo Baggins acquire what will be revealed in The Lord of the Rings as the One Ring. I will repeat that according to the Official Hobbit website, there will be three films, as was done for The Lord of the Rings, even though The Hobbit is a much shorter work. Also, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee, and Ian McKellan all return to reprise their LOTR roles, as does Andy Sekeris as Gollum. I went with my cousin in tow, to see the 3D version. I wear bifocals, so I generally avoid 3D features, but the glasses we got at the Regal Theater were of reasonably high quality, and fit well over my own glasses. I had no trouble seeing full 3-D. The visual effect really do pop right out at you.

The screenplay stays more or less faithful to the book, but several key events are switched around, and one character who appears in Lord of the Rings but not The Hobbit, but was excised from the film version of LOTR, appears in the film version of The Hobbit. Things like this drive Tolkien purists screeching crazy, but I’m not a purist anything, and it gets on my nerves when fanboys start acting like clergy enforcing church edicts, so I’m in a place where I take a kind of perverse enjoyment of their discomfiture. A good deal of the material comes from the appendices from LOTR. For instance, we get to see the War of the Dwarves and Orcs in Moria.

The film is LONG, nearly three hours. I thought it could have easily lost 20-30 minutes of travelogue. For much of the first half of the movie I felt like I was watching one of the Beautiful Earth series on Blu-Ray. I don’t know if they made one for New Zealand, but I suspect it would look very much like The Hobbit. Peter Jackson really makes his homeland look good. I hear it’s a 13-hour flight so this is probably as close as I’ll get to visiting. The slow buildup may have been the point, as the visual world is very very deeply realized onscreen. Someone did a lot of birdwatching in preparation for this movie. This is in keeping with how Tolkien wrote the source material. A good deal of The Hobbit reads like a naturalist’s guide. Tolkien spends a good deal of time discussing the wildlife of various regions, including the lineage of various bird species (this becomes vital to the plot as it unfolds) and even butterflies. One of our local movie critics thought this amounted to a visual extravaganza, and another (whose review I just read today) just found it ponderous. Some of that , I think, was generational. Someone whose attention span has been defined by single-person shooters and Quentin Tarentino movies might have trouble getting through this, even if they liked the LOTR movies. Someone who thinks Sergio Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America is an underrated cinematic masterpiece, and wants an extended version on Blu-Ray, will probably love it.

One thing I thought the film did very well was capture the Tolkienesque view which values the "little" guy, in this case both figuratively and literally. You find the idea in a lot of his writing, which I believe to be a counterpoint to the "Great Man" view of history, that the high and mighty muckety-mucks of the world get us into lots of trouble with their vainglorying, but the heavy-lifting always ends up being borne by the little guy, as do the consequences. Middle Earth is a fantasy landscape, but Tolkien actually did many of the things he writes about. He was a war veteran, a horse trainer, and an academic who enjoyed a pipe and simple food. Apart from having been in WWI himself, he eventually sent his son to WWII. Thus, something one of the movie’s reviewers here in Western New York said in his review, "It’s impossible to distinguish between the dwarves" struck me as jarring. Not only did I have no trouble distinguishing them, Peter Jackson designed their visual appearance so that they could be easily distinguished at a distance. This is a peeve I have with movie, music, and especially literary critics: they often present what is clearly an opinion, as irrefutable fact. Again, I must add as a caveat here, that I am a deep nerd and have been reading Tolkien since I was 12.

IMO a lot of the production design comes directly from Brian Froud and Alan Lee’s artbook Faeries, which is now available in its 25th anniversary edition, and which I used to own, but gave to a pretty girl. I saw quite a bit of Pan’s Labyrinth and also some of Jim Henson’s Labyrinth. There was a definite Monty Python-ish element to the tone of the story and I found myself thinking of Time Bandits more than once. I even thought of The Warriors in places; I half expected Thorin Oakenshield to say "I’m sick of running from wimps!"

The movie was filmed using an advanced high definition digital process which supposedly doubles the number of frames per minutes over the LOTR movies. I don’t pretend to understand it in total, but the visuals were deeply immersive. That may have been the 3D, however. I still have a free movie pass to burn up, and I’m tempted to go see the 2D version just to see if the experience loses anything. In short, I very much enjoyed the movie, but my initial thought is that it could have lost 20-30 minutes of footage and only strengthened the experience. The reason I qualify this statement is because I remember thinking the same thing about The Two Towers the first time I saw it, but ended up getting the even longer extended version and loving it. As of this writing, Part 1 has already made truckloads of money at the box office, and we have the next two movies to look forward to, but be advised, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey takes A LOT of time building up. IMO, if you like your fantasy delivered Avengers style with nonstop action, you might want to wait till this comes out on DVD or Netflix.

JAMES

Sascha66
December 21st, 2012, 14:32
Hi James,

thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write this review which I believe to be much more thoughtful and balanced than most professional critiques I have read about.

Myself - I am looking forward to seeing the movie with my brother on Boxing Day.

Did you feel that the HFR thing detracted from the storyline? That seemed to be the case for many other viewers who found themselves overwhelmed by the visual splendor at the cost of story immersion.

Regards,
Sascha

Eoraptor1
December 21st, 2012, 16:41
Hi James,

thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write this review which I believe to be much more thoughtful and balanced than most professional critiques I have read about.

Myself - I am looking forward to seeing the movie with my brother on Boxing Day.

Did you feel that the HFR thing detracted from the storyline? That seemed to be the case for many other viewers who found themselves overwhelmed by the visual splendor at the cost of story immersion.

Regards,
Sascha

Thank you for your sentiments, Sascha. Sometimes I get into a hyper mood and spew words on the computer. Movie reviews are safer than some other topics. In answer to your question, I loved the visuals personally, but then I went in already intimately familiar with the story, so I may not be the best person to ask. I went hoping for immersion, and got it. For instance, you really get the feeling of what it's like to live in a hobbit hole. I could definitely see how people not particularly into Tolkien would see this as gilding the lily, but to me it was glorious. The main thing is that the movie takes its time getting going. There's especially a good deal of time taken examining the motivations of Thorin Oakenshield, i.e., why is he so unyielding, and what precisely does he have against the elves. What I really wanted to see, but was only teased with, is a fully rendered Smaug the Golden. I saw Dragonslayer when I was a yoot, and think that film still holds up very well. We'll see.

JAMES

Dain Arns
December 21st, 2012, 17:16
I'd say to all who are wondering...
Don't pay attention to any of the paid 'critics' who have made negative comments about this film.
I have no idea what they saw, but it wasn't the same movie I watched and most thoroughly enjoyed.
The 2D is just as fantastic, but I could see where the 3d would be distracting in some parts.
3 hour movie that went by like a breeze, and leaves you wanting to see it again, and the next installment next year.

'The Hobbit' is more adventurous, light-hearted, fantastic, and I would say less serious and dark than 'Lord of The Rings'.
Dwarves are dwarves. Folk who live large and live merry.
It is a trilogy of movies, so yes, there is some length to the 'set-up' at the start to get this epic rolling.
Not everyone will be familiar with the dwarves and their tale.
But if you have seen the LOTR movies, you'll quickly feel at home, because you do know most of the major characters and locations.
And immediately when the film started, it felt really great to be back in Middle Earth once more.

HouseHobbit
December 21st, 2012, 18:16
Take it from a Hobbit.
I saw this a day or so ago,
One of the things that did impress me was that they took parts of the Simarillion and used this as the filler for this movie..
Now I know why three films not just one.. (besides making more money this way)

The background from the Simarillion (Of the Rings of power and the Third age)
Which most haven't read added to the understanding for those of us who have read all the books by Tolkien..
This Movie stopped at a point where unless you have a knowledge of these Books was a bit disappointing..

A hobbits view of this was Good, yes a wonderful way that they put this together..
More like a tale for Children from the past then the more modern facts only type of film
As it all was written for Master Tolkien's Children as a child's tale in many places this did Honor that format.

But over all I will say it was a good movie and I would recommend it to all..
:applause: :applause: :applause:

warchild
December 21st, 2012, 18:47
I think the Battle of the Somme mat have blunted Mr Tolkiens likings for "great" men.. The commanding general for the British forces got 60000 out of 66000 men killed in one day. 30000 died in the first hour, and mr tolkien was among the 6000 that survived. I know for myselfthat that would certainly put me off kings and lifers and other forms of false great men, and start looking for truly great men like Aragorn, or Gimly, or even a couple little hobbits named Bilbo and Frodo.. Men who were more concerned with their families, friends and the welfare of their people than anything else..

luckydog
December 21st, 2012, 20:59
I enjoyed it.......

Eoraptor1
December 22nd, 2012, 05:49
I think the Battle of the Somme mat have blunted Mr Tolkiens likings for "great" men.. The commanding general for the British forces got 60000 out of 66000 men killed in one day. 30000 died in the first hour, and mr tolkien was among the 6000 that survived. I know for myselfthat that would certainly put me off kings and lifers and other forms of false great men, and start looking for truly great men like Aragorn, or Gimly, or even a couple little hobbits named Bilbo and Frodo.. Men who were more concerned with their families, friends and the welfare of their people than anything else..

I'm inclined to argee with this. Also, if you look at the decriptions of the Dead Marshes, with its unburied bodies floating in the bog, and Mordor, with its volcano blasted landscape and noxious fumes, you could be forgiven for thinking you were reading about a WWI battlefield.

JAMES

n4gix
December 22nd, 2012, 06:22
I'm very much afraid that I'll have to wait for the Blu-Ray version to be released, as there's absolutly no possible way my bladder could hold for 3+ hours without bursting...

...and I certainly would not want to miss a moment of the movie by stepping out to the restroom!

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get away with using a condom catheter and bag? :icon_lol:

Dain Arns
December 22nd, 2012, 06:42
I'm very much afraid that I'll have to wait for the Blu-Ray version to be released, as there's absolutly no possible way my bladder could hold for 3+ hours without bursting...

...and I certainly would not want to miss a moment of the movie by stepping out to the restroom!

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get away with using a condom catheter and bag? :icon_lol:

You need this: http://runpee.com/
This app notifies you when its okay to run to the bathroom during a slow part in a long movie, and tells you what you are missing. :icon_lol:

(I understand, I was starting to cramp up a bit when the end title credits started to roll. :isadizzy:
But it is worth seeing on the big screen at least once.)

EasyEd
December 22nd, 2012, 11:44
Hey All,

I prefer reality-based to fantasy-based with the possible exception of Rocky Horror. :icon_lol::icon_lol::bump:

That said What author has not consciously or subconsciously had real life experiences influence their writing? It is no surprise but to be expected and an automatic google in this day and age.

I see many probably read or had to read Tolkien in high school usually. It was assigned to my class as I recall but I even then subconsciously applied a simple test - Is this potentially a John Wayne movie? If not why bother so I read the yellow and black version (most here should know what that is/was).

But that aside the book that most impacted me in my life was The grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. He too glorified the "little man" and all of his writings include some influence of the great depression through which he struggled. I see constantly in the writings of those who lived through "hard times" the impact of those hard times and war and depressions are certainly hard times - and those who went through hard times tend to value the "little man". Something about real humanity coming through and the the putting of greed and avarice in their proper place.

Steinbeck wrote "If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones."

I probably won't go see this as Lincoln is of far more interest but do look forward to seeing it on television.

-Ed-

Odie
December 22nd, 2012, 13:07
As I was watching THE HOBBIT: AUJ, I found myself remembering parts of the 1970s made-for-tv movie that animated the tale. I'll have to dig out the DVD and rewatch it. This version (2012) I enjoyed as much as the LOTR trilogy of films. It had the look and feel of the prior films and didn't seem to drag at any particular points. I knew we would only get glipses of Smaug, with the battle with him reserved for the final film of this trilogy, but the small reveals were very good. I enjoyed seeing the LOTR's cast reappering in THE HOBBIT which brought the connection between the films together for any that may not have read the books.

We passed on seeing the 3D version and instead saw the 2D which was on a huge screen and brought out the New Zealand backdrop in what should be a starring role of "Middle Earth".

I look forward to seeing it again to see what details I may have missed and await the release of the extended version on Blu-Ray.

It's worth the price of admission and it's a good way to immerse yourself in a tale of adventuring in a land and time beyond our doorstep.

As Gandalf said to Bilbo in the animated film, "To carry a sword instead of a walking stick?"

"Just once," was Bilbo's reply.

n4gix
December 23rd, 2012, 07:24
You need this: http://runpee.com/
This app notifies you when its okay to run to the bathroom during a slow part in a long movie, and tells you what you are missing. :icon_lol:
Oh my, there really is an "app" for darn near everything. Unfortunately, I'll have to do without since all I own is a "Stupid Phone..." :blind:

TeaSea
December 23rd, 2012, 11:11
My daughter and I just returned from seeing it. Her comments just about summed it up:

It was too long and at the end it was "to be continued!?"

Scenery was spectacular though.