View Full Version : IRIS Vulcan?

big-mike
December 19th, 2012, 06:20
Who owns her and how are your thoughts?
Thank you
Michael

Dave Torkington
December 19th, 2012, 08:16
Beautiful, iconic, ground breaking, awe inspiring, fear inspiring aircraft [do I sound bias because I live very close to where she was built :icon_lol:].

Seriously Michael, if you want to get an impression of the real thing, then in my opinion Iris' version is easily the best. Excellent VC, animations and textures make it so.

On release back in 2009 it was $49.99 AUD which I was very glad to pay for such a stunning rendition!

Iris are selling her for $10.00 AUD so I'd say - grab a bargain :salute:

Dave.

big-mike
December 19th, 2012, 08:20
Thank you,Dave.
I hoped for this reply!
Old,loud and a smoker----great.
Off to purchase.:running:
Michael

warchild
December 19th, 2012, 09:41
make sure to keep the manual handy. she can be a pain in the ass to start..

big-mike
December 19th, 2012, 09:53
Thanks,Pam.
Allready noticed this.
Michael

DaveQ
December 31st, 2012, 03:48
I bought this in their sale - a brilliant price $10AUD - and can get her started on rapid start-up easy enough. Trouble is the electrics go out after about 10 mins. flight time. No autopilot, radios or HSI and the gear refuses to come down at any speed. So not landed it yet....! What have I missed??

Have a good New Year's Eve all!

DaveQ

hschuit
December 31st, 2012, 04:07
I bought this in their sale - a brilliant price $10AUD - and can get her started on rapid start-up easy enough. Trouble is the electrics go out after about 10 mins. flight time. No autopilot, radios or HSI and the gear refuses to come down at any speed. So not landed it yet....! What have I missed??

DaveQ

That sounds like your batteries went flat because the alternators are not working. Did you notice the yellow warning lights on the top of the panel? Not sure if it helps but here is a shortened startup checklist for dummies (like myself):

START Engine 1------------------------------------
Right console:
- Raise armrest for better access
- Electrical Master Switch ON
- Engine Air Switch 1 ON
Fuel Panel:
- Raise armrests for better access
- Engine Fuel Control Switches AUTO
- Pump Switches ON
- Cross Feed Switches ON
Left Console:
- Powered Flight Control system: Click each switch to extinguish red lights.
- Ignition switch ON
- Starter Master switch ON (Air Cross Feed indicator becomes striped)
- Press the engine 1 starter button, check that the indicator light in the button comes on.
Wait for 10 seconds, checking that the oil pressure and RPM are rising, then move the throttle to idle.

START Engine 2,3,4--------------------------------
- Set the RPM of number 1 engine to 50% and check that its engine air switch is open.
- Open the engine air switch of the engine to be started.
- Start that engine in the manner described above.

AFTER START CHECKS--------------------------------
- Starter Master switch OFF
- Ignition switch OFF
- Engine air switches All SHUT
- Pressure head heater switch ON

peter12213
December 31st, 2012, 06:47
There's great videos on YouTube on the startup, I just use the rapid start which was used for Cold War scrambles, I love this jet it's VC is great and systems work great too! 10/10!

DaveQ
December 31st, 2012, 08:17
That sounds like your batteries went flat because the alternators are not working. Did you notice the yellow warning lights on the top of the panel? Not sure if it helps but here is a shortened startup checklist for dummies (like myself):

START Engine 1------------------------------------
Right console:
- Raise armrest for better access
- Electrical Master Switch ON
- Engine Air Switch 1 ON
Fuel Panel:
- Raise armrests for better access
- Engine Fuel Control Switches AUTO
- Pump Switches ON
- Cross Feed Switches ON
Left Console:
- Powered Flight Control system: Click each switch to extinguish red lights.
- Ignition switch ON
- Starter Master switch ON (Air Cross Feed indicator becomes striped)
- Press the engine 1 starter button, check that the indicator light in the button comes on.
Wait for 10 seconds, checking that the oil pressure and RPM are rising, then move the throttle to idle.

START Engine 2,3,4--------------------------------
- Set the RPM of number 1 engine to 50% and check that its engine air switch is open.
- Open the engine air switch of the engine to be started.
- Start that engine in the manner described above.

AFTER START CHECKS--------------------------------
- Starter Master switch OFF
- Ignition switch OFF
- Engine air switches All SHUT
- Pressure head heater switch ON

Thanks Henk. Yeah - got that. No amber alternator failure light. Electrics just quit about 5-10 mins after start-up. Thought engine 1 might have failed but no. Usually use rapid start but might try normal start instead. Does anyone know how to get to their forum? Can't see from the website.

DaveQ

Geomitrak
December 31st, 2012, 13:30
Dead easy to start the Iris Vulcan, once you have watched the Youtube tutorials. A good model, well worth the asking price.

warchild
December 31st, 2012, 18:34
Dead easy to start the Iris Vulcan, once you have watched the Youtube tutorials. A good model, well worth the asking price.
heh, then you sir have a wonderful talent.. Every time i pull it out i'm left scratching my head trying to remember ::LOL:: Guess its just a senile thing..

TARPSBird
December 31st, 2012, 22:58
heh, then you sir have a wonderful talent.. Every time i pull it out i'm left scratching my head trying to remember ::LOL:: Guess its just a senile thing..
I refuse to believe it's senility (LOL) but I was like you the other night after I installed the Vulcan and went to fire it up. Took me about an hour of messing around. I'm like, OK, got the crossfeed pumps turned on, fuel tanks all on... Hmm, I'll turn these on too... Press quick start... Hey, I got one engine lit off, now how come I... Awright, the other three just lit off! Yay me! :icon_lol:

sknepper
January 1st, 2013, 13:53
I have been fortunate enough to enjoy the IRIS Vulcan for a while now. I have to agree with Henk that his description is a way to startup. However, if I am impatient, I will use the rapid start which works like a charm. Thanks to Youtube for the great videos.

Timmy74
November 18th, 2016, 00:26

DaveQ

Hello DaveQ,

Sorry digging up an old thread but i am getting the same issue!!! I can start her fine -both rapid and normal starts- but about ten minutes into the flight...I lose the electrics!!! No autopilot, radios or HSI!!?!?!

Did you ever sort this frustrating thing out? If so what did you do please?

Regards,
Tim.

WarHorse47
November 18th, 2016, 05:51
Hello DaveQ,

Sorry digging up an old thread but i am getting the same issue!!! I can start her fine -both rapid and normal starts- but about ten minutes into the flight...I lose the electrics!!! No autopilot, radios or HSI!!?!?!

Regards,
Tim.This is typically related to your default flight. If you have created a default flight in a cold-and-dark state with the battery, generator and avionics set to 'false' or off, not all addon aircraft take that into consideration. What you have described is the same issue with the latest AH Meteor which loses electrics after a few minutes because the generator is not turned on and the battery drains despite following the prescribed startup procedure.

The only fix that works for me is to assign keyboard commands to these three items. I believe I have shift+V for battery (V for voltage), shift+C for generator (C for current) and shift+A for avionics.

DaveQ
November 18th, 2016, 08:24
Hello DaveQ,

Regards,
Tim.

I did after going to the support forum as I recall. But I haven't flown it for so long now I have no idea how!! Warhorse's response is your best bet.

DaveQ

Ian Warren
November 18th, 2016, 09:55
I simply love the VULCAN , it is a regular one that gets installed and flown :encouragement:

Paul K
November 18th, 2016, 10:51
Try the following cfg edit. It is what was posted in the Iris support forum an age ago.

[electrical]
;BusType, MaxAmpLoad, MinVoltage ;BusTypes:0=MainBus,1=AvionicsBus,2=BatteryBus,3=H otBatteryBus,4-7=Generator/AlternatorBus(1-4)

max_battery_voltage = 24.0
generator_alternator_voltage = 28.0
max_generator_alternator_amps = 60.0
electrical_always_on = 1

flap_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0
gear_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0
autopilot = 0, 5 , 17.0
avionics_bus = 0, 10, 17.0
avionics = 1, 5 , 17.0
pitot_heat = 0, 2 , 17.0
additional_system = 0, 20, 17.0
marker_beacon = 1, 2 , 17.0
gear_warning = 0, 2 , 17.0
fuel_pump = 0, 5 , 17.0
starter1 = 0, 20, 17.0
light_nav = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_beacon = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_landing = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_taxi = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_strobe = 0, 5 , 17.0
light_panel = 0, 5 , 17.0[

Timmy74
November 18th, 2016, 11:46
Thank you very much gentlemen. I will get onto that.

I find it very interesting that about 6 weeks ago I did a FULL reinstall of FSX and created my default flight as "cold and dark" (all with default aircraft/airport and weather) and when I bought the Meteor she flew with no problems at all. However, the other night I did notice that her electrics did fail not long after departing from YTWH....!?!?

As for the Vulcan, she worked fine in my previous FSX with a created "Cold and Dark" -again using default aircraft/airport and weather- but for some reason my new install of FSX is like you said WarHorse47 "This is typically related to your default flight. If you have created a default flight in a cold-and-dark state with the battery, generator and avionics set to 'false' or off, not all addon aircraft take that into consideration"

The only difference that I can think of is that my previous FSX "Cold and Dark" default set up was using the C-172 with the G 1000 (Glass) cockpit. Now my new FSX "Cold and Dark" is using the "Steam gauge" cockpit....? I am wondering if that is an issue somewhere deep within FSX coding at all...!?! Still i am confused about the Meteor -working fine one day then the pits the next?

Anyway, that is another discussion and I will press on with all of your inputs.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,
Tim.

Ian Warren
November 18th, 2016, 13:28
Good Mate Greg aka 'Scaber' stopped here a few weeks after I brought the Vulcan , he was a little hesitant .. but after after my little display it was straight home and brought it ... appears regular in his screens. :adoration:

Craig Taylor
November 18th, 2016, 18:04
I had the same electrical issue described above, and believe I used a keyboard command to turn on something electric-related that didn't have a corresponding switch in the VC (or checklist). I think I found it in an old thread on here somewhere, from back when the Vulcan was first released. I don't have the IRIS Vulcan installed now since I moved to Win10 and haven't gotten around to reinstalling everything, but i think Paul K's suggested cfg edit might do the trick. It's worth a shot, anyway. I'm interested to hear if that does the trick.

EDIT: I don't think it had anything to do with my default flight. I used to load the Vulcan straight from the aircraft/flight page.

Timmy74
November 18th, 2016, 22:02
Ok chaps this is what I have come up with....

FSX I can "Hot Key" (as per WarHorse47 recommendations), Master Battery, Gen/ALT and Avionics which help in the stopping of shutting down the electrics after a few minutes in the air. Thus not reverting back to the original "Default" set up (that is keeping my C&D setup) I can use these hot keys to keep things going...PHEW!!!

Now for P3D -for which i was having issues too- there is no CHANCE!!! I have to revert back to the original "Default" setup. I have tried assigning "Hot Keys" in P3Dv3 too but they just do not seem to work.

So in conclusion I can now fly the IRIS Vulcan with very little trouble now thanks to you guys giving me some input. Sorry PaulK your entry into the aircraft.cfg file did not seem to work nor help.

I thank you all so very much.:jump:

Regards,
Tim.

Paul K
November 18th, 2016, 23:52
Sorry PaulK your entry into the aircraft.cfg file did not seem to work nor help.

Ah well, it was worth a punt. I found that .cfg edit in my Iris Vulcan download back-up folder, but thinking back, it was a solution to a problem I wasn't actually having. My problem was that after loading the Vulcan, and sitting in the VC, the tail strike warning would keep activating, even though the aircraft was static with everything turned off. I also had a problem with the airbrake animation, details of which I can't remember. Anyway ( and again, this is from vague memory ) there was a combination of key presses that reset everything, and from there one could commence the start-up procedure without further ado. I believe it was Ctrl+M. You might like to try that and see if it has any effect - let the Vulcan load up, let everything settle down, and before doing anything else, press Ctrl+M.

I have the Iris Vulcan installed in P3Dv3.4, but haven't really done anything with it. Still a very good model, though P3D's lighting has an odd effect on the VC instrument reflections. It might be something to do with HDR or dynamic reflections settings, so I'll tinker with it in due course. I'll let you know if I have the electrical problem too.