PDA

View Full Version : Does FSX work with Windows 8?

Walter
December 18th, 2012, 17:00
I just got a new computer, and it has Windows 8 installed. I had an issue installing FSX, and it made me wonder... Is there a compatibility issue with FSX and Windows 8?

AndyE1976
December 18th, 2012, 17:34
Nope, run FSX on Windows 8 fine here. Can't recall having any installation issues either except with Ultimate Traffic 2.

Only issue I have at the moment is that the REX weather engine doesn't automatically start with FSX, but I also upgraded REX, so it may be that.

glennc
December 18th, 2012, 17:34
I upgraded to Win8 and have almost no issues since then. I do have one thing that I bought a few days ago that I'm having problems with. I'm talking with the developer about it so I won't point fingers at this time. Glenn

Walter
December 18th, 2012, 18:17
Ok, thank you. I may just need to try installing it again.

level 7
December 18th, 2012, 18:19
Windows 8 seemed to give smoother performance and the Vertical Sync seemed to work automatically
unfortunately though my joysticks would always disappear during flights so i went back to Windows 7
a shame because Windows 8 under the hood seems a bit faster than 7

orionll
December 18th, 2012, 19:00
Everything works fine here with Windows 8 Pro (64 bit) and Flight Simulator X: Acceleration.

MartinM
December 19th, 2012, 03:23
No bis issues running Windows 8 64-Bit and FSX + Acceleration

Autothumbnail does not work any longer.

Cheers
Martin

papab
December 19th, 2012, 03:27
No bis issues running Windows 8 64-Bit and FSX + Acceleration

Autothumbnail does not work any longer.

Cheers
Martin

Try this program:
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/?3.0

It works great!
Rick

glennc
December 19th, 2012, 18:52
I placed a hint about a problem in my earlier post. I'll brag on the customer support by Jarrad at FTX for Orbx Felts. Win8 is being overly protective. I had to right click my main FSX folder, select properties, then security and turn on full access to my admin user. That fixed the problem I had saving aircraft.cfg files when adding new textures. It took it a while to propagate thru the structure. Then do the same to c:\programdata\microsoft\fsx. That fixed the index file problem after I installed Felts. -Glenn - Other thing, my enter key isn't working here so I can't make paragraphs. I see the same thing in one other forum. -Glenn