PDA

View Full Version : Does FSX support...2,560x1,440 pixels?

ColoKent
December 16th, 2012, 14:14
I'm thinking of buying a HD monitor for sharing between my MBP and my PC (which is pretty much dedicated to flight sim). Question is, will FSX get any benefit from this higher resolution-- I'm suspecting it's the GPU card that will or will not support this resolution.

Thoughts?

Kent

Dangerousdave26
December 16th, 2012, 14:23
On the computer level the monitor native resolution should always match the best resolution of the video card.

If you run within that environment FSX should not have an issue.

Even if you go outside of that match which sometimes is necessary, FSX will still probably function without issue.

ColoKent
December 16th, 2012, 15:29
Thanks for the info on that...

Regards,

Kent

AndyE1976
December 16th, 2012, 16:22
I run 2560x1600 and it's fine, make sure you are running the hd textures for any add ins you have though.

Meshman
December 17th, 2012, 08:28
I've been doing some browsing at Newegg... Realize that going to one of the uber-res monitors will mean you're pushing close to 80% or more pixels vs. a 19x10 monitor. That's going to take a good GPU and having a strong CPU to match. If I get brave and go ahead and build a new system next year, the GPU will be with 4gb of VRAM and the CPU? Still waiting to see what Intel's next gen will be like.

DennyA
December 17th, 2012, 08:59
What's your video card? I was running at GTX 580 and now a pair of 660Ti cards (but SLI mode is disabled for FSX which stutters with it on), and 2560x1440 is silky smooth (except around Seattle of course, where technology will never exist to surpass 20 fps...).

What you need for it to work technically is a video card (and cable) that supports dual-link DVI. (See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface)to see how to ID your cable.) But whether your PC/video card can push the pixels fast enough is another matter. My PC runs FSX, Rise of Flight, etc. fine at 2560x1440, but it's a very high-end rig.

kilo delta
December 17th, 2012, 09:56
I've been running FSX without issue for ~5 years at 2560x1600 on a Dell 30" monitor using a single Nvidia 285GTX.

With the resolution that you are planning to upgrade to I'd suggest looking at the bargain priced 27"Yamakasi Catleap monitors on ebay...I've heard some great reports on the image quality (though the oem stands are dire).