PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start.....

Cees Donker
December 16th, 2012, 09:22
I'm busy with a plane's FM, but the engine won't start. It turnes around, but it stops as if it gets no fuel. What can be wrong?

:kilroy:

Cees

stansdds
December 17th, 2012, 02:00
What aircraft?

It could be the normalized starter torque value in the aircraft.cfg file. Engines must achieve 500 rpm in order for them to start.

Some aircraft have custom gauges that require certain steps be followed, miss a step and they won't start.

Milton Shupe
December 17th, 2012, 06:32
stansdds has it correct, and if you do cntrl+shift+F4, then cntrl+F4, then cntrl+enter, it should start.

If not, check fuel, check min. throttle setting in cfg. Add a bit to it to see if it helps, reduce back to zero if not.
min_throttle_limit = 0.01 (= 1% throttle)

Are you at a higher altitude than 3000 feet?

What is your critical altitude set at? Should be at least 3000 feet if normally aspirated gas engine, higher for supercharged.

If turbo prop, ignore all that. :-)

Do you require fuel boost pumps?

Is fuel pressure positive?

Do you have a fuel flow gauge?

If you start in another aircraft with engines running, then switch do the engines continue to run? Is it a start issue or also a running issue?

If you cannot resolve, post or send your aircraft cfg.

Load a fresh flight so batteries are charged. Try again.

Cees Donker
December 17th, 2012, 11:43
'If you start in another aircraft with engines running, then switch do the engines continue to run?' Yes they do! It must be a start problem. I'll take another look tomorrow. Time for bed now....:sleep::sleep:

Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Cees

fliger747
December 20th, 2012, 19:22
Cees:Does it start and continue to run if you crack the throttle? As noted cfgbadjustment of the starter torque might help, Of more complication is the air file adjustment at low Rpm for internal friction. Keep ,up the good workT

Cees Donker
December 23rd, 2012, 21:15
Yes, it works!

Cees

sparks
December 28th, 2012, 15:14
Another thing to check is min_design_mp in the aircraft.cfg file. Should probably be set to about 5.0

Section 508 controls power efficiency and 509 controls engine friction, and they have to balance each other.

Less obvious and much harder to explain is that section 512 (prop power coefficient) can also be a factor, not only in whether an engine idles but at what RPM.

fliger747
December 28th, 2012, 18:31
Jerry:

Great to see you!

Not sure why but FS seems to have a warmup function in that some aircraft need a crack of throttle to start and initially run, but when run for a very short time will settle into a zero throttle idle just fine.

Cheers: tom

Blood_Hawk23
January 6th, 2013, 19:29
I've had this issue when working on CFG files. did you do anything to the prop values?

if you changed from or to constant speed propeller and didn't set the correct values that could do it (hand editing that is).

I've been working on WWI aircraft and have found alot of prop mistakes. well while correcting them (a Sopwith Snipe never had a 3 blade, constant speed prop) I had the no start issue. I found that i Fixed part of the issue but forgot to set it to the right propeller type. oops!

just something to look at.