PDA

View Full Version : Microstutters while only on or near ground

Landman
December 13th, 2012, 05:39
I have a new computer with Windows 8 and after several weeks of tweaking and fighting with the thing I finally got it to run FSX smoothly with good frame rates except in one place - on the ground or while within 2,000 feet or so of the ground. I get fluctuating frame rates and stutters while taxiing on the ground and during the last minute or so of final approach and within the first minute or so after takeoff. It does not matter whether I taxi in a straight line or if I am turning. I get stutters regardless. I only need to be in motion for them to happen. I have tried locking the frame rates as low as 24 but to no avail. I tried what I read on another board about setting the frame rates to unlimited and using an external frame rate limiter to limit the frames to half the monitor refresh rate but that did not work either. When not on the the ground or in close proximity to it I get good frame rates as high as 75 frames/sec. with almost all sliders maxed out, even in dense scenery areas. I only have the problem on the ground or when close to it. Any ideas on a solution?

falcon409
December 13th, 2012, 06:18
You might give this a try:
http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644

Disclaimer:This may not work for everyone. . .or anyone. Typical of just about every tweak for FSX (with a few exceptions), this one may work for you and may not, since no two setups are exactly the same, results are not guaranteed. I tried it on my Dual-Core system and there was no change. Stutters are a way of life in FSX, not to say "everyone" has them, but they are far more prevalent in FSX than I remember them being in FS9. Usually, tweaks are a "try this and see if it works for you" proposition. Some see instant results, some see no change and in some rare cases some get a CTD and have to revert to the original setup. Everyone tweaks their system, some more than others, but if you change one number, add one word, or one line to anything in FSX, you've "tweaked" and your setup is no longer "factory default" and could nullify a tweak that might have otherwise worked. It's a never ending battle for some.

Landman
December 13th, 2012, 15:40
I did the registry edit that you linked to above but it did not help FSX. I left the change in place though because I like the idea of all cores being active all the time instead of some sleeping until needed.

I also played around with different setting in FSX.cfg and I found the solution. Texture bandwidth mult was set to 80 by default and I reduced it to 60 and restarted FSX. Bingo! No more stutters while on the ground.