View Full Version : Termite Heaven

OleBoy
December 12th, 2012, 14:23
http://sdrv.ms/SDfAh0

Dimus
December 12th, 2012, 14:32
Nice!

Now try getting that into FSX!:icon_lol:

Let me know if you run into any trouble trying.

OleBoy
December 12th, 2012, 14:42
Nice!

Now try getting that into FSX!:icon_lol:

Let me know if you run into any trouble trying.

I knew that subject would arise. I am having an issue with getting textures to display correctly after export from GSU.
The logs on one end of the wall look as intended. On the same wall at the opposite end, the logs and texture is flipped for some reason.
The same template is used for the whole wall. Which leaves me scratching my head.

Flipped vertice?

The model displays fine in MCX, all but these walls in the same areas. I'm really stumped as I've been racking my brain for days.
http://imageshack.us/a/img202/2813/mcxi.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img22/4967/mcx1.jpg

warchild
December 12th, 2012, 15:28
Flipped normals perhaps????

OleBoy
December 12th, 2012, 16:05
All normals seem fine. Least in GSU and MCX they are.
Here's a template scenario.

Say I have the side of the building laid out L-to-R on a template. On one end I have filler bits that are an extension for that wall. Those bits are on the right side on the template, of which I used for both L & R ends.

*thinking*
If I use the the bits from the right side of the template, for the left side of the wall, could they get read incorrectly in terms of mapping? Hmmm.

OleBoy
December 13th, 2012, 19:53
Problem solved.

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/4610/mcx1fixed.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img526/2155/mcxfixed.jpg

Dimus
December 14th, 2012, 04:26
So what was it?

OleBoy
December 14th, 2012, 08:22
It has to do with the way the wall area is attached. I did not extrude, but had drawn it instead.
There are still a few areas on the front I am trying to correct.

OleBoy
December 15th, 2012, 07:51
I managed to get things sorted finally, and handed off to Dimus for tests and critiques.
I'm hoping for positive results. :jump:

Milton Shupe
December 15th, 2012, 07:55
Beautiful work Oleboy. Happy that you got it sorted out. :applause:

OleBoy
December 15th, 2012, 09:10
I hope for positive results so I can move on to other bits & pieces.
Firewood? :icon_lol:

OleBoy
December 15th, 2012, 17:40
I think I'll build a boat house and a dock for outings at the nearby lake.

Out at the property entrance.

An out building for the garden tractor, a dry place for firewood or what have you.

I'm also modeling a Jeep for exploring the terrain and hunting trips. Static of course. :icon_lol:

Dimus
December 16th, 2012, 02:30
Nice setup you will have there. Where do you intend to place that?

I have made this 4wheeler for rdaniell some time ago which you may like to use. It is here in the library: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=4&id=5560

rdaniell
December 16th, 2012, 03:06
Nice setup you will have there. Where do you intend to place that? I have made this 4wheeler for rdaniell some time ago which you may like to use. It is here in the library: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=4&id=5560

I have those placed in several of my scenery mods. They are not quite as shiny anymore due to being rode hard and put up wet....

OleBoy all that is looking really good.

Well, Dimus, it sure looks like OleBoy is addicted...:isadizzy:

RD

OleBoy
December 16th, 2012, 07:35
I remember when you first got started making scenery objects, Dimus. It was inspiring to me.
At that time I had been wanting to do the same for quite some time myself.

You ask where I'm going to put it? Heck, I don't know.
I plan on building several more. What they will be, even I don't know yet.

I've got a boat dock in progress that I remember well growing up. Built up on logs tied together as the floating platform.
It has a 14' tall high-diving platform, a separate spring board, a large bench for sitting, 4 ladders, and a step-down level
Two level, held in place via poles driven in the lake bed. And a long suspended walk-way over the water before reaching the dock.

The quads are a nice addition for an object. I have a few myself that I can take pictures of for good realism. Were the ones you made fairly easy to do?

Back in the FS9 days it seemed people were making objects and packages all the time. Now days, for FSX, there's just nothing out there.
Generic bits and pieces of mish mashed items is all I've ever found. Usually not to my likings. So best to make my own.

Stands up from his chair. "Hi, my name is OleBoy." I'm a scenery object addict :icon_lol:

rdaniell
December 16th, 2012, 09:30
....Stands up from his chair. "Hi, my name is OleBoy." I'm a scenery object addict :icon_lol:

Hi OleBoy. My name is RDaniell and I'm a scenery object addict also. Welcome to the group.

RD

OleBoy
December 16th, 2012, 11:23
A pleasure to meet a fellow groupee. Might we combine efforts sometime over an object or two. :icon_lol:

A green house.

rdaniell
December 16th, 2012, 11:49
That might be fun....Here's a horse barn and dock.

RD

OleBoy
December 16th, 2012, 12:01
Nice RD!

Was it hard to do the boat? I'm in process, well, was in process of modeling one last night.
The shape of the hull is a bugger to form due to all the curvyness.

rdaniell
December 16th, 2012, 12:15
Nice RD! Was it hard to do the boat? I'm in process, well, was in process of modeling one last night.
The shape of the hull is a bugger to form due to all the curvyness.

I didn't model the boat. It is one of the included objects in the components section of SketchUp.

BTW...I sent you a couple e-mails. The first one has the wrong object in it. I hope the second has the correct one. Just let me know.

RD

OleBoy
December 16th, 2012, 12:18
I see.
Email response sent.

OleBoy
December 16th, 2012, 16:53
For hunting & fishing a smokehouse is a must have.

skyhawka4m
December 16th, 2012, 19:14
I have always wanted to have my own small airport......wish I had your talents guys.

rdaniell
December 16th, 2012, 23:18
OleBoy, here's a little 10 foot Jon Boat for paddling around on the water at your retreat.

RD

OleBoy
December 17th, 2012, 10:38
OleBoy, here's a little 10 foot Jon Boat for paddling around on the water at your retreat.

RD

Paddling? RD, Stirring my cocktail maybe! :icon_lol:

A few fence components for around the barn, garden and pastures.

rdaniell
December 17th, 2012, 12:55
Paddling? RD, Stirring my cocktail maybe! :icon_lol:

OleBoy I don't need anything to stir my single malt....:icon_lol: so just consider the paddle an early Christmas present.:santahat:

RD

OleBoy
December 17th, 2012, 16:18
The barn. Textures are..

rdaniell
December 17th, 2012, 19:33
....OleBoy, I thought you might not have time to build one of these with all your other projects, so I built it for you. :icon_lol:

RD

OleBoy
December 17th, 2012, 19:53
Excellent! You read my mind, RD. I was thinking of a dooly down by the barn and the lake.
Did you stock it? :icon_lol:

Your paddle is now slightly used by the way.

I created a weather vane for the barn.

rdaniell
December 17th, 2012, 21:02
Excellent! You read my mind, RD. I was thinking of a dooly down by the barn and the lake.
Did you stock it? :icon_lol:

Your paddle is now slightly used by the way.

I created a weather vane for the barn.

OleBoy, it is truly amazing what you did to the paddle. I'm afraid, however, it won't be of much use as a method of propulsion anymore....:pop4:

RD

OleBoy
December 18th, 2012, 08:00
Not in the dooly, but to stir my cocktail.

I took the time to see if I could create a real nice weather vane. Mainly as a test to see if I could create it as if it were real.
It turned out nicely.
1523 edges
76 faces

Dimus
December 18th, 2012, 08:38
You could simplify this immensely by using simple rectangular surfaces and the figures painted on the texture with an alpha channel. The same can be done on your fences to reduce their complexity.

Just shout if you want to see how to do this.

OleBoy
December 18th, 2012, 11:54
The one on the barn above is minimum poly. The last image I was merely messing about in attempt to see how detailed I could manage to get it.
Sort of a learning process for another way of doing it with the poly rope.

I thought about using an image with an alpha for transparency too.
Just having fun learning things is all :mixedsmi:

rdaniell
December 18th, 2012, 13:55
I did something similar as OleBoy when I first started trying to learn SketchUp. I'd get an idea and then see if I could "build" it in SketchUp. I've got a lot of "failed" projects.....LOL...:icon_lol:

I now have the task of trying to clear out my scenery project folder by deleting:pop4: all the stuff I don't ever plan to use. Plus I had a lot of variations of the same object as I got closer to how I wanted it to look in FSX.

BTW....OleBoy the next SketchUp Anonymous meeting is scheduled for your place. Remember that I prefer single malt.:guinness:

RD

OleBoy
December 18th, 2012, 14:34
Actually, everything I've made has been very optimized. As good as it can be anyway.
I'll admit I do have some complex objects, but, building them, and testing them in sim will tell me the real story.
If things are too complex and hit on the frame rates, that's when I'll step back and look the objects more intensely to see if I can optimize them further.
My main approach is eliminating draw calls. So far, I've created a lot of nice texture sets that let me limit them to minimums without giving up a realistic appearance.

Oh, RD, the malts are on me. Just don't forget your bag of Sketch-Up goodies when you leave the house :icon_lol:

Here's a boat dock. Textures are not set as it will take time to create something more realistic for a planked appearance the way I'm wanting.

rdaniell
December 18th, 2012, 14:58
OleBoy, I went through my static objects texture folder in search of textures. There are quite a lot of them in there that work just fine with SketchUp.
I also google for images of whatever I'm looking for. Found a lot of usable material textures that way.

BTW,,,,,that's a good looking dock project. The diving board is a nice touch.

RD

OleBoy
December 18th, 2012, 15:35
I'll get there with the textures. The thing is I can't find my pictures.

The dock is a re-creation of the one I learned to swim from when I was a boy. I remember it well.
My mother taught me to swim (or sink) off that very dock. When I was a little boy my mother tied a bed sheet that was cut up in strips to form a rope, through my belt loops. Then she gave me the option to jump in. I cried and cried. I was scared. There was a rule to be on the dock only if you could swim. No argument. I broke the rule so she decided it was time to teach me to swim. I did not get in the water of my own free will. She threw me in. I cried and cried. Before I knew it, I learned to swim.
The high-dive was 14'. The diving board was broken in half more times than I remember by my cousins. They jumped off the high-dive onto the diving board and snapped it into splinters. It was built from clear fir 2x4's laminated (16 (stacked) wide) and 12 feet long. We had many, many outings there skiing, tubing, swimming.
I grew up at the lake and spent most of lifetime enjoying the peace and serenity.

This is where a good part of my project derives from. Good times past.

roger-wilco-66
December 18th, 2012, 22:30
Actually, everything I've made has been very optimized. As good as it can be anyway.
I'll admit I do have some complex objects, but, building them, and testing them in sim will tell me the real story.
If things are too complex and hit on the frame rates, that's when I'll step back and look the objects more intensely to see if I can optimize them further.
My main approach is eliminating draw calls. So far, I've created a lot of nice texture sets that let me limit them to minimums without giving up a realistic appearance.

Oh, RD, the malts are on me. Just don't forget your bag of Sketch-Up goodies when you leave the house :icon_lol:

Here's a boat dock. Textures are not set as it will take time to create something more realistic for a planked appearance the way I'm wanting.

On performance and optimizing.
These objects I see here could all be done using a single drawcall, if you use just one big texture map and one material. Just as an example, have a look at the ww2 Cat crawler pulling the road scraper below. I made that last week. It has a quite complex structure and an unwrapped uwv texture mapping, but uses only one drawcall, one material, one big texture map and around 13k (texture) vertices. That sounds like a bit much but as long as you can batch everything together in one material / drawcall, you won't get a noticeable framerate hit.
Is there a vertex welding (make one vertex out of X) or optimizing (eliminate redundant polys, make 1 poly out of X in the same geometry) function in Sketchup? Expecially the latter can greatly reduce the vertex count on an object without making sacrifices of the geometry or appearance.

Nice work guys! This can be addictive, huh (don't ask my wife...)?

Cheers,
Mark

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/F1yaLrl0Ae/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/1-ondonga-letourneau-caryall-scraper.jpg

rdaniell
December 19th, 2012, 16:33
.....of course you would need a float equipped airplane to include flying activities.:icon_lol:

RD

OleBoy
December 21st, 2012, 10:07
Just bought myself a new ride.
I don't want to get it dirty.:icon_lol: