PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get PlanG to even start

P38man
December 11th, 2012, 16:51
I have tried multiple install and uninstalls in different locations (under root, under program files) with different versions, shut-downs and restarts, have MS framework 4.0, running both installer and program as admin with UAC off.

Upon starting a little start-up screen comes up and then it says it has stopped working and closes. Nothing in the .log file other than it is starting, no error messages at all.

Never gets beyond the start-up screen.

Anyone have an idea why?

WhiskeyEcho
December 12th, 2012, 00:12
You must be connected to the internet.

Naismith
December 12th, 2012, 00:31
Not being funny but wouldn't the best place to start be the source forum which is quite active and friendly.

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php

P38man
December 12th, 2012, 03:33
about being connected to the internet - yes I am.

about going to the official software forum - it seems some others have the same issue with no resolution so thought I would ask here.

Dangerousdave26
December 12th, 2012, 07:39
Plan G uses Internet Explorer as its core. Make sure internet explorer is running correctly. Delete all cookies and temporary files in Internet Explorer. Make sure no fire wall rules are blocking internet explorer from reaching the internet. Go into your internet options under the connections tab press the LAN Settings button. Make sure you are not using a proxy unless you need to. The normal setting is to automatically detect settings. If you are using a proxy take note of the address and the port and any advanced settings. Check your security settings internet will normally be set to medium-high. Any higher and that might be the problem.

For reference what version of IE is installed on your PC?

Last thing to try before doing a complete uninstall.

Create a new user on your PC and log in as that user. Try to run plan-g. If the program runs without a problem then the issue is something specific to your user. It could still be an IE setting that got changed.

If you feel the need you may need to uninstall again this time...

When you uninstall a program it is often times necessary to manually remove the left over remnants. If you don't those left over files and registry entries might be the problem that never actually gets removed.

At this point you might just as well get a clean start.

Uninstall plan-g

Delete the install folder that houses Plan-G if it was not removed with the install.

It doesn't look like Plan-G writes any data to the appdata folder (application data on XP) but it has numerous registry entries that might be the problem.

Keys of note

HKEY_Current_User/software/TAS/Plan-G
HKEY_Users/{cryptic user name}/software/TAS/Plan-G

Both of these keys have the program configuration. I would delete the TAS keys

In the registry search for Plan-G and you should find the rest of the keys and strings.

In some cases you will want to remove the key in others you will want to remove only the string in the key referencing Plan-G.

****Disclaimer

Be warned editing the registry manually is one of the best ways possible to irreversibly PORK your PC. If you delete the wrong key it may never start again. Make sure you have everything of value backed up. If possible you should have a image of your drive that you can restore.

Daveroo
December 12th, 2012, 08:16
if you want to be safe..there are registry tools that work fairly well....you tell it what program you are deleting off your HD and the program looks at your registry and only deletes those registry files that involve that program

P38man
December 12th, 2012, 14:46
Thanks Dangerousdave26 will give it a go!

Ah yes Daveroo - I think I will make a restore point first.

I have some hope after all, really want to get this working.

P38man
December 13th, 2012, 10:03
Well its working!

Downloaded and installed ms netframework 4.5 and then it worked.

Thanks all!