PDA

View Full Version : Please Remove the Milviz F-86F Black Knight

stovall
December 10th, 2012, 08:05
Recently I received a request from Trucker17 to do a paint for a black Milviz F-86F. He sent some images of what a Secion8 F-86 looked like. I told him the work would be very difficult as all the images would have to be redone and all the stencils changed color. The skull along took me very a week to create. Finally after a month I was finished and without thinking where the images came from posted the Milviz F-86F Black Knight.

It turns out the original Section 8 F-86 paint belongs to GarryJSmith. I have been accused of plagerism and violation of the rules of reproduction. This was definitely not my intent. I was only trying to make someone happy by doing a requested paint. Because I did everything from scratch I didn't research where the pictures came from which was a mistake. Please believe the project is not a clone of Garry's work.

Because it has caused such a problem for Garry, I am requesting that anyone who has downloaded the paint please remove it out of courtesy for someone who did not do enough research and made a mistake. My intentions were definitely not to step on anyone's toes. Life is to short to cause such problems. Please forgive me.

olderndirt
December 10th, 2012, 08:19
Sounds like more than enough "mea culpa" to me.

MCDesigns
December 10th, 2012, 08:21
If you did it all from scratch Tom, then I don't see an issue. Is this based off a real world scheme or an original Garry design? Plagiarism and violation of the rules of reproduction is indeed a bit strong if no actual parts of the original texture were used.

jeansy
December 10th, 2012, 08:25
WTF? what have people come to? no wonder people are fed up with the flight sim community

dont pull it down,, leave where it is.

god this petty crap annoys me !

n4gix
December 10th, 2012, 08:53
If you did it all from scratch Tom, then I don't see an issue. Is this based off a real world scheme or an original Garry design? Plagiarism and violation of the rules of reproduction is indeed a bit strong if no actual parts of the original texture were used.
This specific livery scheme is imaginary and not based on any real life scheme. That is unfortunate and is the proximate cause of the issue. It's a real shame, 'cause I really like it! :cost1:

stovall
December 10th, 2012, 08:56

Appreciate the input guys, Michael, to be honest I have never seen the original textures. All my work came from some jpg pics. The important thing here is Garry feels I stepped on his toes and that is all that matters. It is important to me that everyone know I meant no harm and would never copy anyone's work.

Gunnar has recently done another version of the Golden Apple Organization Milviz F-86A. I was just messing around with this same texture hoping to spur him on to complete his. As a result he sent me a PM with some suggestions, fonts and help to make mine paint better. I certainly hope we get his version uploaded as well. I am standing in line for that one.

My reason for responding the way I have is to not let this sort of thing get out of hand. Most of us are in this hobby for fun and I sure want to see it stay that way. Hopefully Garry will understand I meant no harm.

OleBoy
December 10th, 2012, 09:10
Crap. I wanted that scheme. And to think I use to give away my paint schemes. :sleep:

Daveroo
December 10th, 2012, 09:13
Stovall,i completly understand your feelings on this,Gerry feels his work was "messed with" and i think you are doing the right thing by putting up the olive branch and making an effort to make it right.if he is a man of integrity ,as are you,he should see this as a extention of your belief in the community of FS,and that people should respect one anothers work and efforts.i feel he will understand and forgive you if he is informed of your efforts to come clean..

PRB
December 10th, 2012, 09:18
Wait a second. Let me get this straight. If somebody made a paint for the FS9 Section 8 F-86, then nobody is supposed to make a similar painnt for the MILVIZ FSX F-86, or we're "stepping on the toes" of the person who made the original Section 8 paint? I "raising the BS flag" on that one. I made a "Putt Putt Maru" paint for dcc's P-38L for FS9. When the SU P-38L came out for FSX, it came with a Putt Putt Maru paint. I don't cosider my toes to have been stepped on at all. Tom, I userstand you not wanting to upset Gary, but this is ridiculous. You didn't do anything wrong.

- Paul

YoYo
December 10th, 2012, 09:40
Recently I received a request from Trucker17 to do a paint for a black Milviz F-86F. He sent some images of what a Secion8 F-86 looked like. I told him the work would be very difficult as all the images would have to be redone and all the stencils changed color. The skull along took me very a week to create. Finally after a month I was finished and without thinking where the images came from posted the Milviz F-86F Black Knight.

It turns out the original Section 8 F-86 paint belongs to GarryJSmith. I have been accused of plagerism and violation of the rules of reproduction. This was definitely not my intent. I was only trying to make someone happy by doing a requested paint. Because I did everything from scratch I didn't research where the pictures came from which was a mistake. Please believe the project is not a clone of Garry's work.

Because it has caused such a problem for Garry, I am requesting that anyone who has downloaded the paint please remove it out of courtesy for someone who did not do enough research and made a mistake. My intentions were definitely not to step on anyone's toes. Life is to short to cause such problems. Please forgive me.

You talk about this threat: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?73972-Milviz-F-86F-The-Black-Knight-zip ?

Oh mam :blind: ...

O little I underesand if Garry did own, completely fictitious repaint (Im right, yes?) and now see for FSX version. He has w right in this time for this, but in total... sad and a little incomprehension situation.
:icon29: for both and take easy. :wavey:

OleBoy
December 10th, 2012, 09:44
At first reading I was actually ticked off at the BS also. I bit my tongue in my previous response, but I'm not going to now. Repaints, real or otherwise can be freely reproduced by those willing in my opinion.
If the repaint was/is included in a payware package, that's different.

I say paint whatever you choose to your hearts content.

snow_white
December 10th, 2012, 09:52
Wait a second. Let me get this straight. If somebody made a paint for the FS9 Section 8 F-86, then nobody is supposed to make a similar painnt for the MILVIZ FSX F-86, or we're "stepping on the toes" of the person who made the original Section 8 paint? I "raising the BS flag" on that one. I made a "Putt Putt Maru" paint for dcc's P-38L for FS9. When the SU P-38L came out for FSX, it came with a Putt Putt Maru paint. I don't cosider my toes to have been stepped on at all. Tom, I userstand you not wanting to upset Gary, but this is ridiculous. You didn't do anything wrong.

- Paul

well said.. I have a few words that is comming to mind, but I think I need to get back into my corner, because I just know what I am about to say will get me banned..

What has this world come to.. little ego's..!! now I know why they call this time of the year "Silly season"

:jawdrop:

Roger
December 10th, 2012, 10:03
It's such a shame when this sort of misunderstanding happens in a forum of friends like ours. Tom was asked to create a repaint from pictures given by Trucker17 which he painstakingly did from the goodness of his heart little knowing that this was a picture of of Garry Smith's paint scheme for a different Fs9 model.
I can see where in the first instant Garry would feel that his work had been plagerised seeing Tom's repaint for the first time in our library. I think we've all known Tom and Garry for a long time now and know that neither of them would blatantly copy another's work.
So let's hope that Garry will allow Tom's repaint to stand (with credit to him for the original scheme) and allow that sometimes genuine mistakes can be made with all good intention.

Best,

Roger.

Tom to prevent any more mud sticking while we all cool off I've locked the thread. If you feel you want to unlock it later then feel free...it's your forum and you do a great job!:ernae: