PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1.4 update

Navy Chief
December 8th, 2012, 13:08
I own the Academic version. Does the 1.4 update apply to this version too? In other words, can I download/install for free? Thanks. NC

OleBoy
December 8th, 2012, 15:16
Yes. Log in to your LM account. The links should be there.
Future updates, to my understanding (up to v2.0) are freely downloaded by all who purchased their product.

falcon409
December 15th, 2012, 19:33
Shoot, at first glance I thought this was a recent upgrade. . . .I got all excited, but then I noticed it's the one I already have. I guess the next will be 2.0?

Phantom88
December 16th, 2012, 01:57
If I understand correctly,Version 2.0 will be more than just a update,but a complete overhaul of the program and require a new purchase of an Academic License.

Daveroo
December 16th, 2012, 08:39
wow...is that correct?....any ideas of when 2.0 will come out?....i was going to get the achedemic lic in feb...but if i have to pay again for 2.0,,,ill have to wait i guess....and then i wonder....will things like trackIR and other things NOT work again?

Dangerous Beans
December 16th, 2012, 09:08
I think V2.0 is some way off Daveroo ,the question is how long can you wait ?
1.4 might not even be the last update to V1

Clutch Cargo
December 16th, 2012, 09:32
It could be up to a year before v2.0 is released, given they said it would be released in 2013, but why wait? I already find 1.4 better than FSX. $49 is sooo worth it to reduce the headaches of FSX.

Daveroo
December 16th, 2012, 09:33
ok...im sold....feb it is

Phantom88
December 16th, 2012, 09:46
It could be up to a year before v2.0 is released, given they said it would be released in 2013, but why wait? I already find 1.4 better than FSX. $49 is sooo worth it to reduce the headaches of FSX.

I couldn't agree more,The stability of the sim alone is worth the $Price$:jump:

falcon409
December 17th, 2012, 04:14
Personally, I've never had any problems with FSX, but purchased P3D because it sounded like it was supposedly so much better. For me, it was like having a duplicate version of FSX except with the hassles of having to get everything setup all over again. I still had the blurries, I still had the stuttering, antialiasing was a problem, TrackIR didn't work (at that time), getting all the addons I'd spent years accumulating for FSX didn't all work. It wasn't worth messing with IMHO. I decided to wait for the next update and give it one more shot before I deleted it and stayed with FSX, but I was also told that V2.0 would be free to current owners, but that after that any subsequent updates would have to be purchased. If that's not true, then I'll stay with FSX as I don't see P3D worth another $49.

Phantom88
December 17th, 2012, 06:51
Well,One thing to consider is P3D is still being developed and supported where FSX is not.

falcon409
December 17th, 2012, 10:21
Well,One thing to consider is P3D is still being developed and supported where FSX is not.

Yep and I understand that, but if the next update is not free to current users or there isn't significant improvements over this current version, I'll be staying with FSX.

Lionheart
December 17th, 2012, 11:08
If FSX is running fine for you, stay with it. Thats the bottom line.

I could never run FSX on my rig. Running P3 opened up my world immensely. For others, they could run FSX fine. Its worth it for FSX people that are happy with FSX to just stay. It has more planes, it has a opening setup center every time you boot up the sim (select plane, area, weather, etc), before you start into a flight. P3D does not. But P3 will run on alot of computers where FSX will run only on a very few.

Another nice thing about P3 is that you have no updates to do, and it doesnt seem to fall apart like FSX. Usually FSX has to be reinstalled every 6 months for some reason, and the install can take days. I have only had to reinstall P3 once per a huge update. The required us to reload the entire package, which is fine. Rename its folder or copy it, load the new one, then transfer your planes and scenery over and you are done.

PS is not for everybody. FSX is not for everybody. P3 offers a new way for people that have issues with FSX. P3 also has some features that FSX does not have, some abilities that FSX cannot do, new technology shaders, better ground texture limits, etc.

So, bottom line. If FSX is running fine for you, stay. If FSX runs like scrappy..... Come over! Glad to take in new members! We have a cool new Mooney and T-6 Texan! :)

falcon409
December 17th, 2012, 18:09
Bill, can you definitively answer the question on whether or not V2.0 will be free to current users?

Lionheart
December 17th, 2012, 21:16
Bill, can you definitively answer the question on whether or not V2.0 will be free to current users?

I'll ask the team and see if I can find out. I can almost swear that I thought they said 2.0 was free to existing owners of P3, but I could be wrong. I'll double check.

Bill

Edit: just between us, I wouldnt mind paying again for it, though I pay on a payment system via the Developer route. We always had to pay for the latest version of FS; FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX. I dont see why we shouldnt have to pay for another version of this sim. I am sure the new 2.0 would be worth it. Thats my humble thoughts.

AussieMan
December 17th, 2012, 23:42
I have never been happier with a flight sim since the days of FS98 and 2000. Micro$oft kept pushing the envelope and my poor computers couldn't keep up. FSX just sat on my computer and I tried to fly it occasionally but now I have P3D a new world has opened up for me.

Even on my limited aged pension $50 would be nothing for me to pay for V2.

MudMarine
December 18th, 2012, 09:59
I don't get it.......people pay $40-$50 bucks for a fsx add-on no problem but somehow $50 for P3D V2 seems crazy? I (stupid me) paid $80 bucks for fsx when it first came out an an additional $30 (can't remember exact price) for accel. I can't wait for version 2 of P3D!! P3D has made me love flight simming all over again after fsx nearly destroyed my joy! JMO

luckydog
December 18th, 2012, 13:33
I got the professional version so I better be good for life.............

mikew
December 18th, 2012, 17:43
Prepa3D V2.0 will require new licences. It is similar to moving from FS2000 to FS9 to FSX. Each new major version required a new purchase which is typical of most software. Here's a quote directly from the LM P3D forums:

"Version 2 will require new licenses, but like was mentioned before, it is quite some time aways - so please enjoy 1.X now as we work to overhaul the rendering engine and add other features for version 2.0."

Software Manager - Prepar3DŽ Team

Mike

MudMarine
December 18th, 2012, 18:44
I'm sure it will be an improvement over v1.4; at least I hope it will be. I can't wait to try the new version!!

Lionheart
December 18th, 2012, 23:20
Prepa3D V2.0 will require new licences. It is similar to moving from FS2000 to FS9 to FSX. Each new major version required a new purchase which is typical of most software. Here's a quote directly from the LM P3D forums:

"Version 2 will require new licenses, but like was mentioned before, it is quite some time aways - so please enjoy 1.X now as we work to overhaul the rendering engine and add other features for version 2.0."

Software Manager - Prepar3DŽ Team

Mike

Thanks Mike for the heads up.

I did email the team but didnt hear back.

Bill

vgbaron
December 20th, 2012, 10:07
Additionally, they implied there will be at least one more 1.x version prior to 2.0.

Buy it now or later, it's still a good deal if you can afford it but 2.0 looks like late 2013 at best.

Vic

wombat666
December 21st, 2012, 00:53
I'm quite happy to buy a completely new version, even at the original price.
As mentioned, P3D is evolving and we should be really happy to keep it doing so.
Just as a matter of interest, I noticed FSX Gold at A$19.95 and FS2004 for S34.95, checked back a week later and FS2004 stock was well down while FSX was much as it was first time round.
I decided to buy one of each as backup copies, cheap insurance.
This was a major retail outlet in Aus, JB HiFi, not known for 'competitive' prices in the 'PC Games' market.
:kilroy:

Lionheart
December 21st, 2012, 14:10
I'm quite happy to buy a completely new version, even at the original price.
As mentioned, P3D is evolving and we should be really happy to keep it doing so.
Just as a matter of interest, I noticed FSX Gold at A$19.95 and FS2004 for S34.95, checked back a week later and FS2004 stock was well down while FSX was much as it was first time round.
I decided to buy one of each as backup copies, cheap insurance.
This was a major retail outlet in Aus, JB HiFi, not known for 'competitive' prices in the 'PC Games' market.
:kilroy:

That says 'one' thing. The sim that runs best is the one that sells best.