PDA

View Full Version : Total RAM not being recognized

Navy Chief
December 5th, 2012, 07:04
I am running Windows 7, Premium Edition, 64 bit. I have 16 GB of RAM installed, but only half of that is being recognized by the OS.

I checked through "My Computer", properties, and made sure the memory block was unchecked.

Not sure what else to check, other than remove the sticks of RAM, clean out the contact points, and reinstall.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

NC

Phantom88
December 5th, 2012, 09:52
I was told on The Avsim forum that 4GIgs of ram is all This games engine will recognize .

Navy Chief
December 5th, 2012, 11:16
I was told on The Avsim forum that 4GIgs of ram is all This games engine will recognize .

Not talking about FSX, but my OS itself!

NC

heavy
December 5th, 2012, 20:44
Hey there brother, I had the same thing happen to me. Try reseating your memory sticks if you haven't already. Shut your PC down, pull them, reseat then restart. I hope it helps.

ABHC NAF Misawa

Lionheart
December 5th, 2012, 21:45
And back to P3D and RAM, it 'is' a 32bit platform, so anything higher then 3 Gigs is not going to be used/seen in the sim, unfortunately.

Mind you, my thoughts are that if you have a multi core, one core will run the OS and another will run the sim, so I 'think' you will have RAM allocated 'maxed out' per each use of each core, so with 4 cores, if you are using 2, then 6 Gigs at least should work quite well.

Navy Chief
December 6th, 2012, 02:12
Hey there brother, I had the same thing happen to me. Try reseating your memory sticks if you haven't already. Shut your PC down, pull them, reseat then restart. I hope it helps.

ABHC NAF Misawa (Thanks shipmate (you too, Lionheart!). I plan on trying your suggestion today, and will report back! Pete

Dangerousdave26
December 6th, 2012, 05:29
When you boot up the PC go into the Bios and see how much ram is showing.

You should be able to see how much ram is in each bank.

Navy Chief
December 6th, 2012, 05:59
Memory Information

Slot 1
DDR3 (PC3-10700)

4096 MBytes
G.Skill

Slot 2
DDR3 (PC3-10700)
4096 MBytes
G.Skill

Slot 3
DDR3 (PC3-10700)
4096 MBytes
G.Skill

Slot 4
DDR3 (PC3-10700)
4096 MBytes
G.Skill

This is the DRAM I have installed:

16GB(4GB x 4)
Speed DDR3-1066 (PC3 8500)
Test Voltage 1.5 Volts
Height 40 mm / 1.58 inch
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
Type 240-pin DIMM
Warranty Lifetime

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=231&c1=&c2=

I went into the BIOS, but cannot see any section where it lists the DRAM. I see areas where I can tweak memory, etc..., but not an actual list of what is installed.....

NC

PRB
December 6th, 2012, 07:28
Pete, I had the same problem with Win7 64bit. I had 8 GB and Windows said 4. Removed memory cards and re-inserted and that fixed the problem. You might have to do it three or four times (like I did) before it will work, but eventually I got Windows to show the total 8 GB.

- Paul

stovall
December 6th, 2012, 07:41
Pete, just as Paul mentioned you may have to do the manual install several times. My issue which sounds almost the same is the speed was not being recognized. There was a setting in my BIOS that corrected that. I had to call the manufacturer to get the right setting. If all else fails call Skill support for some help. That should solve your problem. Good luck.

Navy Chief
December 6th, 2012, 07:52
Pete, just as Paul mentioned you may have to do the manual install several times. My issue which sounds almost the same is the speed was not being recognized. There was a setting in my BIOS that corrected that. I had to call the manufacturer to get the right setting. If all else fails call Skill support for some help. That should solve your problem. Good luck.

Thanks all! Will try resetting sticks again, then may call Skill about it....NC

This is the DRAM I have installed:

16GB(4GB x 4)
Speed DDR3-1066 (PC3 8500)
Test Voltage 1.5 Volts
Height 40 mm / 1.58 inch
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
Type 240-pin DIMM
Warranty Lifetime

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=231&c1=&c2=

Navy Chief
December 6th, 2012, 12:39
Update:

Since my DRAM has a lifetime warranty, I went ahead and emailed Tech Support at G.Skill.

Maybe get to the bottom of this. I know when the computer was built, all 16GB was recognized. I have also tried switching the sticks, thinking one or more was defective. No change. 8 GB found. Yet using SIW http://www.gtopala.com/ DOES see all four DRAM sticks installed....

NC

ZEUS67
December 6th, 2012, 15:23
Could be a motherboard issue. What are the motherboard/graphics card specs?

Navy Chief
December 6th, 2012, 15:49
Could be a motherboard issue. What are the motherboard/graphics card specs?

Motherboard

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model Rampage III Extreme
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number 106050310000204
North Bridge Intel X58 Revision 13
South Bridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) Revision 13

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 1366 LGA

System Slots 6 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 24576 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 6
Error Correction Multi-bit ECC

Graphics Card - Radeon HD5870
http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/ati-mobility-hd-5800/Pages/hd-5870-specs.aspx

ZEUS67
December 7th, 2012, 13:49
Another question. Do the mainboard memory test reads the full 16GBytes?
If so. Are you completely sure that you have Windows 7 64x installed in your computer?
Fast check if you have either FSX or P3D installed: see if there is a folder called Program Files (x86). If the folder does not exist, then you have Win7 32 and it won't recognize anything above 4 Gbytes.
Next check. Do you have any kind of RAM disk installed. RAM disks are virtual disks that make use of existing RAM. They work as a HDD only they are really fast since they exist in the computer's RAM. If not that, any other type of software that may be reserving that amount of memory like a mirroring program or the like.
As last resort, I would suggest a OS reinstall. If the OS is not detecting all the RAM and the mainboard is then the fault lays with the OS and not with the computer.

ZEUS67
December 7th, 2012, 13:55
If the mainboard bios does not detect the full 16Gbytes RAM you have to do the following:

1. Uninstall all DIMMs
2. Install only one, start the PC and check the RAM amount.
3. Turn off the PC
4. Install another one and restart the PC. Check the RAM amount.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all DIMMs are installed.

If one DIMM is not recognized, isolate it and use another one.

Also, the mainboard manual specifies that there are three memory BANKS A, B and C

Bank A is the one nearest the CPU while Bank C is the one nearest the edge.

Insert the DIMMs in the A - B - C order.

Navy Chief
December 7th, 2012, 15:09
If the mainboard bios does not detect the full 16Gbytes RAM you have to do the following:

1. Uninstall all DIMMs
2. Install only one, start the PC and check the RAM amount.
3. Turn off the PC
4. Install another one and restart the PC. Check the RAM amount.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all DIMMs are installed.

If one DIMM is not recognized, isolate it and use another one.

Also, the mainboard manual specifies that there are three memory BANKS A, B and C

Bank A is the one nearest the CPU while Bank C is the one nearest the edge.

Insert the DIMMs in the A - B - C order.

I was with ya until you said there's only three memory banks. But there are four sticks of 4 GB Ram....

Lionheart
December 7th, 2012, 19:24
Some mother boards can only handle so much RAM. Mine for instance on the new rig could only do 16. I wanted 32, but it couldnt do it.

You might have a hard limit in there blocking it. My apple is the same way. I think that could only hold 8 gigs on its structure.

Bill

ZEUS67
December 7th, 2012, 21:29
I was with ya until you said there's only three memory banks. But there are four sticks of 4 GB Ram....

Sorry, should have indicated that each memory bank has two DIMM sockets for a total of 6 DIMMs. But I assumed that you had the mainboard manual at hand.

Navy Chief
December 8th, 2012, 12:35
Thanks for the tip. I will check this out when I get home Sunday eve.....NC

Navy Chief
December 20th, 2012, 12:14
Update:

I emailed G.Skill about the problem. They replied, authorizing me to return all four sticks of RAM for new ones. Since my system won't even boot with all the RAM removed, I will ship them off probably next Monday. Hopefully by the first week of January I will be all back up and running.

NC

Navy Chief
January 3rd, 2013, 16:46
Update:

Received four new sticks of RAM from G.Skill. Installed, booted system, and ALL 16GB now being recognized!!

Yeehaw!

NC