PDA

View Full Version : We need this one....Sopwith Strutter

Cowboy1968
December 4th, 2012, 12:03
putting my World War One install back together, i was looking through all my aircraft from that era...

It is sad, that we are missing a good, or any, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. This was one of those machines that are an icon from World War One.

There was a project, don't remember who was doing it, to build one, but I guess that never got finished to my knowledge. So I was wondering if anyone has one or knows of one that we can use in our World War One installs....

stoney
December 4th, 2012, 13:42
Hey Cowboy. I agree with you on an updated Strutter being needed in CFS2. I do have a couple in my WWI CFS2 install. they're rather dated, but really not bad. I could zip them up and send it to you if you thought they might be of use. I believe the author of single seater was Felix Rodriguez and was a FS2000 model. I'm not sure about the two seater author, but seems to be of CFS1 quality. Anyway, they make good targets.

Cowboy1968
December 4th, 2012, 16:09
Yes I would love to have them, can you please zip..i am sending you a pm with my email address...

oldwheat
December 4th, 2012, 16:34
I would like them too. Perhaps they can be upgraded a tad for CFS2, especially the 2-seater.

Allen
December 4th, 2012, 16:55
I would say it is 50/50 chance that they could be imported into Gmax via use of Model Converter X....

stoney
December 5th, 2012, 12:43
Sure OW, I'd love to send them to you, just give me an addy and I'll send them to you. But. for the life of me I can not get the rudder colors in the single seater to show.
Some time ago AERO_DaddyO was making some aerodromes, would anyone know anything about them? I might have missed the post.

I would like them too. Perhaps they can be upgraded a tad for CFS2, especially the 2-seater.

Cowboy1968
December 5th, 2012, 14:54
The Knights of the Skies....as a group need to start a thread so we can share the machines we have...I find it great to know that I am not the only one that loves to climb into a Sopwith or a Fokker and cross into an era where this was all new...

I love flying these old wonderful machines....

stoney
December 5th, 2012, 16:43
I totally agree:salute:. My avatar is a screenie from my WWI install.

Blood_Hawk23
December 6th, 2012, 07:43
Agreed.
Its one that all of the Allies used. We could get some fresh paint on her rather fast too.

I have about 20 more aerodromes in the works. i'll have a second group of 7 ready soon. I have to redo the GSLs before I can release them. most of what i have can be found at SimV and TheFreeFlight site. all of the rest is at LWs.

A new Hanriot HD-1 would be nice.

till later,
John
aka Polar_Lion

stoney
December 6th, 2012, 13:46
New aerodromes would be VERY welcome addition. Oh heck yeah! Your St_Omer1 and Calais3 are great!

Cowboy1968
December 6th, 2012, 14:06
Agreed.
Its one that all of the Allies used. We could get some fresh paint on her rather fast too.

I have about 20 more aerodromes in the works. i'll have a second group of 7 ready soon. I have to redo the GSLs before I can release them. most of what i have can be found at SimV and TheFreeFlight site. all of the rest is at LWs.

A new Hanriot HD-1 would be nice.

till later,
John
aka Polar_Lion

looking forward to them.....

Blood_Hawk23
December 7th, 2012, 07:23
here is a list of my first release.

Calais Aerodrome
Manoncourt-en-Vermois
Bergues-Bierne
St. Omer Aerodrome
Aertrycke Aerodrome
Le Clos Ferme
Ceune Aerodrome
Montingen Aerodrome

The next set will be.

Autreville Aerodrome
Estrees-en-Chaussee
La Selve Aerodrome
Les Moeres
Pronville Aerodrome
Savy Aerodrome
Vivaise Aerodrome

the third set will be.

La Bonne Maison
La Noblette
Lhery Aerodrome
Bar-le-Duc
Leffincourt
Mars-la-Tour
Senard Aerodrome

i have a list for my forth set but half of them haven't even been started yet. In all i'll have 32 Aerodromes. my list keeps growing but for now thats my stopping point.

stoney
December 7th, 2012, 13:07
Thanks Blood_hawk23. I do have and fly from your first group.

Allen
December 10th, 2012, 09:32
Can I get on the mailing list for the Strutters? I have no idea how the DP for WWI aircraft should be done or the AIR as well... All I have to do is add the stick in the VC model and the wind screen than I'm going to start generating the LODs.

Blood_Hawk23
December 10th, 2012, 11:22
i think the DP from the Sopwith camel should be fine. just have to tweek the boxes to fit the airframe and do a few mods. Airfile and CFG will be the trick.

stoney
December 10th, 2012, 11:59
Sure Allen, send me your addy and I'll send 'em right out to you.

Cowboy1968
December 10th, 2012, 19:44
I am really glad to see all this interest in World War One...

This was trully a great era of flight.

Hey Stoney thanks for all the help...

I am trying to put together an archive of World War One files. I will be putting them up on a sky drive once i get backup CD's burned.

It anyone wants to donate files to the archive...let me know....

Cowboy

oldwheat
December 11th, 2012, 08:20
The DP & airfiles for the present 'strutters' are to say the least, dated. I would humbly suggest that we beseech Blood_Hawk23 to work the same magic that he has done with other WW1 aircraft on Allen's Strutter.

Whoops! In re-reading the posts, it would appear that John is already on the job at hand :jump:.

stoney
December 11th, 2012, 12:01
Thanks guys! I too am quite heartened to see some others are interested in WWI in CFS2.I hope it's a start of a movement.:salute:

Allen
December 11th, 2012, 14:52
The DP & airfiles for the present 'strutters' are to say the least, dated. I would humbly suggest that we beseech Blood_Hawk23 to work the same magic that he has done with other WW1 aircraft on Allen's Strutter.

Whoops! In re-reading the posts, it would appear that John is already on the job at hand :jump:.

I just got the 2 present 'strutters' and they are dated. I'm look for an aircraf with comparable flight dynamics to a "strutter". I've been told the L.V.G. C.II is close and now have one. As for the DP I'm still looking for something that is a "accepted standard" so I know what "hitpoints" I should give the parts.

Cowboy1968
December 11th, 2012, 15:15
[QUOTE=Allen;766894]I just got the 2 present 'strutters' and they are dated. I'm look for an aircraf with comparable flight dynamics to a "strutter". I've been told the L.V.G. C.II is close and now have one. As for the DP I'm still looking for something that is a "accepted standard" so I know what "hitpoints" I should give the parts.

Yes they are dated but it is fun to have here with us....I look forward to the updated files for the birds

Blood_Hawk23
December 11th, 2012, 17:00
as long as we have the correct wing geometry the rest shouldn't be to hard. After doing some reading it seems she had simular flight characteristics as a PUP. maybe a bit more stable and bigger of course. the question will be which engine would you want. The Clerget 9b with 130hp or the 110hp unit.
here are the Specs for the 130hp (from wiki sorry).

General characteristicsType: Nine-cylinder air-cooled rotary engine
Bore: 120 mm (4.72 in)
Stroke: 160 mm (6.30 in)
Displacement: 16.29 L (993.8 cu in)
Dry weight: 175 kg (385 lb)
ComponentsFuel system: Bloctube carburetor
Cooling system: Air-cooled
PerformancePower output: 130 hp (96 kW) at 1,250 rpm
Compression ratio: 4.56:1

i'll have to look for the ones i have for the 110hp. i think either the compression is different or the bore-stroke. i have it somewhere and will have to look.

again the DP from the camel should be a good starting point. this plane was leagues above the LVG so i wouldn't use that one. just my thought. we'll have to add the gunner/observer to the DP along with the lewis gun for the two seaters.

till later,
John

Allen
December 11th, 2012, 17:22
I have the data for the 130hp and have it working in CFS2. What Camel are you talking about? I already have made a DP from the Stock Zero. I re-did the boxes to fit the model and added the Vicker and lewis guns (I used the setting that DP EDIT has in the ARMS_WW1.dat)

I need to know how strong/weak the parts need to be. Right now the darn thing is strong as Zero and you can't shoot it donw if you and the AI have the same plane. You (the player) will round out of ammo.

Blood_Hawk23
December 11th, 2012, 18:04
I've mostly been working with the aerocrates aircraft. those seem to be the most consistant. the FS2000/2002 adaptation isn't a very good one. and many of the earlier cfs1 versions are just as bad.

oh on the Clerget 110hp (9A or 9Z) the data is as follow...

note:The 9Z Redesigned with aluminium pistons, tubular connecting rods and revised valve gear.

Horsepower:
110 (82 kw)

R.P.M.:
9A - 1,200
9Z - 1,300

Bore and Stroke:
9A - 4.7 in. (120 mm) x 5.9 in. (150 mm)
9Z -4.72 in (120 mm) x 6.30 in (160 mm)

Displacement:
9A - 931 cu. in. (15.3 liters)
9Z - 994 cid (16.2 liters)

Weight:
9A - 295 lbs. (134 kg)
9Z - 375lb (170kg)

Compression Ration:
9A - 4.3
9Z - 4.3?

Displacement per Cyl:
9A - 103.5 cid
9Z - 110.4 cid

i've guessed at the compression ratio for the 9Z. it would make sense since the 9B and 9Z have the same specs except the 9B has a compression of 4.56 which could give more horsepower. this is purely an educated guess from what i know about automobile engines. I haven't been able to find the exact numbers yet. but seeing how it had aluminum pistions, it only makes sense.

Allen
December 11th, 2012, 18:31
Alright I got the aerocrates CFS2 Sop Pub I'll use its DP for "hitpoints". Now maybe I can shoot the darn thing down...

Allen
December 11th, 2012, 22:32
Maybe you guys with a WWI install can tell me if I have things right or not. Drop it in and see how it is. Sound is aliased to A6M2 Zero so you may need to change it first..

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2012, 09:41
i haven't tried shooting her down yet but i did make a few tweeks to the files. i'll post them if you'd like. notes on the DPs:

For those with the aerocrates weapons...
[PAYLOAD.1]
; Payload = Bombs Light
mount.3=wep_rl_pylon, 1, -1
mount.2=wep_cop_25lb_gp, 1, 4
mount.5=wep_rl_pylon, 1, -1
mount.4=wep_cop_25lb_gp, 1, -1

[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=1
category=1
allegiance=3
max_group_size=8
min_speed=80
cruise_speed=128
max_speed=161
min_alt=25
cruise_alt=1980
max_alt=4730
entered_service=4/4/16
crew=1

enteries in red are in meters. not sure why but that seems to work best when using these planes in MB. also do you want it listed as a fighter or attack.

she is in dire need of a new skin. the prop detail is off as well.

having said all that she flies rather nice. i'll try shooting her down with my albatros DV and let you know how it goes.

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2012, 10:15
Ok the "hitpoints" seem to be good to go. she could probly use a little more in the fuse. sections but from what i've read these were abit fragile. so its up to you. i've gone against them atleast a dozen times now and all it takes is a few good bursts from an Alb-DV.

i do think the effects should be looked at. there is a little to much smoke and explosions for a WWI plane. thats just my thoughs.

I'm getting to work on the AI handeling. she rolls alot but is having trouble climbing. i'll work on the MOI values and let you know what i get.

I like her alot and think she'll be a fantastic addition. Awesome job Allen.

thats my take. can't wait to see what the rest think.

Cowboy1968
December 12th, 2012, 10:37
I think we just about have her. She seems to have the right speed, she flies stable, She has that good feel of a nice two seater

I did try to take her in combat, and she does a good job in defending herself, the ai seems to handle her well. that damn tail gun got me couple of times.

I was beat to making her ready for aerocrate weapons.

But I do believe we have her,

Now i hope we can update the single seat model as well

Thank you everyone for your great work....

Cowboy1968
December 12th, 2012, 10:49
Comment on the .dp. The guns on her are bit to acurate for firing over open iron sites, we need to adjust that....

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2012, 11:09
what was the adjustment for that again?
also did the bombs go on the wings or under the fuselage? i'll do some digging.

i think the heavy bomb load will be best for the single seater.

Cowboy1968
December 12th, 2012, 11:32

Actually i looked at the .dp with DPED you have that set right for the chance of hit

I guess i was just unlucky in my Albatros D.III

According to Windsock Datafile 34, the two seater was used as a light bomber, recon, and two seat fighter, while the Royal Navy Air Service listed the single seater as a bomber (Windsock datafile 80).

Bruce, J. M. (1992). Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Vol. Windsock Datafile #34). Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, Great Britian: Albatros Productions Ltd.

Bruce, J. M. (2000). Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Volume 2 (Vol. Windsock Datafile #80). Berkamsted, Hertfordshire, Great Britain: Albatros Productions Ltd.

oldwheat
December 12th, 2012, 12:11

Looks like under the fuselage. 77131

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2012, 12:40
Actually i looked at the .dp with DPED you have that set right for the chance of hit

I guess i was just unlucky in my Albatros D.III

According to Windsock Datafile 34, the two seater was used as a light bomber, recon, and two seat fighter, while the Royal Navy Air Service listed the single seater as a bomber (Windsock datafile 80).

Bruce, J. M. (1992). Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Vol. Windsock Datafile #34). Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, Great Britian: Albatros Productions Ltd.

Bruce, J. M. (2000). Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Volume 2 (Vol. Windsock Datafile #80). Berkamsted, Hertfordshire, Great Britain: Albatros Productions Ltd.

yeah i changed it to a different value and was shot down rather fast. so its good where its at. did that gun have any downward deflection?

i have bomb loads done with 2x25lb on wings, 4x25lb wings in dual pylons, 4x20lb in quad center pylon, and 6x20lb in 2 single and 1 qaud pylon. not sure of the exact loadouts but your right on the center Oldwheat. I found a pic of a russian strutter with the a quad rack.

stoney
December 12th, 2012, 12:56
According to my source (Datafile #80, page 18) the bombs were stowed vertically in an internal bomb bay where the observer cockpit had been.

Cowboy1968
December 12th, 2012, 13:02
yeah i changed it to a different value and was shot down rather fast. so its good where its at. did that gun have any downward deflection?

i have bomb loads done with 2x25lb on wings, 4x25lb wings in dual pylons, 4x20lb in quad center pylon, and 6x20lb in 2 single and 1 qaud pylon. not sure of the exact loadouts but your right on the center Oldwheat. I found a pic of a russian strutter with the a quad rack.

actually, I don't think i got from a downward deflection. I was coming up from under on the left wing of the Strutter....I was making a climbing attack and I believe he got me as i came up and across his right wing.

I have been looking though the photos in Windsock Datafile 80...and it seems the only photo evidence in that volume is with racks below the center...

But I am sure that they most have had rack to carry light ordinance under the wings.

stoney
December 12th, 2012, 13:44
Working for me. The observer is REALLY good though.

Cowboy1968
December 12th, 2012, 14:53
Working for me. The observer is REALLY good though.

yep, that guy has one hell of an eye...he got me cold when i was coming around from under even when i had made some good hits on the Strutter....

but again, a lot of the best aces were brought down one time or another by a stinger postilion....

And yes on page 17 of Datafile #80, there are drawings that show the virticle storage for the bombs and yes it appears that it is in the area that once was occupied by the observer....

stoney
December 12th, 2012, 15:29
Ask the Red Baron about the oberver in the FE2b.:santahat:

Allen
December 12th, 2012, 16:01
I try to cover every thing...

Not a lot I can do about the skin. Never so good a make my own from scrach. This why I have recycyled from the FS2000 Camel. What prop detail is off?

Fixed DP for exssive smoke/fire and explosions.

Is the rate of roll too high/slow or something else roll related?

Rate of climb is 1292 fpm at 56/57 MPH accorting to AirWrench. Try climing at 56 to 60 MPH and see if that helps.

Now the Front and Back guns are using setting found in aerocrate aircraft. This should help from getting chewed up by the observer.

Put the bombs under the fuselage.

I also gave the aircraft some marking. From what I know it was apart of the 43 Sqn, RFC and was captured by German in undamaged condition in May 1917 after a force landing. I also did a basic a check list.

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2012, 17:18
sorry Allen i should have clarified what i was talking about. the MOI (Roll, pitch, and yaw inertia values) i've droped them in the airfile. right now i have them at; Roll-734, pitch-925, and yaw-1100. i had the pitch set higher but the AI would go into a death dive. the only true test would be in a mission.

If you look at the prop texture before you start the engine it looks a little off. i think its just how it was made not a problem with the mdl like i first thought.

i've had a fight with one at Ace and here are the results:
I think the gunner fell out.

i'll take a look at the update and get back to you.

Cowboy1968
December 12th, 2012, 18:51
I conducted sort of a double test with another project i am working on....

here a Thomas-Morse S-4 fitted for combat just got the kill shot on the Strutter....but it cost me. My Scout got the hell beat out of it by that observer...

Allen
December 12th, 2012, 19:00
Blood_Hawk23
Did You update the MOI in the CFG as well? The oval look it has at the center?

Cowboy1968
I posted a new one that should observer less deadly.

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2012, 19:36
no the MOI in the CFG has remained the same. here is what i have so far.

i used your recent DP but made little tweeks:
made the sound for the rear gunner that of the 7.7mm vs the .303.
added the bombs as i had mentioned. feel free to move or change them as you wish.

The CFG has been made for the players handleing and the .air file is set for the AIs. might not be the final version but looks promising so far.

let me know what you think.

Allen
December 12th, 2012, 22:41
If you want to fine tune things be my guest. I'm taking shots in the dark with it. It would free me up to finished the LODs of the 2 seater and than start converting it into a 1 seater.

Blood_Hawk23
December 13th, 2012, 07:15
i dont mind doing any of it if you don't. mostly all i'm doing is adjusting the parts that effect the AIs flight performance. I'm realy just throwing my two cents in. I have been staring at all of this for the last three months. so now i look at the files and go "yup, that to there. make this like so." Thats just my thoughs and ideas. its up to you what you want to use.

I think she is coming along beautifully. I need to do a Belgian paint so i can add one to my campaign. let me know what you think.

oldwheat
December 13th, 2012, 07:25
I would be happy to do a Belgian paint when the time arrives.

Blood_Hawk23
December 13th, 2012, 07:59
that would be awesome.

I have a couple in mind. i'm having a hard time finding out what she looked like in color. i'll get some pics together and do some more digging. I'm think it will be one from the 6eme Escadrille. seeing how they were the first to get them in march of 1917. one of the ones i'd like to do would be "Flying Fox" S7. there is a pic of her here:

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/ww1_precurseurs/Sopwith%20Strutter/Sopwith%20Strutter%20S07.htm

although this one is kool too.

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/ww1_precurseurs/Sopwith%20Strutter/Sopwith%20Strutter%20S08.htm

I like the little bomb.

but like you said, when the time comes.

oldwheat
December 13th, 2012, 09:54
Is everyone aware of this site? = http://www.wwiaviation.com/toc.html

Blood_Hawk23
December 13th, 2012, 10:31
Yes I am. I have it in my WWI favorites. I have alot in that folder.

that would be from the 3eme Escadrille.

Allen
December 13th, 2012, 21:09
Today was a slow do but I did get all of the LODs done and if everyone in the choir is happy with the fine turing Blood_Hawk23 did I'll pack every thing up and get it ready for upload to the library.

stoney
December 14th, 2012, 13:51
Yep, I think Blood_Hawk23's v2.2 is just about as good as we're going to get out of the old gal at this point. Well done sir.

Blood_Hawk23
December 14th, 2012, 16:03
Hey Allen,

Outstanding work on this old girl, Allen. I eagerly await her release.

Question: what program was used to make the original model, gmax or fsds? or was it AF99?
i'm just curious.

there are a few other planes that would be nice to have updated but they are older models. the first ones that comes to my mind are the Hanriot HD-1 and Breguet XIV.

again, awesome work!!

Allen
December 14th, 2012, 17:00
I'm getting ready to upload it now.

The model is made in gMax FS2004 Gamepack and convered back to CFS2 via use of mk_mdlc.

oldwheat
December 14th, 2012, 20:08
While anxiously awaiting the upload jt might be a good time to request permission to do a few repaints. First in line would be a Belgian skin for Blood_Hawk23's campaign.

Allen
December 14th, 2012, 21:17
It has been uploaded and awating approval. Re-paints are fine. I include a basic paint template for my aircrafts. If you do the brown/green you posted it shouldn't be much work with the templates.

Also the 1 seat is done. I don't know what changes need to be done other then removal the back gunner from the DP and [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] part of the aircraft.cfg.

Blood_Hawk23
December 15th, 2012, 07:47
pass it along and i'll give it a once over. maybe move the bombs to internal. remove the second station in the CFG. ummm... i might reduce the MOI in the airfile but i'm not sure if it will be needed. aside from what you said Allen, thats all i can think of.

Allen
December 15th, 2012, 13:08
It is set up as a Type 9700 single-seat bomber. I have no idea how the internal bomb bay was done so I didn't model it with one....

From the info I have it can use up to 4 65lb bombs in the internal bomb bay and the Vic has 500 rounds but the fuel tank is only 26 gals. :icon_eek:

Blood_Hawk23
December 15th, 2012, 15:59
after flying the bomber version i did notice that there is no wheel animation when rolling on the ground. was there any before? i'll check the 2 seater and see if its the same. i thought that it had it before.

DP edit to add some internal bomb loads. sadly we dont have a 65lb bomb. and i tried the 50lbers from the groundcrews brit pack but they don't look right.

add this to the DP and those files should be all set.

[HARDPOINTS]
mount.15=0.1,0,-1
mount.16=-0.1,0,-1
mount.17=0.1,0.2,-1
mount.18=-0.1,0.2,-1

[PAYLOADS]
payload.5=%payload_name.5%
payload.6=%payload_name.6%

[PAYLOAD.5]
; Payload = 2 x 112lb Bombs (Internal)
mount.17=wep_rl_112lb_gp, 1, -1
mount.18=wep_rl_112lb_gp, 1, 17

[PAYLOAD.6]
; Payload =4 x 25lb Bombs (Internal)
mount.15=wep_cop_25lb_gp, 1, -1
mount.16=wep_cop_25lb_gp, 1, 15
mount.17=wep_cop_25lb_gp, 1, 15
mount.18=wep_cop_25lb_gp, 1, 15

[STRINGS]
"payload_name.5"=2 x 112lb Bombs (Internal)
"payload_name.6"=4 x 25lb Bombs (Internal)

Blood_Hawk23
December 15th, 2012, 16:04
Ok neither have the animations for the wheels. other than that everything else is good.

Allen
December 15th, 2012, 16:48
None of my aircraft have animations for the wheels. They are made using the gMax FS2004 Gamepack and are saved in FS2004 format than port back to CFS2 and wheels animations don't port back well. Some time they don't even work at all and other times one side will work fine while the other side will start spinning like normal than fly off to the side as you take off than fly back into place when the whell slows down once your off the ground.

I also know a number of of 2 seaters were converted to single seaters in order to improve performance and that they look like bomber variant but I can't find any pics that I know fore sure are single seat fighters. I can find single seat bombers just fine...

Anyway I updated the bomber and the 2 seat fighter you can get here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=124&linkid=15070

Rami
December 15th, 2012, 19:17
Allen,

Outstanding work bringing yet another creation to life! :salute:

Blood_Hawk23
December 15th, 2012, 19:21
Look for pics with this name

Sopwith ComicSingle seat home defence fighter

they were converted 2 seaters

here is a quote from wiki that might help.

"This was by no means the end of the story as far the Sopwith two seater's service was concerned. The type's long range and stability were good qualities for a home defence fighter and it served with three home defence squadrons, No 37, No 40 and No 78 Squadrons. Most of the 1½ Strutters supplied to home defence units had been built as two-seaters but many were converted "in the field" to single seaters in order to improve performance. Some of these single-seaters were similar to the bomber variant but others were of different type, known (like similarly adapted Sopwith Camels) as the Sopwith Comic. The cockpit was moved back behind the wings and one or two Lewis guns, either mounted on Foster Mountings or fixed to fire upwards, outside the arc of the propeller, replaced the synchronised Vickers."

I'll check by looking up the squadrons.

Blood_Hawk23
December 15th, 2012, 19:29
Yup, look up Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Comic. That should get you started. I found one pic from a model kit that got me going. only a couple of real planes in all that i found. the model looks nice though.

Allen
December 15th, 2012, 20:02
What I'm looking for is a single seater that hasn't had the cockpit moved back... Not having any luck.

Blood_Hawk23
December 15th, 2012, 20:04
OOoohhh!!!

Ok. I'll see what i can dig up. what have you been searching under?

So far i've had no luck. I can find the Night fighter version but it is moved back just like the Comic. I have noticed later single seat bomber versions with openings in the wings just above the pilots. also on some of the 2 seaters. looks like the Belgians did this with a few.

I'll keep looking. I'll try The Aerodrome site as well. sometimes they can dig up some great info and pics.

Allen
December 15th, 2012, 20:30
I'ved tried Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Comic and Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Single Seater.

If I can find how the guns are monted, Panel and some other deatils I'll do a back seater Comic.

Blood_Hawk23
December 15th, 2012, 21:38
Yeah same here. I even tried Sopwith LCT with no luck. I even looked through the french versions and experimental. It may have been done as an Experiment prior to the PUP but I haven't found that info yet. If you use the mountings from the Nieuports i'm sure you would be close. I believe that they were the Foster mountings and they used both single and duel Lewis guns.

stoney
December 16th, 2012, 14:14
In my book "Sopwith Aircraft" by Mick Davis there is a photo of a Naval 5 Wing single seat strutter type 9700, bomber, fwd seat in company of the standard two seater. The single seater has a Lewis gun mounted over the upper wing center section ala Nieuport style.

Talon
December 16th, 2012, 15:34
Thanks guys! I too am quite heartened to see some others are interested in WWI in CFS2.I hope it's a start of a movement.:salute:

Maybe if you made some mission packs or campaigns you might get more interest in WW1 air combat.If I remember correctly the one Blondi did for Aerocrate was a big hit.

Blood_Hawk23
December 16th, 2012, 16:49
I'm currently working on the Belgian side. what is missing is the French.

AER_DaddyO
December 17th, 2012, 08:22
Great work, guys! Always good to see interest in the WWI era crates.

As for the Strutter, there are some profiles here, that show various versions, and may be of interest:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/115/9/0

As I understand things, the French used 3 versions: the 1B1 [single seat bomber using the forward cockpit with rear internal bomb bay, usually with upper wing mounted Lewis gun] the 1B2 [two seat bomber using external bomb racks, with either Vickers or Lewis for the pilot, and flexible mount Lewis for the observer] and the 1A2 for Recon and Artillery spotting [2 seater armed as the 1B2, but with an extra fuel tank]. The British versions are the 9400 [as you already have it modeled] the 9700 single seat bomber [with pilot in the forward cockpit and rear internal bomb bay, armed with a syncronized forward Vickers utilizing upper wing cutouts to improve the pilot's view]. The anti-Zeppelin "Comic" version used in the Home Defence role [single seat fighter with the pilot in the rear cockpit, armed with an upper wing Lewis on moveable mount, or stationary upward firing Lewis on fuselage mount, for firing up into a Zep from below and behind]. All versions used either a 100hp, 110hp or 130hp Clerget rotary engine, the latter two being the most common. I believe there was also an unarmed dual control trainer version, utilizing an 80 hp engine.

Again, THANX for making it happen... a really nice addition to any CFS2-WWI set.

"Don't just stand there...get one up!"

AER_DaddyO

Allen
December 17th, 2012, 10:54
Another slow day but I did get the 1 seat "Comic" done unless some one sees some thing that needs to be fixed.

I'll have to get around to uploading the bomber as well...

stoney
December 17th, 2012, 11:44
Talon, I can not get the mission builder to work in my WWI or WWII Euro to work. I've tried but it's a no go no matter how much I try.

oldwheat
December 17th, 2012, 13:17
I am started on Belgian skin(s?) but am to the point of a decision. Blood_Hawk23, have you found anything more re-markings & colors?

stoney
December 17th, 2012, 13:25
Well I'll be jiggered! I re-re-D/L Cody Coyote's tute and now I CAN get my WWI install mission builder to work! I miss-read part of his instructions. Wow, it sure seems complicated!

Allen
December 17th, 2012, 14:33
You can now get the 1 seat bomber...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/205413557745384422.png

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=124&linkid=15084

Blood_Hawk23
December 17th, 2012, 18:35
OldWheat its is up to you. I haven't found any other pics that would help. I'll email you some or post them if i do.

here is one of a model. not that great of images but you get the color idea.
http://users.skynet.be/fa233213/En/AircraftModels/Sopwith/SopstrutterBe.html
This one says its Willy Coppens, 4th Escadrille - Houtem, 1917, Looks Like S-6, N5240.
http://www.scaleaircrafts.com/Countries/Belgium/184.htm
Looks like they are both of the same plane.

No 6 Squadrons were British aircraft sent to belgium. so you can use that with the belgian markings. Realy any of them would be great. I do like the "Flying Fox" and the one with the Fuse Bomb. Wish i could ID the pilots.

Allen i think the files will be fine on the Comic so out side of making it a lewis gun instead of the vickers (change sound to 7.7m should do) i have nothing else for it. Did you get my PM?

Great work on this one. I think we all have a new project to start. I'll get the scenery on those bases done and let everyone who wants to use it for missions to get started. I know with the inclusion of the Strutter i'll have alot to do (not that i didn't before).

Till Later
John P Fortin
(aka Polar_Lion)
Blood_Hawk23

Allen
December 17th, 2012, 19:37
I just changed sound to 7.7m and re-adjusted the pitch of the gun so the AI could hit other aircraft.

The B24 Guy
December 18th, 2012, 11:59
Hi All,

Great job on a neat aircraft.

When I read that the wheels did not roll, I could not control myself.

Allen, feel free to update the downloads if you wish.

Regards,
B24Guy

Allen
December 18th, 2012, 14:37
I updated all 3 with the new models. Also gave The B24 credit for the wheels in the Read_Me(s).

The B24 Guy
December 18th, 2012, 15:18
I updated all 3 with the new models. Also gave The B24 credit for the wheels in the Read_Me(s).

Thanks Allen,
Really great job on the Strutters.

I am now looking in the G4M1 to see what I can do.

Regards,
B24Guy

Cowboy1968
December 19th, 2012, 20:10
I would like to say thank you to everyone. We now have one of the most important planes that flew over the Western Front.

Thanks for the great work!!!!

Jagdflieger
December 20th, 2012, 09:29
My thanks as well. Great thread and effort and a super product!

oldwheat
December 20th, 2012, 14:35
I just upload a Belgian texture package (2 aircraft) as per Blood_Hawk23's request.

Jagdflieger
December 21st, 2012, 09:58
Just got the pack OW. Thanks!

stoney
December 21st, 2012, 13:28
Thank you OW. They are much appreciated.:salute: