PDA

View Full Version : i need some help,vetrans flag

Daveroo
December 3rd, 2012, 08:36
heres the deal,my niece inlaws father was a vietnam combat vet,he rarely talked about it,but was very proud of his service,could be bitter at times about the care he was recieving ect..but it happens...he was killed when his rear tire blew out on his harley on a tight curve and he lost control and hit a chevy suburban headon,he was killed on impact,,,what was bad?...eli ,my nephew and trista,the niece inlaw,were in my rv and we were listening to my fire scanner when they toned out for the crash,heard them say the rider was 11-44 (dead) and trista made the comment..."ya know,daddy is on a poker run there today,i hope he doesnt know the guy".....

anyway..my mother wants to know how to..first of all,and then know if she can get the vetrans flag for Bill..she wants to put it in the triangle shaped wooden case and give it trista in hounor of her father.

who would we contact?..how do we go about this?....my father,me,his father..none of us ever served...i know shame on us...but we havent a clue how to go about contacting the right resource

rvn817j
December 3rd, 2012, 08:43
https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/mfh/getLinks.do?tab=Services

Lots of information. It also suggests you check with a funeral director (so any local funeral home may help).

TeaSea
December 3rd, 2012, 15:34
http://www.cem.va.gov/bbene/

VA's site is above....all kinds of stuff that most folks do not know about (and yes, next of kin get a flag).

Cannot be a dishonorable discharge though.

rvn817 is correct, a funeral director will know all about this and how to go about getting it done. Depending on the era of veteran he was, local veterans associations may provide more.

Ickie
December 3rd, 2012, 16:59
any VFW, DAV, or American Legion, has info, also if he was a member of any of the 3 they will give a Military Funeral if asked with "American Flag" and Bugler @ no cost

strikehawk
December 3rd, 2012, 17:56
What Ickie said, my dad was retired Navy and had worked as a case officer for Kern County's Office of Veteran Affairs. When he passed I was overwhelmed at the local groups that were there to give him a "proper send off". DAV provided a firing squad, the American Legion sent a bugler, and I forget who else sent who. Your family will be surprised at the amount of support and display of respect these groups give at the passing of a Vet.

Also, my sincere condolences on your family's loss.

Daveroo
December 3rd, 2012, 18:27
ok..i should have stated..Bill passed a few years ago....like 8 or 9 years now,he infact had a HUGE funeral...bikers and military every where including many hells angels which burned my hide..but ohwell..but no one told trista about the flag...and bills GF at the time was only concerned about how much of bills property and money she could get.not about what bill had done in his life,btw,bill and his partner had built these medical "containers" simular to a ironlung..only better,he had sold 12 of them up to the time of his death,most are in hospitals on the west coast..as far as i know...it has to do with people who are in a vegitative state ,they can be inside this thing completely and not have all the tubes ect..and unlike the ironlung,,the head doesnt have to remain outside...its for theripy..not 24/7...his son jason,tristas brother..hit the back of a van while traeling 85-90 mph on a harley....he has been in a "vegitative state since",,his mentality is that of a 2 year old or less right now..and he is 6'8"...its hard to see..

strikehawk
December 4th, 2012, 14:26
At this point in time the only things that could be done are these

Contact the funeral home that handled his service the director may be able to help

Or contact the VA, if your county has it's own Veteran's Services dept like Kern County does then contact them for help, a lot of times these offices will tangle with the VA to get things for a Vet or his family. I know my dad would fight tooth and nail to get a guy what was due to him, you might get lucky and get a case worker like that.

Last thing I can think of, contact the VFW or American Legion and see if they can help. Last hope is asking and active duty member to ask around, sometimes these guys will do it just because it's the right thing to do. Not much more that I can think of maybe someone wiser than myself can give you a good lead.

TeaSea
December 4th, 2012, 16:17
ok..i should have stated..Bill passed a few years ago....like 8 or 9 years now,he infact had a HUGE funeral...bikers and military every where including many hells angels which burned my hide..but ohwell..but no one told trista about the flag...and bills GF at the time was only concerned about how much of bills property and money she could get.not about what bill had done in his life,btw,bill and his partner had built these medical "containers" simular to a ironlung..only better,he had sold 12 of them up to the time of his death,most are in hospitals on the west coast..as far as i know...it has to do with people who are in a vegitative state ,they can be inside this thing completely and not have all the tubes ect..and unlike the ironlung,,the head doesnt have to remain outside...its for theripy..not 24/7...his son jason,tristas brother..hit the back of a van while traeling 85-90 mph on a harley....he has been in a "vegitative state since",,his mentality is that of a 2 year old or less right now..and he is 6'8"...its hard to see..

If Bill is a veteran, he's still entitled and as far as I know there is no time limitation. Again, contact the VA with the issue. They will likely want a copy of his DD214 to verify his service though.....