PDA

View Full Version : Lack of LSA/ Ultralights FSX Project

pilotnick1053
November 27th, 2012, 11:29
Hi all,
As I have searched for LSA aicraft very few have been found (I have simmed for five years and I am 14). I am wondering if anybody would like to start a project to create some with me. I am trying to get people on. I take lessons in a Cessna 172 and have flown a real C162 LSA. I would like to model some Pipistrel, Diamond, Flight Design etc. I have no experience doing any modeling but would enjoy to learn. There would also be in game maintnence modes like the Aerosof Katana 4x and modeled BRS chutes.:jump:

Allen
November 27th, 2012, 23:10
I don't know a lot about FSX but if you want build your own aircraft the Getting Started With Gmax and Gmax Tutorials is the place to start.

pilotnick1053
November 30th, 2012, 12:41
I don't know a lot about FSX but if you want build your own aircraft the Getting Started With Gmax and Gmax Tutorials is the place to start.
I see. Any advice, i'm brand new!

Allen
November 30th, 2012, 13:23
Read any of the documents that come with the gMax gamepack or any other required parts.

These documets are hidden it seem like. I found the needed documents for FS2004 in C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\docs and C:\Program Files\FS2004SDK\MakeMDL_SDK I would guess Microsoft did the same thing with FSX as well.

Pick something simple to start with. Finding a alreay made gMax source of an FSX aircraft as it will show you how gMax dose things like Heirarchy and Animated parts.

Milton Shupe
December 1st, 2012, 04:44
Do you have the SDK installed?

Picked up this sequence somewhere:

Install the FS-X SDK from the FS-X Deluixe disc (original) to the default location;
Install the SDK update SP1a (which gives you the gmax gamepack), again, to the default location;
COPY the FSX_gmaxgamepack folder and all of its contents to your gmax/gamepacks folder;
WIthin the FSX_GamxGamepacks folder there is a startup gmax icon .. send (copy/move) that icon to your desktop.;
Start gmax for FS-X with THAT icon (DO NOT USE THE PLAIN DEFAULT gmax ICON);
If you have Acceleration, you'll find all the needed SDK updates on that disk...

The order of installation is :
SDK RTM (from FS-X disc)
SDK SP1a (download or install from ACceleration) <- contains the gmax gamepack.
SDK SP2/ACceleration (download (SP2) or install (Acceleration))

If you already have this, great!

Here are some of my thoughts:

First, modeling aircraft is one discipline separate from doing panels, sounds, textures, flight models, beta testing or documentation. It starts with modeling.

If you are not familiar with Gmax/3DSMax, you need to go through the "Tutorials" to become familiar with the tools.

The "Help" is comprehensive.

Here are some basic tutorials I have done. They may be useful after you have installed gmax/3DSMax and have done the tutorials.

A Basic GMax Video Introduction:

Download the zip of the .avi file to play:
http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/...basicintro.zip

Here is the Data Collection writeup:
http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/data/

Gmax tutorials are here:

This is the long series of tutorials created for design of the C-162:
http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

Creating a Calibration Box for your 3-views:
http://www.flightsimonline.com/gmax/calbox.htm

As always, Google and Bing are your friends. There is a lot of help out there for gmax questions. Same with YouTube.

The website FSDeveloper is an excellent resource with lots of knowledgeable help, tutorials, and advice. Use it.

There are books for 3DSMax and classes available for 3DSMax.

I hope this helps to get you thinking about a structured process to get started.

Good luck, and have patience.
Milton Shupe

pilotnick1053
December 1st, 2012, 06:19
Hi,
Thanks for the responses! :mixedsmi: I am also wondering now can you make 3d gauges in Gmax and make a VC? How detailed can you make it(poly etc. i want hi res) Eventually,
I would like to make some payware. Also the question how can I make stall buffet and vibration effect. Also to add a BRS parachute how would i go about that?

pilotnick1053
December 1st, 2012, 06:20
And yes Gmax is installed. Thanks for the links i will take a look.

Milton Shupe
December 1st, 2012, 16:10
And yes Gmax is installed. Thanks for the links i will take a look.

Please explore FSDeveloper for a wide variety input regarding all things modeling.