PDA

View Full Version : PC Upgrade+FSX Migration Help & Questions...

Mach3DS
November 24th, 2012, 13:21
I just ordered new hardware for a new rig, yeah! My 1st gen quadcore processor is now too old to run the current addons for FSX smoothly...thanks to REX (LOL).

Among other items, the main modules of note are the OS, CPU, MB, RAM

Window7 Home premium 64bit
MSI 990fx MB
AMD FX-8150 8 core, Black Edition, Unlocked (3.6ghz - Turbo 4.2ghz - OC...much higher...won't be doing it though at this point)
Kingston HyperX 16GB RAM 1600mhz

I have a couple of big questions. I'm either going to:

1. Try to Migrate my current FSX folder to the new hard drive (if that can even be done)

or

2. Fresh Install

My questions are:

1. I know I can copy the entire folder to my new hard drive, but, can I use that Flight1 resgistry repair tool to create the registry on my new system. (Currently I'm running Vista 64 latest SP) or is there another way to create an FSX registry entry which will recognize and point installers to?

2. I have addons such as A2A+Accusim & REX which perform some kind of passive hardware verification...can I change out these major components and reinstall? I feel like a complete reinstall will probably provide me with less head aches, I'm just nervous that I'll have issues trying to reinstall software that was verified to different set of hardware already? Are my concerns valid or will I be OK to do this?

3. Last question, how does Windows 7 affect my working in FSX? I've heard there is a slightly different way to install scenery/other addons? Can anyone elaborate in detail on this?

I would almost prefer to do a fresh install if that helps with a direction to base your advice on! Major addons I use:

VRS - SuperBug
Milviz - Payware
Warbirdsim - Payware
A2A - Accusim aircraft
A2A - AccuFeel
REX2 + Essentials
ENBSeries
FSD - Payware
Dino's Freeware
Blue Sky Scenery - Almost all of it...
ORBX Scenery

Thank you all for considering another one of these threads!...I would really appreciate some good details on how to do it, from someone who's been there before. Thanks everyone!

ryanbatc
November 24th, 2012, 14:03
I've always been a fan of fresh install... in fact if you're changing MB too I'd do a complete reformat. I realize parts swaps can be done without a reformat but I've always done it with one.

Paul Anderson
November 24th, 2012, 14:47
I can't say about Windows 7, but in XP for FSX backup purposes I had to track down folders for:
shaders
fsx cfg(s)
flights
scenery cfg
V shots

Haven't had to use them yet, so don't know for sure if I got them all.