PDA

View Full Version : Terrain Color Problem

stovall
January 4th, 2009, 14:02
My terrain seems to have two colors or brightness (hard to tell which) that advance as the aircraft moves forward. It is just where my aircraft is and can be seen from any angle. As the aircraft moves forward the square marks you can see in the picture advance with the aircraft. It may be a change in brightness or even color.

I purchased REX and saw that I needed to change my Terrain_Max_Load number to 4096. This problem seemed to disappear at that time. Suddenly it is back. For the last year I have lived with this appearance but seeing it disappear for a while there must be hope to make all the textures look the same without the jagged color difference.

Anyone have any ideas? :help:

Thanks Tom

http://www.animal-clinic.com/FSX/Terrain_ProblemSM.jpg

Panther_99FS
January 4th, 2009, 16:11
Looks kind of like what happens in FS2004 when the default "grass.bmp" file is changed...:kilroy:

heywooood
January 4th, 2009, 16:27
I've gotten that effect too...in the first two shots you can see the effect fairly well - but in the overhead shots you get a better idea of whats happening...

this is along the terminator - the broad line between the dawn and the darkness

heywooood
January 4th, 2009, 16:28
its a peculiar effect that I've noticed only since installing REX and using the more deeply tinted sunrise / sunset themes..

stovall
January 4th, 2009, 16:52
In my case, my problems were solved after installing REX and setting the Terrain_Max_Load to 4096. I thought that was what cured it but obviously not. That is the setting I have now and the problem still exists. I have had this trouble long before purchasing REX.

Any help is much appreciated. It was really nice to not see the lines for about a week. I took Rogers advise and got rid of my page files. I can not say for sure this is what caused the problem. Putting back the page files has not helped at all.

Thanks, Tom

Panther_99FS
January 4th, 2009, 16:53
Hmmm...
I wonder if REX changed the default "grass.bmp" texture....

spotlope
January 4th, 2009, 16:59
I think that's "detail.bmp", Panther. There's no separate grass texture for FS, it's just one single noise texture.

Panther_99FS
January 4th, 2009, 17:01
Whoops! - Yep you're right Bill...:redface:

I think that's "detail.bmp", Panther. There's no separate grass texture for FS, it's just one single noise texture.

stovall
January 4th, 2009, 18:15
You guys are on the right trail, I think after intalling the REX grass texture things went south. Good work Ed. My backup seems to have a problem.Could anyone send me the default FSX detail1.bmp ? I believe it is about 86 kb. Right now I have PicNic's version but the problem still exists. Anyway my email is

stovall@shasta.com

Thanks, Tom

heywooood
January 4th, 2009, 18:58
man - if that IS the answer I'd also like to get a copy of the original... or if someone can tell me where it is - I think I copied the original FSX texture folder if its in that one.

stovall
January 4th, 2009, 19:12
Heywooood, the detail1.bmp is in the Scenery/World/Texture folder. Please email me a copy so I can test my theory.

Thanks, Tom

stovall
January 4th, 2009, 19:56
First, my problem is solved by reinstalling the default detail1.bmp file found in FSX/Scenery/World/Texture folder. I found the file on the net doing a search for this file.

It seems others have had this same problem with PicNic grass. The uninstall puts the wrong file in the place of the original. Others have seen the problem with the squares etc.

Panther, you hit my problem right on. Thanks to everyone for the help.

While waiting I tried the FS9 detail1.bmp and it worked just fine also. Could even be the same files just the FSX is in DXT1.

Anyway I hope this helps someone else.

Regards to all and thanks, Tom

heywooood
January 5th, 2009, 16:22
that fixed it for me as well - thanks to Stovall and Panther :ernae:

MCDesigns
January 5th, 2009, 16:30
Well this thread sucks!! LOL

I LOVE the detail I get with picnic detail.bmp, but I to occasionally get the same issues as you Tom. At least I know how to fix it now :-(

heywooood
January 5th, 2009, 16:43
same here MCD...

but that blocky lighting anomolie had to GO

did I mention I like this Sukoi..?

flewpastu
January 5th, 2009, 20:16
Tom, do you have a link, I did a search but came up with only modified ones. or my e-mail is copas@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks

Bill

stovall
January 5th, 2009, 21:11
Flewpastu check your email. The link for the original detail1.bmp is found here! (http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=26728&PD=0)

Clears up the problem, Tom

flewpastu
January 6th, 2009, 08:16
Thanks A bunch Tom.

Bill