PDA

View Full Version : Question about making FS movies

PRB
November 24th, 2012, 04:21
I use Fraps to record my flight sim movies. But there appears to be a file size limit in Fraps, such that if you record a long movie, you get it in several files. I would like to “glue them together” into one file, but don't have any video editing software that will do this. Do any of you out there use something free for this? I looked on Sourceforge.net and there are a lot of free video related applications, but if anyone has recommendations, that might cut down on my “download, install, try, uninstall, download, install, try” adventure.

Also, I thought I read someplace here that the latest version of FS Recorder has the ability to save your recorded flights to movie files. I just downloaded version 2.1 and the PDF file still says it will not do this. I have 2.01 installed and use it to record flights for later playback and recording with Fraps.
Thanks!

- Paul

Dave Torkington
November 24th, 2012, 04:38
Hi Paul,

I've used Windows Live Movie Maker [free] in the past and it worked well for basic cutting and joining videos. Not sure how well it handles large files though..

It comes as part of Windows Essentials 2012 but you can choose to install W.L.M.M. only.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started

Regards, Dave.

PRB
November 24th, 2012, 04:57
Hi Dave,

I've tried movie maker, but I can't get good results from it. MM seems to kill the resolution, or something, because they always come out looking like crap for me. Haven't found any option settings that might help, besides "best quality"... :)

- Paul

PRB
November 24th, 2012, 05:27
Took another look at Movie Maker. I guess it isn't so bad. I'm just greedy - I want full screen movie with the same resolution as inside FSX, and a small file size too! Movie Maker makes it 800 x 500 (about) and I do wish I had the option to not scale it down, but in the mean time this works ok. BTW, this is the new LHC Tri Pacer. Love this plane!

- Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm5Vou7WIM0&feature=youtu.be

Aaron
November 24th, 2012, 06:06
Under movie in FRAPS, there is a box saying split movie every 4 gigabytes. Uncheck this and you should have just one file when you record.

airattackimages
November 24th, 2012, 06:18
Hmm, you don't see the option to render your movie in 1080 HD? I use it all the time in WLMM. I really miss the regular old WMM. Could do a lot more with it, but oh well.

PRB
November 24th, 2012, 06:36
Don't see that option in my version of Fraps (3.4.6). I'm running Movie Maker version 2.6, and I don't see anything about 1080 HD. Looking for newer versions...

- Paul

Aaron
November 24th, 2012, 06:38
Don't see that option in my version of Fraps (3.4.6). I'm running Movie Maker version 2.6, and I don't see anything about 1080 HD. Looking for newer versions...

- Paul

My FRAPS version is 3.5.9, it is a new update.

PRB
November 24th, 2012, 06:46
My FRAPS version is 3.5.9, it is a new update.

Rgr, just installed 3.5.9, and I see it now. Thanks!

- Paul

Aaron
November 24th, 2012, 07:08

- Paul

No problem.

-Aaron

Aaron
November 24th, 2012, 12:46

- Paul

Let me know if this has solved your problem.
Thanks