PDA

View Full Version : Convert bmp to dds for S2F/E1B

FSX68
November 19th, 2012, 13:28
How would I convert the .bmps to DDS files to make them compatible with the new Native S2F3 and E1B?

I would need some guidance as to how to go about this and all the tech stuff that I would need to know. I just may try my hand at converting one of the recent E1B repaints from the bmp
format to the DDS format. I would like to give it a try anyway.

Awaiting any "expert" advice from anyone out there.

Thanks in advance.

falcon409
November 19th, 2012, 15:50
I believe there is a batch file floating about that does that. I don't use it, but a lot of others do. I'm sure someone will be along that can direct you to it.:salute:

capun
November 20th, 2012, 06:03
Google is your friend :)

I have been using Martin Wright's DXTBMP for a long time. I don't do batch conversions but I think it does.

Very nifty and small utility.

DaveQ
November 20th, 2012, 06:23
If you PM me I'll send you a zipped copy of a batch converter. Dunno where I got it but I've had it years and it works in XP, Vista and W7. Other than that DXTbmp is the way to go.

DaveQ

roger-wilco-66
November 20th, 2012, 06:28
Martin Wright also wrote a utility called ConvImX that does those conversions in batch mode see

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/beta.htm

Note, you'll need to install the dll pack separately.

Chers,
Mark

FSX68
November 20th, 2012, 15:18
Martin Wright also wrote a utility called ConvImX that does those conversions in batch mode see

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/beta.htm

Note, you'll need to install the dll pack separately.

Chers,
Mark

Mark,

I used that program(CONVIMX) you linked me too and for the most part it make DDS files out of BMP's however the text on the plane is a tad blurry.
I used the DX1(no Alpha) setting. I'm not sure what you mean by the dll pack. I didn't fool with that. I got the case of the blurries on this convert.
anyways here is my DDS fudd: What do I have to do to sharpen the print on the plane? A different setting on convimx perhaps? This is a dave steward FS9 repaint.

Dain Arns
November 20th, 2012, 15:49
Okay.
Do you need to convert these files?
Are you having performance issues with FSX?

Only reason I ask, is because FSX handles .bmp format as well as .dds.
For example, a lot of Carenado's releases for FSX still use .bmp textures.
If you aren't having any performance issues, you can just use the .bmp textures instead.

FSX68
November 20th, 2012, 16:45
Okay.
Do you need to convert these files?
Are you having performance issues with FSX?

Only reason I ask, is because FSX handles .bmp format as well as .dds.
For example, a lot of Carenado's releases for FSX still use .bmp textures.
If you aren't having any performance issues, you can just use the .bmp textures instead.

If I intergrate DDS textures with the BMP's in the livery in question^ I wind up with less then desired. Why should I resort to a "mixed bag" of DDS and BMP files when it IMHO should be all bmp or in this case all DDS. I am trying to add additional liveries to the new Native FSX E1B and I don't know if the original painters like Dave Stewart will convert (I emailed him with a request to convert)

So here is what a mixed bag of BMP's AND DDS looks like:

75924Granted it is improved a bit but you can clearly see the glass and nose wheels are still dark.

Dain Arns
November 20th, 2012, 17:29
Honestly, FSX doesn't care .bmp or .dds, as I said it will happily display both.
Unless you try to put the same named files into the same folder,( i.e. say example.bmp and example.dds), in which case if I remember correctly it will default to using the .bmp version first over the .dds version.

Also remember in FSX, having a texture.cfg file in the repaint's folder that you are installing insures that common or shared textures can be aliased/used without having to copy all those files into the same folder regardless of texture type.

But maybe Dave Stewart can help you out instead.

expat
November 21st, 2012, 01:24
Why should I resort to a "mixed bag" of DDS and BMP files

My 2 cents - on my 3-4 year old machine (now surpassed by new IT, e.g. SSD's, new processors, etc) I have never noticed any difference between DDS and bmp textures re fps performance or resolution quality in FSX. And I mix them for a particular paint all the time.

jankees
November 21st, 2012, 01:43
in theory, dds should load a bit faster, because the images are already flipped vertically, but in practice I never noticed any difference.

The blurries might have something to do with mip maps. These should be OFF, or you get the blurries.

FSX68
November 21st, 2012, 12:40
[QUOTE=Dain Arns;762049]Honestly, FSX doesn't care .bmp or .dds, as I said it will happily display both.
Unless you try to put the same named files into the same folder,( i.e. say example.bmp and example.dds), in which case if I remember correctly it will default to using the .bmp version first over the .dds version.

Also remember in FSX, having a texture.cfg file in the repaint's folder that you are installing insures that common or shared textures can be aliased/used without having to copy all those files into the same folder regardless of texture type. <<<<< Not sure what you mean by this. If you are saying to put the texture.cfg in the livery folder then I tried that and still had some issues with parts of the
plane looking black, esp the nose gear. Been there done that got the "T" shirt........

p3aewguy
November 21st, 2012, 14:14
Hi Guys,

Sorry I don't know much about FSX and it's texture properties. I have learned how to convert DDS textures from FSX DDS to BMP's that FS9 can use. All of the layered paint kit files are in 1024 x 1024 size. Some of the first verion file were in 2048 sized textures, but much of the model was remapped rendering them useless. I tried enlarging the layered PSP in the V2 paint kit and it doesn't look too bad in PSP9. Unfortunately I have no way to check this out on a model, as I don't have FSX at all.

The second picture above appears to be missing some of the generic textures. The area around the windows is mapped to the "widowframes" texture. The struts are on "miscellaneous" texture, at least on the FS9 model. They appeared textured in the first picture.

I can say for sure that enlarging BMP files to twice the original size won't work as you know from your attempt. The larger you go the blurier or more jagged the edges get.

Your second picture looks pretty good. If get the "generic" textures sorted out. Also, I always disable mipmaps when I finish textures. So unless you had the mipmaps on when converting these, they should be disabled.

Best of luck,

Dave

Dain Arns
November 21st, 2012, 15:48
Not sure what you mean by this. If you are saying to put the texture.cfg in the livery folder then I tried that and still had some issues with parts of the
plane looking black, esp the nose gear. Been there done that got the "T" shirt........

Well, congratulations to you! :applause:
Of course, you weren't wearing the "T Shirt" at the time, so we all couldn't tell. :icon_lol:

bruce448
November 21st, 2012, 23:49
here is what you need just place the 2 files in your texture folder/s bd run the bat file, it is set up for DTX5 .DDS with no MIPS

http://www.mediafire.com/?2d9r7gudux7v867

Bruce