PDA

View Full Version : Simple REX Questions

TeaSea
November 18th, 2012, 04:45
I'm sure I have actually seen the answer to this on the REX forum but I can't find it...thought someone here might know.

I start FSX from inside REX. At times it seems the weather settings are fighting one another. If I check the FSX panel, it's set to "User Defined". If I check REX it's downloading weather.

On approach the other day I went from LIFR to clear blue skies in one second (actual conditions reported by that station were in fact Low IFR). I've had it take me the other way as well.

What's the proper setting in FSX to keep RES settings running?

falcon409
November 18th, 2012, 08:02
TeaSea, I'm gonna watch this thread for the answer to this question. . . .one I've had for a long time now. REX "loads" the weather when FSX starts up (or so it seems), but like you I've noticed the same setup in the "Weather" tab "user defined" and assumed that it meant that it was allowing REX to generate the "proper" weather for the current location. Again though, like you, I've also changed the setting to Real World Weather (with updates every 15 minutes) and find the weather patterns to be quite different, so I'm not sure exactly what REX does beyond giving us the enhanced texture sets. Does it actually interact with any real world weather engine or is it just taking default weather and giving it a pretty appearance?

icycle
November 18th, 2012, 08:58
+1

I tried a flight from OMDB to EDDL - twice, and it seems that throughout the flight, REX was "fighting" its own weather. Soon it just went "severe clear", with no clouds at all, from flying over Turkey, to landing in Dusseldorf. At the time, EDDL was in real-world, reporting low clouds and rain!!

Switched back to AS2012 - at least for the time-being. Though I really like depiction in REX OD, I can't rely on it to keep updated weather throughout my flight(s).

Bill

RobM
November 18th, 2012, 13:28
I don't know if everyone's already tried, but I've been using the new WBX Plus mode (select on the upper right hand
part of the Rex Weather Engine page), and I've been reasonably happy with the results. The weather doesn't seem to change quite so dramatically every time there's an upload, and there doesn't seem to be quite the huge gaps between reporting weather stations.

Thanks - Rob

falcon409
November 18th, 2012, 15:20
I don't know if everyone's already tried, but I've been using the new WBX Plus mode (select on the upper right hand
part of the Rex Weather Engine page), and I've been reasonably happy with the results. The weather doesn't seem to change quite so dramatically every time there's an upload, and there doesn't seem to be quite the huge gaps between reporting weather stations.

Thanks - Rob
Nothing like that (WBX Plus Mode) for my version of REX. What version are you running? Mine is REX2.0/build 2.3.2010.1027

papab
November 18th, 2012, 15:30
Nothing like that (WBX Plus Mode) for my version of REX. What version are you running? Mine is REX2.0/build 2.3.2010.1027

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21718-rex-essential-plus-overdrive-for-rex-2320101027-users/

falcon409
November 18th, 2012, 15:45
http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21718-rex-essential-plus-overdrive-for-rex-2320101027-users/
Ok. . . .right off the bat, they fail to be very clear with an instruction: "delete file rexwxengine2.exe", this FILE is no longer needed. there are actually 2 files, one is the application file which is obviously an executable file and the most obvious, there is also an XML file which is also named the same (rexwxengine2.exe). So do they both get deleted or by some weird chance is the XML file not supposed to be touched?

falcon409
November 18th, 2012, 15:52
Download should be complete by tomorrow morning....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

limjack
November 18th, 2012, 16:54
I'm sure I have actually seen the answer to this on the REX forum but I can't find it...thought someone here might know.I start FSX from inside REX. At times it seems the weather settings are fighting one another. If I check the FSX panel, it's set to "User Defined". If I check REX it's downloading weather.On approach the other day I went from LIFR to clear blue skies in one second (actual conditions reported by that station were in fact Low IFR). I've had it take me the other way as well.What's the proper setting in FSX to keep RES settings running?I ran into the same thing today. Seattle is wet, windy and rainy and on arrival it was clear. I manually injected weather but only added a few clouds (tried both weather engines). Winds were correct but cloud coverage was scattered with the sun out. The atis on fsx was reporting overcast and rain. Once on ground I let the aircraft sit at the gate for awhile and then the weather at one point switched over to what it should of been. This could be user error as well with settings inside the weather engine not set up right. Need to look at the manaul again to figure out if it is me or something beyond my control. I have to say the flight (klas to Ksea) to Seattle was spot right on up until about 20 miles out. It was so nice looking out the window at 35,000 feet and seeing nothing but clouds below me and stretched to the horizon. Could not see any blue. I was so looking forward to the approach into seattle with the overcast conditions. Jim

Attached pic of my settings

TeaSea
November 19th, 2012, 15:57
At least I wasn't the only one having this issue. I have ver. 3.5.2012.1029 and would like to try RobM's suggestion but cannot find this command either (I may be looking right at it and just not seeing it).

Your settings are pretty close to mine Limjack.

TeaSea
November 19th, 2012, 15:59
At least I wasn't the only one having this issue. I have ver. 3.5.2012.1029 and would like to try RobM's suggestion but cannot find this command either (I may be looking right at it and just not seeing it).

Your settings are pretty close to mine Limjack.

Doh! Disregard....I'm already using it....

falcon409
November 19th, 2012, 16:07
I downloaded and installed the update as indicated by "papab". Snazzy splash screen and menu's. Set everything up, started FSX. . .no difference. I honestly don't see anything different with this HD/Overdrive. Clouds are clouds, water is water and inside FSX, the weather tab still show "user defined" and when I switch to RW weather, the weather systems are totally different. So, my inclination is that REX, when running (which is every time you start FSX), is building it's own weather patterns, based on what. . .I have no idea. It's not based on RW weather, that's for sure. Oh, but did I mention it does have this snazzy new Menu, lol.

TeaSea
November 20th, 2012, 15:38
I will say this....I agree with RobM on the overall effect....loads much smoother and I do see a difference in the effects on my particular system.

That being said, my issue was that it seemed to me that FSX and REX were arguing about over what the weather actually was. I'm a "Real World" weather guy...I'll go with it whatever it happens to be. So, it was disconcerting to suddenly have it change on me in mid-flight--especially when I can double check using my Ipad and ForeFlight software (FSX is a great way to learn the ins and outs of ForeFlight by the way).

What I have done is made a concerted effort to load from REX and keep the FSX setting at user defined. My latest flight seem to have left me with the real weather picture all the way through....So, maybe that's the right way to run it. I just don't know.

RobM
November 20th, 2012, 18:59
If you haven't already done so, as per page 9 of the RexE+ manual, you should turn FSX's own weather settings off, eg, untick the download winds aloft data, tick the disable turbulence effects, and move the Rate at which Weather Changes slider all the way to the left for no change.

I also use the Rex Wind smoothing and Visibility smoothing options (on the Wind and Visibility pages respectively), and that seems to help the weather loading go a bit smoother as well.

As far as the textures themselves go, I don't think much if any any new textures have been added over Rex2 Extreme+OD. And the base textures in Rex2 Extreme and RexE+ (no OD) are identical. It's the weather engine downloading part that's been changed.

I am finding that using the OD seems to make Rex a little bit more kludgy in loading. So while there's a few textures I like in the OD, I might just go back to RexE+ only.

TeaSea
November 21st, 2012, 13:24
Thanks for reminding me RobM....I went back in and found I still had "Winds Aloft" ticked.

We'll see if that works.