PDA

View Full Version : OT - Home page issue

GypsyBaron
November 17th, 2012, 11:39
Up until yesterday or so, whenever I got to the forum home page the left side panel was in the state I left it...not visible.
The little arrow-thingie button opened or closed it.

Now that button has no effect and the side bar is always, annoyingly, open.

At the top of the screen I see this:

'); var sidebar_align = 'left'; var content_container_margin = parseInt('290px'); var sidebar_width = parseInt('270px'); //-->

So, what's happened? Anyone else have this issue. ?

Paul ( running a perfectly functional version of Firefox )

Dangerousdave26
November 17th, 2012, 12:34
Its working fine for me and there have not been any recent changes.

If the problem persists for you its time to do the Stupid Browser tricks.

Log off

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files (and I mean all just some doesn't seem to work from what we have found)

Reboot your router. Since we are resetting things it might help can not hurt.

Log back on.

Most of the time when we see problems its related to cookies and temporary internet files.

lefty
November 17th, 2012, 14:05
a perfectly functional version of Firefox

I think that is called an oxymoron.........

GypsyBaron
November 18th, 2012, 00:56
I think that is called an oxymoron.........

It is certainly far above IE in any of it's manifestations. I ripped IE out of my Xp Pro install and
disabled it in my Win7 Pro install. IE is just a virus waiting to be triggered, IMO!

Paul

lefty
November 18th, 2012, 01:56
I've been loyal to Firefox for years, but it is beginning to tire my patience. Every time you want to get something done, you have to clear the browsing history, cookies, etc, which means re-entering all your passwords, etc etc. A pain.
It has also become painfully slow - every other site now, I have to retry to get in. A change is coming, methinks. Chrome ??

Ickie
November 18th, 2012, 03:47
vbulletin (our software) and firefox, have had issues for years.

KellyB
November 18th, 2012, 03:49
I've been loyal to Firefox for years, but it is beginning to tire my patience. Every time you want to get something done, you have to clear the browsing history, cookies, etc, which means re-entering all your passwords, etc etc. A pain.
It has also become painfully slow - every other site now, I have to retry to get in. A change is coming, methinks. Chrome ??

Chrome? Depends on how much you want Google to know about you.

I have my firefox set to clear cookies, temp files and everything EXCEPT passwords. You just want to get rid of stuff and clutter left behind when you close Firefox, not things like passwords.

It's under Tools/Options/Security, and the "Settings" for Clear History, in case you weren't aware.

I've never had a problem getting into the forums with Firefox.

Hope this helps.

arfyhun
November 18th, 2012, 09:28
KellyB, I'm with you completely regarding Firefox. Had it for years without an ounce of trouble and with running XP can get to delete all the browsing rubbish easily. IE? Forget it. It hangs something chronic on my kit and hasn't Ghostery as Firefox has. I replied to a thread recently and wrote how many cookies were blocked by Ghostery just viewing a item of interest put up in a thread. I think the number was 22 or 23. Why do these 'people' want to load my PC up with their crap just by visiting their site? (I'm talking about news sites here).

Google Ads, Google something else, all kinds. They will be wanting to look up my backside next, just to look at how many teeth I have from the inside. Why?

IE just lets the junk rain down into the PC. No Thanks....

Graham.

arfyhun
November 18th, 2012, 10:45
Further to my previous reply.

Following the thread: 'Looks like HBO is thinking another miniseries' I ended up with the following trying to put cookies on my PC. Note especially 'Complex Media Network' and 'ZergNet', neither of which have a privacy policy, (as if the others follow theirs).. The ones which collect your telephone number and personally identifiable information just about explains their philosophy!

Please read the shyte they put out for their raison d'etre... Pur bull****-management speak.

ChartBeat; In Their Own Words-"Chartbeat provides real-time data analytics and performance alerts for your website."
Privacy Policy: http://chartbeat.com/privacy/

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Browser Information)
Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII))
Data Sharing: Anonymous data is shared with 3rd parties.
Data Retention: Undisclosed

ChartBeat was found on over 10000 sites. Here's a sample:

lifehacker.com
www.guardian.co.uk
www.cnn.com
9gag.com
www.foxnews.com

Complex Media Network; In Their Own Words-"COMPLEX MEDIA NETWORK is the premier online destination for the most influential 20-something male consumers. This discerning audience is driven by style, sports, music, games, gear and girls. The Complex Media Network reaches these style-makers and trend-spreaders through its uniquely credible and authentic viewpoint into all things Complex."
Privacy Policy: n/a

Data Collected: Undisclosed
Data Sharing: Undisclosed

Complex Media Network was found on over 600 sites. Here's a sample:

www.complex.com
www.gameranx.com
www.joblo.com
www.hiphopdx.com
shoryuken.com

Criteo; In Their Own Words-"Criteo's advanced technology enables online e-commerce sites to re-engage with potential customers who have left their website via dynamic banners containing the most relevant product specific recommendations that are generated in real-time for each individual."
Privacy Policy: http://www.criteo.com/us/privacy-policy

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Ad Views, Analytics, Browser Information, Demographic Data, Interaction Data, Page Views )
Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII), Search History)
Data Retention: 12-18 Months

Criteo was found on over 50000 sites. Here's a sample:

tabelog.com
www.dailymotion.com
kleinanzeigen.ebay.de
lifehacker.com
www.okcupid.com

Disqus; In Their Own Words-"Web comments can be difficult for both websites and their readers. Disqus makes it easier for people to comment and track their contributions on a single profile which they can display as a comment blog."
Privacy Policy: http://help.disqus.com/customer/portal/articles/466259-privacy-policy

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Browser Information, Date/Time, Demographic Data, Hardware/Software Type, Interaction Data, Page Views, Serving Domains)
Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII), Clickstream Data)
PII (PII Collected via 3rd Parties)

Disqus was found on over 70000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.avclub.com
newsfeed.time.com
www.geek.com
www.wired.com
www.cnn.com

DoubleClick: In Their Own Words-"Google's DoubleClick products provide ad management and ad serving solutions to companies that buy, create or sell online advertising."
Privacy Policy: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Ad Views, Browser Information, Date/Time, Demographic Data, Page Views, Serving Domains)
Data Sharing: Aggregate data is shared with 3rd parties.

DoubleClick was found on over 300000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.youtube.com
www.facebook.com
www.imdb.com
www.amazon.com
www.heise.de

Facebook Social Plugins; In Their Own Words-"Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. Millions of people use Facebook everyday to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet."
Privacy Policy: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
Data Collected:
Anonymous (Browser Information, Demographic Data, Interaction Data, Page Views)
Data Sharing: Data is shared with 3rd parties (specifics undisclosed).

Facebook Social Plugins was found on over 600000 sites. Here's a sample:

mangafox.me
www.mangahere.com
www.mangareader.net
www.spiegel.de
www.imdb.com

Google +1; In Their Own Words-"Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful."
Privacy Policy: http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/
Data Collected:
Anonymous (Analytics, Browser Information, Cookie Data, Date/Time, Demographic Data, Hardware/Software Type, Interaction Data, Page Views, Serving Domains)
Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII), Search History, Device ID (EU PII)) PII (Phone Number)

Google +1 was found on over 700000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.spiegel.de
www.huffingtonpost.com
9gag.com
coliss.com
www.dailymail.co.uk

Google Adsense; In Their Own Words-"Google AdSense is a free program that empowers online publishers to earn revenue by displaying relevant ads on a wide variety of online content, including site search results, websites, mobile webpages and apps."
Privacy Policy: http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ads/
Data Collected:
Anonymous (Analytics, Browser Information, Cookie Data, Date/Time, Demographic Data, Hardware/Software Type, Interaction Data, Page Views)
Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII), Search History, Device ID (EU PII))

Google Adsense was found on over 900000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.youtube.com
mangafox.me
imgur.com
www.mangahere.com
www.batoto.net

Google Analytics; In Their Own Words-"Google Analytics gives you insights into your website traffic and marketing effectiveness. We help you buy the right keywords, target your best markets, and engage and convert more customers."
Privacy Policy: http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html
Data Collected:
Anonymous (Date/Time, Demographic Data, Page Views)

Google Analytics was found on over 2000000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.reddit.com
imgur.com
twitter.com
www.mangareader.net
www.mangahere.com

Impact Radius: In Their Own Words-"Founded by a veteran team of performance-advertising experts, we have built an advertising platform that focuses on “your view” and enable your company with unique tools and services for reaching business goals faster."
Privacy Policy: http://www.impactradius.com/privacy-policy

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Cookie Data, Date/Time, Page Views)

mpact Radius was found on over 600 sites. Here's a sample:

www.shutterstock.com
www.511tactical.com
www.frozen-layer.com
www.redbox.com
www.skinit.com

Outbrain: In Their Own Words-"Outbrain is the leading content discovery platform that powers personalized recommendations to content at the bottom of article pages on most of the leading publisher websites online."
Privacy Policy: http://www.outbrain.com/legal/privacy

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Browser Information, Date/Time, Demographic Data, Hardware/Software Type, Interaction Data, Page Views, Serving Domains)
Data Sharing: Aggregate data is shared with 3rd parties.

Outbrain was found on over 8000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.guardian.co.uk
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com
www.washingtonpost.com
www.gocomics.com

Quantcast: In Their Own Words-"Quantcast measures and organizes the world's audiences in real-time so advertisers can buy, sell and connect with the people who matter most to them. Used by the top 10 media agencies, the world's largest brands and more than half of the top advertising supported publishers, Quantcast connects the planning, buying, and media fulfillment processes, delivering the marketplace's most consistent and accountable audiences."
Privacy Policy: http://www.quantcast.com/docs/display/legal/Privacy+Policy

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Browser Information, Date/Time, Page Views)
Pseudonymous (Search History)
Data Sharing: Aggregate data is shared with 3rd parties., Anonymous data is shared with 3rd parties.
Data Retention: 12-18 Months

Quantcast was found on over 400000 sites. Here's a sample:

imgur.com
www.tumblr.com
www.linkedin.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
boards.4chan.org

ScoreCard Research Beacon; In Their Own Words-"Full Circle Studies is a leader in the Internet market research industry. Companies across a wide variety of industries turn to Full Circle Studies to conduct research to better understand the likes and dislikes of consumers. The reports that are compiled from these projects help these companies to improve their products and services."
Privacy Policy: http://www.fullcirclestudies.com/privacy.aspx

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Details Undisclosed)
Data Retention: 3-6 Months

ScoreCard Research Beacon was found on over 300000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.flickr.com
www.linkedin.com
www.mangahere.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
vk.com

Twitter Button; In Their Own Words-"Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest information about what you find interesting...At the heart of Twitter are small bursts of information called Tweets. Each Tweet is 140 characters in length."
Privacy Policy: http://twitter.com/privacy

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Browser Information, Cookie Data, Date/Time, Demographic Data, Hardware/Software Type, Internet Service Provider, Interaction Data, Page Views)
Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII), Search History, Device ID (EU PII))
Data Sharing: Aggregate data is shared with 3rd parties., Anonymous data is shared with 3rd parties.
Data Retention: 18-24 Months

Twitter Button was found on over 500000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.spiegel.de
www.imdb.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
9gag.com
news.yahoo.com

VigLink: In Their Own Words-"Get paid by the sites you link. VigLink lets you supplement your site's advertising revenue."
Privacy Policy: http://www.viglink.com/policies/privacy

Data Collected:
Anonymous (Analytics, Browser Information, Interaction Data, Serving Domains)
PII (Personally Identifiable Information (details undisclosed))

VigLink was found on over 10000 sites. Here's a sample:

www.huffingtonpost.com
www.furaffinity.net
www.tomshardware.com
forum.xda-developers.com
www.escapistmagazine.com

ZergNet: In Their Own Words-"The idea behind ZergNet is simple. Websites place article links from other network members on their sites to cross-promote their best content. Websites typically receive significantly more visitors to their site than they send to the network, as their content is displayed across the entire network and ZergNet.com."
Privacy Policy: n/a
Data Collected: Undisclosed

ZergNet was found on over 400 sites. Here's a sample:

www.chacha.com
www.geeksaresexy.net
screenrant.com
www.slashfilm.com
www.cheatcc.com

Leave it to you boys and girls... Something smells bad...

Graham.