PDA

View Full Version : Major change ahead for OBIO household!

OBIO
November 13th, 2012, 21:55
Monday night at work, the plant manager, the safety director and another fella I do not know (but know that he is one of the upper honcho type as he was wearing dress pants and loafers) came into our department and announced that as of Thursday, second shift will be shut down. All of us 2nd shifters will be moved to first shift and integrated there. Not a huge shift of personnel as there are only 15 of us on second shift in our department (which is the ONLY department that has a second shift).

What does this mean for me and the Mrs. and the dogs?

I will begin having 2 days off a week instead of 1. I will work 6 days, then off two, then on 6 days, then off two....days off rotate that way so that everyone gets a week end time off.

The 50 cent an hour pay raise I posted about in another thread....well, it's not going to be 50 cents.....it is....but it isn't. First shift base pay is $7.95 an hour. Second shifters got a 25 cent shift differential bonus, taking us up to $8.20. Going to first shift....I lose 25 cents an hour. So, the 50 cent an hour raise will bring me to $8.45 instead of $8.70 an hour. I will end up making 25 cents an hour less than I was looking at making...but still will be making $8.45 more per hour than if they had come in and said "Second shift is done, clock out, you are all fired." How's that for looking at the bright side?

The senior first shift supervisor in our department is a small man with a Small Man Complex....I do not play well with men like that. I will do my best NOT to burst his bubble when he does his "I'm In Charge" screaming that he likes to do.

Getting up at 5:00 AM to get ready for work and the 1/2 hour or longer drive to work is going to SUCK! But it sure beats waking up and having no job to go to any longer.

Maybe I will have a bit more free time for some simming.

And I will get to see family members more often.

Tim

Oh...forgot...I will have more time to play fetch with the doggies.

TARPSBird
November 13th, 2012, 23:09
At least your workplace shuffle didn't involve anybody getting laid off. I'm afraid a whole lotta other people won't be as fortunate in the months to come.

Naismith
November 13th, 2012, 23:32
At least your workplace shuffle didn't involve anybody getting laid off. I'm afraid a whole lotta other people won't be as fortunate in the months to come, thanks to last week's presidential election.
Oi no politics! :ernae:

So good and bad there Obio.

stansdds
November 14th, 2012, 02:04
Yeah, no lay-off and no 29 hour work week schedules... yet. Best of luck to you, Obio.

Jagdflieger
November 14th, 2012, 07:25
Best of luck with the new hours Obio. I'm sure that you'll enjoy having evenings off for a change. That extra day off (two in a row, imagine that) wont hurt either other than the loss of pay.

When it comes to the little guy; just remember, semper gumby!

OBIO
November 14th, 2012, 07:48
The good thing about the work I do...packing produce for super markets and restaurants....is that I don't have to worry too much about getting laid off or getting really short hours. No matter what the overall economy is like....people still buy food and still order pizza and go to fast food joints. Even with this being our slow season, I am still getting 40 hours each week (next week's check is going to be short due to having Saturday off).....and we are heading into a busy time with the holidays. It will slow down again from mid-January up through the end of February. Then come March things ramp up like crazy. Spring and early summer I will be clocking upwards of 60, maybe 70 hours per week. When late Summer and early Fall hit....and people can go to Farmer's Markets and Truck Farms to buy fresh fruit and veggies cheaper than in the stores....things will slow down again. This company has been running since 1986 and has never laid anyone off.

Tim

OBIO
November 16th, 2012, 13:38
Well, things won't be so bad pay wise as I first thought. The 25 cent an hour merit raise that the 2nd shift supervisors put me in for WILL carry over to 1st shift with me....so I will be making $8.45 an hour. Still not the $8.70 an hour on this paycheck and next week's check....but still better than $7.95 an hour.

And I had a nice surprise when I got my pay stubs last night at the end of my last shift on 2nd....I got a $100 bonus. I took me a bit to figure out why I got the bonus.....When I started as a temp back in April, another fella started the same day (through the same temp service). He left for a couple weeks for a job at a nursing home...but came back to the plant after he found out being a maintenance worker at the nursing home was back breaking job (and emotionally exhausting as all the old folks would call out for him to help them...and there was nothing that he could do to help them). When he came back and put in his application through the company, he put me down as the person who referred him for the job. Because he simply wrote my name on the Referred By line, after he completed 90 days on the job....we both got $100 bonuses. Thanks Jerry! That bonus paid for one new tire on my car and 3 new movies (2 DVD and 1 Blue Ray).

Tim