PDA

View Full Version : Create a bump map using ModelConverterX?

OleBoy
November 13th, 2012, 04:28
I've mainly used ModelConverterX as my "viewer" while doing repaints. I read here on the forum (I don't recall the name of the thread) that the bump map process can be done in ModelConverterX. Is a tutorial that explains all the steps-to-end-results?

roger-wilco-66
November 13th, 2012, 05:53
PM sent!

shaggy
November 13th, 2012, 07:30
I would also like to know !

DagR
November 13th, 2012, 07:44
Me too :-)

Best
DagR

PutPut
November 13th, 2012, 08:01
Me Three!!!!:pop4:

Paul

DagR
November 13th, 2012, 08:54
Some stuff here:

https://msmvps.com/blogs/arnogerretsen/archive/2010/06/13/normal-maps-for-fsx.aspx

But you still need to use a plugin to PS, Gimp or the like to get from height map to normal map. What the texture converter does is to make it FS compatible "RedInAlpha" type. Saves typing that CMD command in the DOS window. That ModelConverterX is truly a great program, thanks to Arno for that :-)

Best
Dag

scott967b
November 13th, 2012, 16:30
Note in GIMP "bump map" plugin applies a bump map, what you want is "normalmap" plugin to create one from image.

scott s.

OleBoy
November 13th, 2012, 16:46
I'm in process of experimenting with nVidia tools. Normal/bump maps. I managed to run one through and it displayed as intended, just WAY too bumped! It's a start. Knowledge is key. And more experiments. :isadizzy:

DagR
November 14th, 2012, 00:09
I have been experimenting a bit too with ModelConverterX' texture converter. Below are my normal settings for creating a normal map using PS and the NVIDIA normal map filter:

Brighter parts of the height map (grayscale master) should display elevated in the RGB channels of an FSX converted flipped dds normal map. It does not. Brighter parts gets recessed. Alpha channel displays correctly, recessed when flipped. I tried setting the Scale setting to '-1' and this resulted in the RGB displaying correctly and the Alpha being incorrect.
What are the NVIDIA Normal Map Filter settings for getting Arno's great gadget to work?

Best
Dag

DagR
November 14th, 2012, 00:48
Found the solution and also downloaded the latest plugins from NVIDIA. Older plugins work too. See screenie:

Check "Invert Y"

Best
Dag

OleBoy
November 17th, 2012, 11:51
After quite a bit of fiddling with MCX, I gave up. The end results were not of my likings. I built them through Photoshop CS3. :mixedsmi: