PDA

View Full Version : HMS Bounty

Milton Shupe
November 12th, 2012, 19:51
As a filler project, I am working on the HMS Bounty as something new and different. Not a straight piece of lumber on this ship so every part is "hand-made". It will take a while.

Tako_Kichi
November 13th, 2012, 07:02
That's a nice start Milton, good luck with the project.

It's a pity we recently lost the real one due to a combination of circumstances coming together at one time.

aeronca1
November 13th, 2012, 07:51
Make sure you don't miss that hidden rivet on the poop deck. :icon_lol: Wouldn't want a bunch of idiots ragging on your work!!

norab
November 13th, 2012, 08:33
Hi Milton, great choice, I was on that vessel many years ago. please be aware that the Bounty that just sank was made for the movies and was 34 feet longer at the waterline than the original ship and was wider through the beam. Thses changes were made to better accomodate filming on board.

Milton Shupe
November 13th, 2012, 08:42
Hi Milton, great choice, I was on that vessel many years ago. please be aware that the Bounty that just sank was made for the movies and was 34 feet longer at the waterline than the original ship and was wider through the beam. Thses changes were made to better accomodate filming on board.

Thank you norab. I am aware of that, the history, and the history of the Bounty made for the "Mutiny on the Bounty" movie.

I am modeling it to the the movie Bounty specs.

I watched the "Mutiny on the Bounty" movie and "The Bounty" to get a closer review of the ship and its history.

I look forward to interesting challenges in animations, effects, navigation, and wind response.

PSULLYKEYS
November 13th, 2012, 10:14
Looks like a great project. Good Luck!:salute:

Sad that a seasoned mariner would have that vessel in harms way with the technology available today. Loss of respect of the power of nature's forces is lunacy.

Tako_Kichi
November 13th, 2012, 12:31
Sad that a seasoned mariner would have that vessel in harms way with the technology available today. Loss of respect of the power of nature's forces is lunacy.
It was a combination of factors that sent her to the bottom, the weather was just one thing among many.

Her final demise was because she lost her pumps and thus was unable to pump out the water she was taking on board due to the seas/storm.

If the pumps had continued running she could have probably ridden out the storm as that was the original plan, she was always in touch with the authorities and trying to sail around the storm.

If the pumps had failed under normal sea conditions she would have probably still survived as help could have gone out to her or the crew could have instigated manual water removal methods (bucket lines for example).

It was the combination of pump failure and the high swells that sent her to the bottom not just the storm.

Milton Shupe
November 27th, 2012, 19:15
Today I invested a lot of time in the masts, spars, tops, trees and standing rigging. I should get all that rigging done by Friday. Then on to the yards and running rigging which will take some time. I'll mix in the deck components along the way.

I still have the middle and upper parts to do for the side standing rigging.

She is starting to shape up Mates! :-)

Ready for a "Round-the-World" fishin' trip. :-)

I have pretty much figured out how to do the flight model now to get her to sail, and act appropriately in the water, lift and drop sails in stages, list, and yaw, and pitch. Top speed around 10 knots depending on wind. Should be able to average 6,000 NM per month. Got that GPS handy?

LOL Right now I have her running on 4 - 48 cylinder radials to get her 500 tons through the water. :-) She's a bit "Hot" right now. :-)

crashaz
November 28th, 2012, 18:13
Nice work as always Milton!!! :applause:

Milton Shupe
November 28th, 2012, 18:30
Thanks; having too much fun with this one.

Just about have the standing rigging completed, a few on the bowsprit and a few on the stern should complete it.

EDIT: Adding wireframe screenshot

Milton Shupe
December 1st, 2012, 19:21
Here are a couple of FSX renders

woodylepic
December 2nd, 2012, 07:42
Very Cool picture Milton, Thats a Big work in view !

Also thank Milton for your help for my first 3d modeling projet in 2007 "Levasseur PL8 of Nungesser and Coli" you have helped me a lot on this project Milt you are my menthor !.:salute:

I know how the work to do 3d models

I'm working right now on this new project
http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1354454516.jpg
http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1354469763.jpg
http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1354449589.jpg
http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1354436632.jpg
http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1354435013.jpg

Milton I have some trouble whit my mesh here the problem,

When I convert my poly to mesh I got some strange edge near all windows :-[
I have posted the probleme here
http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?num=1354462925

http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1354534343.jpg

http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1354558733.jpg

Milt if you have any clue please help me. Thank again for your help Bye !

Milton Shupe
December 2nd, 2012, 08:41
Thank you for your kind words. Your project is very impressive.

I am attaching screen pictures to help you understand the issue and explain how to fix and avoid the problems while improving the overall project.

I hope this helps.

woodylepic
December 8th, 2012, 05:53
There no possibility to delette the invisible edge ?

I think your wright Milton

Making the alpha will be the best think to do for this in Gmax,

Thank you so musch for yor explanation :mixedsmi: again you save me some work :sheep:

By the way Do you have finisch your Bounty ?

Milton Shupe
December 8th, 2012, 06:28
There no possibility to delette the invisible edge ?

I think your wright Milton

Making the alpha will be the best think to do for this in Gmax,

Thank you so musch for yor explanation :mixedsmi: again you save me some work :sheep:

By the way Do you have finisch your Bounty ?

Woody,

No you cannot delete the invisible edges as they represent the face edges that are used to construct the polys (2 or more faces).
I usually keep edges off unless I need to see them to better understand a shading or shadow issue.

In the case of the example above, you can see how you might delete and rebuild polys to allow for better smoothing.

No, the HMS Bounty will be a 6-8 month project and I am only getting started there. :-)

Have fun :-)

woodylepic
December 8th, 2012, 15:17
Woody,No you cannot delete the invisible edges as they represent the face edges that are used to construct the polys (2 or more faces).I usually keep edges off unless I need to see them to better understand a shading or shadow issue.In the case of the example above, you can see how you might delete and rebuild polys to allow for better smoothing.No, the HMS Bounty will be a 6-8 month project and I am only getting started there. :-)Have fun :-)Probleme solved whit an alpha aply on the texture, and a 2048 400 dpi texure all the hull look very smoot and night texture pass through the windows Thank again Mery Christmass and Happy new years. !

Milton Shupe
September 14th, 2014, 11:21
Finally back on the HMS Bounty as a filler project.

Reposting some original screens here (wire frame and fog) as the old ones are gone, and a current one with sails.

Just adding sails has been a task with sizing, shaping, billowing, and rotating but its a start.

Now to add the running rigging.

zswobbie1
September 19th, 2014, 02:17
Stunning stuff, Milton. Thanks for all you have done to make our hobby so fascinating.
Just an idea/thought... I have been looking at the 'Steampunk' styling. It would be fun to have that kind of styling with some addons?

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2014, 05:15
thanks zswobbie; yes that would indeed be an interesting challenge.

Been working on the stern end, the Captain's quarters rear deco and windows.
A little more do to before moving on deck.

Milton Shupe
October 1st, 2014, 19:53
On deck now, working the back end ... flag shack, tiller house and tiller, deck grates, steering, chocks, capstan, binnacle, pin rails and brace bits.

Milton Shupe
October 2nd, 2014, 19:55
Finished the back end and now up front on the windlass.

Making decent progress; starting to get busy on deck. :-)

A few more things to add up front (bellfry, stove pipe, pawn bit posts, floor grates, stairs, etc) and then the life boats.

Milton Shupe
October 3rd, 2014, 19:35
Now have all the major parts done on the top deck and a nice VC to test from. Feels really nice in the water at the helm. :-)

Milton Shupe
October 5th, 2014, 19:35
Adding more details; getting "ship-shape" :-)

zswobbie1
October 6th, 2014, 23:01
Great stuff, Milton. I'm looking forward to adding this to my fleet. Lol, I cannot help thinking, a pirate or haunted version could be fun for multiplay?