PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun Simulations competition...try it!

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2009, 05:17
Ahoy shipmates,

Those who enjoy carrier ops in FSX should really try this site out: http://www.topgunsim.com/tgssite/SiteHomePage.aspx

The first competition ended a couple days ago. I think I ended up placing 30th, but there was a LOT of people from all parts of the world competing, so I felt pretty good about that. No matter how you place, you still get a patch for trying. And I am getting better at it. Maintaining constant altitude/speed/course is not easy for me, as I am used to just flying around, not really following correct procedures. For me, trapping on the carrier deck is not hard, but doing it the right way IS! The vast majority of my passes ended in a "One Wire", but at least I didn't hit the ramp, or (rounddown).

Top Gun Simulations will be releasing a couple FREE missions soon that have you flying with Capt. "Snort" Snodgrass (AI aircraft) from KNTU NAS Oceana to the carrier and back!

Really do give this a try folks. The second competition just started two days ago, and lasts for another 10. Joining doesn't cost anything, and they give you three free missions. If you decide to keep on, the price is not exorbitant at all.

When I initially visited this site, I balked at paying for play. But I have to admit, I was wrong. This is a great deal, considering the amount of fun!!!

Go NAVAIR!

Navy Chief

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 05:27
I don't mind paying to play - I just know I'm not good enough! :icon_lol:

I may well sign up and at least have a go, once I've got this current review out the way.

Ian P.

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2009, 06:34
Ian,

If you can just aim for those carrier deck cables, you'll catch one. I can do that easy enough, but not to the level of winning anything. The guys that finished in the top 10 are in a different league than I am. I know that at least one of them; possibly two, are in the Virtual Blue Angels....

NC

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 06:37
Like you, I'm an expert at catching the 1 wire (although actually, the last time I did the CarQuals mission on Accel, I caught every wire at one point!) - my problem is stability on approach. I wouldn't even try to win, I wouldn't be able to accept the prize even if I did, but I'd really like a more realistic environment to practice in.

Ian P.

Marlin
January 4th, 2009, 07:35
So was the grand prize of the jet ride given away yet?

How cool would that be:applause::greenbo:

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2009, 07:37
That's why I look forward to the new free missions from them!!!

Pete

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2009, 07:37
So was the grand prize of the jet ride given away yet?

How cool would that be:applause::greenbo:
I don't believe so. This time around, it was a $750 watch.....

Pete

Mr.Mugel
January 4th, 2009, 08:10
But you need Acceleration for it, or donīt you?

Boomer
January 4th, 2009, 12:41
Im not sure if I want to try this or not... I fancy myself a pretty slick sim aviator & I dont know if the ole ego could handle finding out I am not as good as I think I am :costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2009, 13:58
But you need Acceleration for it, or donīt you?

This is from their website:

http://www.topgunsim.com/tgssite/SystemSpecs.aspx

1. OS:
a. Windows XP SP1 - 1GB will run the product. We recommend at least 2GB for XP.
b. Windows Vista – Again, 1GB will run the product. However, we recommend at least 4GB for Vista.

2. Processor:
a. 2.0GHz or higher single-core runs the product. However, a dual-core or quad-core will increase the experience immensely.

3. Hard Drive:
a. 20GB (for both FSX & Xpack)

4. Video Card:
a. DirectX 9 compliant card or greater. 128MB video RAM or higher. Shader model 1.1 or higher.

FSX will truly take all you can throw at it. The higher the video card and processor power the better.

There is naturally a cost to be weighed when performance is your driver. And that is why we've done everything we can to make our software service offering at TopgunSim.com as value rich as possible. And given what you get, there is no debate about that.

5. Software Required: FSX:Acceleration, TGSexe Setup, TGS Day Traps, TGS Mission Pack.

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2009, 14:03
Im not sure if I want to try this or not... I fancy myself a pretty slick sim aviator & I dont know if the ole ego could handle finding out I am not as good as I think I am :costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

Boomer, I was somewhat apprehensive myself. However, the program you download from them has a "practice" option, which allows you to do approach, after approach; which I did quite a few of. The competition mission is, I believe, identical to what is already in FSX Acceleration, except they added some custom voice to it.

Pete