PDA

View Full Version : P-61 Update 11/9/12

N2056
November 9th, 2012, 21:47
This week I have been working on the BC-434A controller that works with the AN/ARN-7 radio. From what I have learned this works as a homing beacon.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/N2056/P-61/2012-11-9_21-55-39-76.jpg

I still need to make the gauge that is driven by this bit-o-radio. I also need to figure out if I can actually bring all of this to life, which brings up something I have begun to work on that will most likely affect the outcome of the project. As I try to figure out the details of assorted items in the cockpit (and elsewhere) I am finding that the "research time to part creation" ratio is really going south.

The Mid Atlantic Air Museum has been my primary source of information to date. Recently the individual that was creating their FS models decided that he was done. As far as I know currently they have no modeler, which means that nobody in the MAAM organization is/will be working on a P-61.

I know that they have a huge amount of reference material on hand that is not on the internet. If that was available to me I could get this project done a lot faster, but it would probably also mean that it would become something that would be a fund raiser for the MAAM vice SOH. I have been in contact with Michael Davies (the creator of the original mesh) and he is good with me working with the MAAM on this project. Given the fact that to date I have been working this as an SOH project I am obviously struggling as to what path I should take.

At this point I am soliciting input. I have not yet contacted the MAAM. If this became a fund raiser for the real P-61 would you guys be okay with it?

Kiwikat
November 9th, 2012, 22:02
At this point I am soliciting input. I have not yet contacted the MAAM. If this became a fund raiser for the real P-61 would you guys be okay with it?

Absolutely! I was actually hoping it would be some form of donationware, whether it went to SOH or MAAM or whoever. :salute:

fliger747
November 9th, 2012, 22:12
Low a gizillion years ago when M. Davies did the original exterior mesh and I did the flight dynamics this WAS supposed to be a donation ware fundraiser....

I remember using manual loop radios for direction finding, turn the loop and find the null...

T

Bomber_12th
November 9th, 2012, 22:35
I love the updates, Robert! I was collecting photos of a similar unit/radio set myself just yesterday (the MN-26), but having been familiar with finding photos of the ARN-7 set and control box as well (which share many of the same parts), I can say it definitely looks the part!

Speaking of radios, it must be the first time I've ever seen a single aircraft with two sets of SCR-522 control boxes! I guess it's a night-fighter thing. : )

Sundog
November 9th, 2012, 22:43
I'm good with however you wish to pursue the project. Whatever becomes the simplest way for you to complete it is fine by me. After all, you're the one doing all of that work. Looks great BTW. :)

OleBoy
November 10th, 2012, 08:33
Any form the P-61 makes it's way to us here in the simulator I support. Keep on doing what your doing. The more you show, the better she looks!

falcon409
November 10th, 2012, 09:14
I agree with what has already been stated...however this beauty is able to make it to the runway works for me. You're doing a beautiful job of modeling Robert as always.:salute:

crashaz
November 10th, 2012, 20:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-f2x8T7d8&feature=relmfu