PDA

View Full Version : CO fired after drunken port visit?

PRB
November 8th, 2012, 15:09
So it would appear:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/11/04/cmdr-fired-after-boozy-port-visit.html

Good thing they didn't do this when I was in or the ship would have had nobody left on board after one port visit. Imagine how fast we could have won WW-II if they had been as forward thinking as today's navy... It's possible there's more to the story then what's revealed in the short news story, but dang...

- Paul

ColoKent
November 8th, 2012, 21:51
....Although I'm not a submariner (though I was a "Prairie Submariner" 1983-87-- a former ICBM crew member), a great website to visit for this kind of stuff (even though it was an FFG) is a blog called (appropriately enough for all who have served in the military) "The Stupid Shall Be Punished"...

This case is discussed.....among others.

Kent

TARPSBird
November 9th, 2012, 00:23
Notice the article said the incident involved the CO and his wardroom, that is, the officers. No mention made of any involvement by the crew. So many commanding officers being canned, embarrassing for the Navy and it indicates to me something is wrong.

stansdds
November 9th, 2012, 02:09
Stress and job dissatisfaction can drive a man to drinking.

catfishdriver
November 9th, 2012, 07:07
Another one bites the dust. For those that may not be aware of my meaning, may I suggest you Google "Relieved Naval officers over the past few years", or something to that effect. The line is long and distinguished.

magoo
November 9th, 2012, 07:38
Ahhh......Vladivostok.

One sits down to a meal at a restaurant. Among the place settings, there is the basic tall class of water.

No notice is made.

The meal arrives. Friendly conversation, excellent food. Looking around, not so much wine is ordered with meals, everyone drinking the water with gusto. You carry on.

At one point you reach for a swig of your water, a big gulp, it blows out your nose like fire.

A waitress/waiter is right there to top up the glass. It's vodka. This goes on all night.

You leave with the vague rememberance that there was a meal, but you can't remember what it was. Cobblestone streets are made of rubber, and the name Natasha keep coming back to you for no particular reason.

You can't remember how you got back to your hotel room, and you oversleep your loud, bleeping alarm by four hours. A knock on the door, it's room service, with a small tray holding a glass of water.

Good morning, welcome to Vladivostok.

rayrey10
November 10th, 2012, 03:32
I wanna go to Vladivostok! LoL!

stansdds
November 10th, 2012, 05:43
Ahhh......Vladivostok.

One sits down to a meal at a restaurant. Among the place settings, there is the basic tall class of water.

No notice is made.

The meal arrives. Friendly conversation, excellent food. Looking around, not so much wine is ordered with meals, everyone drinking the water with gusto. You carry on.

At one point you reach for a swig of your water, a big gulp, it blows out your nose like fire.

A waitress/waiter is right there to top up the glass. It's vodka. This goes on all night.

You leave with the vague rememberance that there was a meal, but you can't remember what it was. Cobblestone streets are made of rubber, and the name Natasha keep coming back to you for no particular reason.

You can't remember how you got back to your hotel room, and you oversleep your loud, bleeping alarm by four hours. A knock on the door, it's room service, with a small tray holding a glass of water.

Good morning, welcome to Vladivostok.

It's probably best that you don't fully remember Natasha...