PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Unlimited Internet service

Willy
November 7th, 2012, 16:22
Anyone have any experience with them? We're thinking about kicking Time Warner Cable to the curb.

brad kaste
November 7th, 2012, 16:49
I'm not too sure what 'unlimited internet service' is. I do have their U-verse internet service. I've never, ever had an issue with AT&T internet service. I've been with them now for five years or so.

yank51
November 7th, 2012, 17:05
I recently switched to AT&T WiFi service, but it is not unlimited. I'm paying $50/month for 5GB data, with the option of addind additional 1GB segments, for an additional $10.00 per. I had been using Hughes (satellite), but the WiFi is much faster, and has minimal lag time. hughes was about 1 second, while the WiFi is more like 60-80 ms. The little "hotspot" device is about the size of a partial deck of cards, or thereabouts. The battery only lasts so long, but you can plug it in to the charger and stay on line. On my first month, and except for a few internet glitches (the net seems a bit froggy at times now) it is working well. Just before I dropped hughes, they were giving me many "DNS look up errors". Neither U-verse, nor DSL are available for me as of yet, even though there is fiber optic about 1/2 mile away (put in to fee the AT&T cell tower, and several others up and down the highway...

Trans_23
November 7th, 2012, 17:28
It's like having a dial-up modem compared to cable. Videos don't stream very well or not at all some nights. For normal internet browsing it is alright. Others will see you choppy on online flights. It is a lot cheaper though.

Willy
November 7th, 2012, 17:40
The problem I'm having with cable is that it's gotten to be fairly unreliable. It's been going out 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of hours or longer at a whack for a couple of months now. Time Warner is good with excuses, but not about finding a permanent fix to the problem. They bought out the local cable co a few months back and the service is going down the tubes.

ETA: I had AT&T DSL service several years ago, but no recent experience with it.

yank51
November 7th, 2012, 19:15
I just think, with all the things accessing the internet now, that it gets overloaded is all. You can only get a finite number of things on line before it starts to degrade. Not only computers, but cellphones, kindles, Ipads, etc. Every kid in existence now seems to have a cell, most are smartphones with data plans. Makes me think back to the days when I had free access to the net, via our regional library system computer network. It was dial-up, but not busy at all....

Lionheart
November 8th, 2012, 20:39
I dont think I would trust ATT. I am with them with my phone and iPad and its overly expensive and they have tried to take my 'unlimited' service many times. The CEO said last year; 'the biggest mistake I have ever made was 'unlimited' data. Yet, others like Verizon have it and no issues.... ?

I think ATT just cant handle volume. Others can.

ATT wouldnt let Apple iPhone users use the new 'hot spot' (tether) system in America, but other companies were, for years. Maybe its greed...

Bill

Kiwikat
November 8th, 2012, 21:04
Our AT&T DSL was never very remarkable. Roadrunner has been much better. :mixedsmi: