PDA

View Full Version : HU - ORBX's England Scenery moves closer

Stan V.
November 5th, 2012, 19:30
Although I have no inside knowledge about schedule, be advised, if you haven't already seen it, that ORBX recently posted an info panel on their website advertising scenes from this highly anticipated scenery. This usually indicates they are within a few weeks of a release. I'm really looking forward to this one!

skyhawka4m
November 5th, 2012, 19:54
Yep...saw it yesterday as a coming soon on their home page. an instant buy for me. :jump:

Whitehawk
November 5th, 2012, 22:14
Yup not long now hopefully! Really looking forward to this one!!

YoYo
November 5th, 2012, 22:41
The new sub website is prepared for sales a product: http://fullterrain.com/product_eueng.html

Roger
November 5th, 2012, 22:51
I've hardly flown in England since the advent of ORBX, so it'll be nice to go home:engel016: Some of my favorite UK flying was Snowdonia so I'm looking forward to Wales as well.

dhasdell
November 5th, 2012, 23:27
"After years of waiting, the most anticipated region release from Orbx is here." That sounds pretty close.

jetstreamsky
November 6th, 2012, 00:39
Lovely jubbly

YoYo
November 6th, 2012, 03:28
This Region is a little flat but looks awsome on screenies. Just pity than we will have all Islands in two parts.

jocko417
November 6th, 2012, 06:38
Looks lovely! Now is it just me, or does it look like a couple of airports have different versions, with different levels of building/tear down as the land is developed perhaps?

skyhawka4m
November 6th, 2012, 07:11
Is "the loop" part of this scenery? Would to do the low routes they use.

Bomber_12th
November 6th, 2012, 07:18
Looks lovely! Now is it just me, or does it look like a couple of airports have different versions, with different levels of building/tear down as the land is developed perhaps?

As you will see in those screenshots, there are titles in the images that mention what you're seeing. For the airports, they show three different screenshots for each - the first screenshot in the series will show the airport as it comes with the ORBX/FTX scenery, while the other two show the same airport but from the UK2000 product range of UK airport sceneries, both with the base photoreal image in-place or removed (this is an option within the UK2000 airport sceneries).
For those like me that own much of the UK2000 airports, it certainly is nice to see how they will integrate with the ORBX scenery.

GaryGB
November 6th, 2012, 08:10
Hmmm.... I could have sworn I saw this on the news (or maybe it was just a bad dream :ques: ).

NEWS FLASH ! :icon_eek:

Pig flies again over London power plant refurbished to meet increased demand of CPU's overburdened by rendering extra vertices in FSX. :isadizzy:

England, by OrbX announces that the new product will include "the famous FTX night lighting with 3D light poles". :pop4:

IMHO, they should lose the "3D light poles" before RTM. ! :iidea:

Oh, and a further increase of autogen tree density, with more "jitter" for tree size and positioning in tree-lines would be preferable as well. ;)

But otherwise, the screenies look rather nice overall. :cool:

http://fullterrain.com/product_eueng.html

PS: Oops, apparently I got the above "FLYING PIG" news announcement mixed up ...with this one: :icon_lol:

http://www.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/Pig-flies-over-London-in-Pink-Floyd-album-tribute-2189869.php

GaryGB

trevytt2004
November 6th, 2012, 08:19
Is "the loop" part of this scenery? Would to do the low routes they use.

When they get round to releasing Wales, yes, I'm sure the loop and cadwest will be very visible....This release is just the England part, Wales and Scotland are to be released as separate regions.

olderndirt
November 6th, 2012, 08:31
When they get round to releasing Wales, yes, I'm sure the loop and cadwest will be very visible....This release is just the England part, Wales and Scotland are to be released as separate regions.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

sketchy
November 6th, 2012, 17:42
and did those feet, in ancient times, walk upon........

AndyE1976
November 7th, 2012, 05:10
I'll definitely give this a shot and it does look good, but I've got used to flying with photoscenery and hunting down places I used to live or visit as a kid. Nothing like circling my parents house in a Spitfire!

I think that where ORBX scenery has been great for me is in the places that I don't know, so I have no real reference point. It looks like England will be great if you want a good performing representation of England and what it's like to fly over, but I have a feeling that if you're looking for a specific village or building that you might be disapointed - and that's fine, it's not what the product is trying to provide.

Will buy this on release regardless though

MudMarine
November 7th, 2012, 07:46
This is a must buy! Still, some day, I'm hoping for ORBX's North America East Coast.

Reddog
November 7th, 2012, 09:18
This is a must buy! Still, some day, I'm hoping for ORBX's North America East Coast.
Yes that would be nice but really wish they would finish the PNW before proceding to other places.

MudMarine
November 7th, 2012, 09:55
Yes that would be nice but really wish they would finish the PNW before proceding to other places.

I have most of the PNW and Rockies but I just don't fly there very often........some times I wonder if I wasted my money? Guess not.

T6flyer
November 8th, 2012, 01:54
I'll definitely give this a shot and it does look good, but I've got used to flying with photoscenery and hunting down places I used to live or visit as a kid. Nothing like circling my parents house in a Spitfire!

I think that where ORBX scenery has been great for me is in the places that I don't know, so I have no real reference point. It looks like England will be great if you want a good performing representation of England and what it's like to fly over, but I have a feeling that if you're looking for a specific village or building that you might be disapointed - and that's fine, it's not what the product is trying to provide.

Will buy this on release regardless though

My thoughts entirely....couldn't have put it better myself. I do a lot of real life VFR flying all over the South West of England and sometimes beyond and use the photographic scenery a lot for practising routes or looking for places have been to or know well. I'm all for the Orbx scenery, but think as Andy says will use it to explore the parts of England that I don't know well.

Martin

alehead
November 8th, 2012, 02:06
As an ex-pat Brit living in Germany, I am looking forward to OrbX' rendition of Blighty. I have never been a follower or advocate of photoscenery, as the colours and lack of seasons annoys me, as well as the often rather flat appearance.

I have nearly all of the OrbX terrain packs, I think I am currently missing NZNI. I like the plausible world effect in general along with the use of photoreal texturing for specific locations at their addon airports. It works for me.

I hope that the UK2000 extreme airports blend in okay, it doesn't need to be a perfect texture match (although that would be nice), as long as the terrain matches up okay, I will be happy, as I "fly" into the UK a lot in something like the PMDG NGX...

A

huub vink
November 8th, 2012, 02:51
It looks great so far, but I really hope the White Cliffs of Dover will be white....

PrivateCustard
November 8th, 2012, 08:36
It looks great so far, but I really hope the White Cliffs of Dover will be white....

That's what I'm really looking for too.

It might seem like the smallest detail, but I've already mixed the sounds in Sony Vegas and storyboarded my promo video in my mind......the cliffs being white is quite an important thing in my big plan!

I hope it's released in the coming week too, otherwise I'll never get it done before I leave for NZ for a month!

Dave Torkington
November 8th, 2012, 08:54
The last UK Addon I had of this scale was VFR Scenery by Just Flight for FS9 [still got the discs!], so I'm pretty excited by the FTX product...

I'm reading about their other releases and it appears they use some aerial imagery for the ground textures in specific areas, but not everywhere.

Should we expect their version to include aerial imagery for the whole area covered or just selected parts?

Dave :salute:

AndyE1976
November 8th, 2012, 11:17
Probably just parts. Even in the cities it is unlikely that they will do what Aerosoft did with London X and have a photo scenery base for the whole city of London.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they do with London as London X has always been a bigger performance hit than Manhatten X for me, but it looks great - will be interesting to see if ORBX can make London perform given the size and density of buildings.

I think the UK could be one of the most compact regions in terms of distances between large cities, so the use of photographic tiles will be interesting.

PrivateCustard
November 8th, 2012, 11:58
From what I've seen, orbx have managed to improve massively with every release. Australia was a pig to run on my rig, the US areas were better, and NZ (both islands) were absolutely awesome, even in the heart of Auckland. I'm hoping they've managed to work that same magic with England.

For Europe, I'm currently using GEX textures, and the performance and looks have always been a bit dodgy really. Saying that, I managed 24fps at UK2000 Heathrow last night, with 100% traffic.......and a steady (locked) 30fps over London! If I can guarantee 30fps everywhere, I'm a happy bunny.

My recent love for the smaller aircraft has certainly eased the burden on my increasingly thrashed machine!!

YoYo
November 10th, 2012, 10:25
http://fullterrain.com/product_eueng.html

New KMZ file was added (for Google maps).

racartron
November 10th, 2012, 10:31

The great thing about these guys is there are enough of 'em to work on multiple projects at the same time.

griphos
November 10th, 2012, 18:01
PNW is finished. Do you mean finish North America first? That's a big task!

racartron
November 10th, 2012, 18:41
PNW is finished. Do you mean finish North America first? That's a big task!

Last time I checked Southern Alaska and Northern California were still on the docket as well as Bella Coola(scheduled for this November). So I guess it depends on what the definition of of PNW is.:mixedsmi: Personally, I consider the definiton of PNW more like a suggestion

griphos
November 10th, 2012, 19:38
PNW is the Pacific Northwest, which was the first NA region. You appear to mean North America, which will involve a LOT of regions before it's done. I believe Southern Alaska and Northern California are still in the works, and that the EU regions, beginning with England, are being done by a completely different crew, so I don't believe work on EU slows down the work on NA or vice versa. It will take years before all of NA is offered, I suspect, so it's not realistic for them to postpone work on EU regions until that is done.

YoYo
November 13th, 2012, 14:28
Noticed some of new shots: http://fullterrain.com/product_eueng.html (end of webpage).

http://fullterrain.com/images/ss/eueng/60.jpg

crashaz
November 13th, 2012, 16:13
Phew... may have to go back and look at all those FSX bomber fields to see if they match the ground textures now. :^)

ColinT46
November 14th, 2012, 12:01
Could be available as early as this week-end. (Download of course). Fingers crossed.

GaryGB
November 15th, 2012, 06:37
Another nice set of screenies showcases some fine terrain texture work. :kilroy:

As to the "vector" autogen vegetation content, I'd personally welcome seeing a greater diversity of tree types, placed with a greater variety of tree sizes, and more variable reference point tree offsets from the row lines along edges of fields (aka "jitter").:rolleyes:

AFAIK, this could be done in FenceBuilder Pro, and resulting placements might be converted into Cell grid X-Y "relative" vector coordinates when incorporated into autogen code sets. :iidea:

Also, IMO, it would be good to see more skylight shadows (aka "ambient occlusion") baked into urban building textures for greater realism < England isn't THAT clean and bright, is it ? >. :wavey:

It will be interesting to see how this series is received compared to the packages arising from a long history of UK photo-realistic / colorized aerial imagery packages and various UK freeware / payware autogen tree add-on projects.

GaryGB

YoYo
November 15th, 2012, 08:40
"However the plan is to have FTX England on sale by this weekend and the DVD Edition in reseller's stores before the end of this month.
" :applause:

More info:
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/50697-ftx-england-on-short-finals/

ananda
November 15th, 2012, 09:59
Noticed some of new shots
That is a very poor rendition of the Post Office Tower and the high-rise buildings look completely wrong, gable roofs :icon_eek:

Bruce Thompson
November 15th, 2012, 10:06
That is a very poor rendition of the Post Office Tower and the high-rise buildings look completely wrong, gable roofs :icon_eek:

You may be right about the Gable roofs but I think that is the PO Tower in Birmingham
not the London one.

Naismith
November 15th, 2012, 14:07
You may be right about the Gable roofs but I think that is the PO Tower in Birmingham
not the London one.
BAZINGA!
I think it looks very good, but my Aerosoft London will probably have to come off now. Grrrr. Never mind that is the price of progress.

Matt Wynn
November 15th, 2012, 14:43
yeah that's the BT Tower in Birmingham alright... looking forwards to this one now! :jump: