PDA

View Full Version : F-35 Project - will turn to freeware soon

Dino Cattaneo
November 5th, 2012, 00:21
Hello everybody:

For several reasons, I have decided to withdraw the F-35 from sales and re-release it as freeware.
The F-35 will still be on sales at SimMarket for a week or so - and then it will not be available for a while (TBD). It will be re-released as freeware later on.

Please see my blog for more details.

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/f-35-sales-figures-in-will-turn-to.html

This is an "early warning" for people who intend to purchase the F-35 anytime soon.

airattackimages
November 5th, 2012, 01:28
I was actually planning on buying it in a couple weeks when I got paid...

I know you said TBD, but do you have any guesses on how long itll be unavailable?

I'm glad you got your money back. Nice!

Dino Cattaneo
November 5th, 2012, 02:23
I have not decided yet.
From one side, I'd release it as freeware ASAP.
From the other side, the longer the gap the greater is the "exclusivity" value for people who paid for it.
At the moment I am oriented to an early 2013 release (later than the new Tomcat, anyway).

flaviossa
November 5th, 2012, 02:56
Dino, i bought the f35 some time ago and i must say it´s a beauty in the skies. It´s an amazing addon and i think, made with love to the hobby. The decision to make it freeware is a great gesture from you and everybody will have a chance to fly it. So, about your concerns above, i think every buyer will understand the reasons. For me, i´ll fully support your decision even if you release it tomorrow, just because in my mind i´m supporting your work the best i can :salute:

gtirob01
November 5th, 2012, 06:20
I purchased both versions and can say I am not one bit mad that you will release it as freeware, and think that everyone should have a chance to fly this well made aircraft! The money I spent on the 2 versions were more of a "thank you" than a purchase anyways! Keep up the good work, and I cannot wait for the new Tomcat!

b52bob
November 5th, 2012, 06:27
Terrific!

Have wanted this for a long time but really couldn't afford it.

I can afford a little though and I hope that there will be something on your site to let someone donate.

You are a credit to the art of flight simming and I'm sure we all feel the same.

Thanks again

Bob

Victory103
November 5th, 2012, 07:14
Dino, agree with Bob, I would/will gladly donate to your other 2 models I fly regularly, the Tomcat and T-45 just for your time and effort as this is just a hobby for you. Ever the perfectionist, your continued support and upgrades far exceed many pure software developers.

Barnes
November 5th, 2012, 07:26
Hi Dino

I was delighted to purchase it and support you so i also dont care if it goes freeware. It wont be the first time products go on sale or free in a short space of time

CG_1976
November 5th, 2012, 08:22
I know I just bought the F35 new version about a hour ago and I don't care when it goes Free. Your beautiful work on modeling in FS is well worth the money I spend:salute:. As to going Freeware, you are the modeler and designer of the F35 and therefore I respect your call and decisions. She will bring daily joy and even more once I find a painter to do a RCAF Fictional Sq (Vampire) paint:jump: .

jetstreamsky
November 5th, 2012, 14:14
Release it earlier rather than later, I have the pay version and an out of work friend could fly multiplayer with me if it were available, I say get it while it's hot :jump:

letourn
November 5th, 2012, 15:05
Hi Dino,

Also bought The F-35 and it was a pleasure paying for it. if i havent bought it some paypal donation would have been send. The 3 models looks great and fun to fly. i dont mind either if its release sooner has a freeware more multiplayer fun.

There is some fictional CAF repaint on the way also the BF-1, BF-2 Wasp and BF-4 Wasp the last 2 are done need to be upgrade to the latest version Dino release lately

Sundog
November 5th, 2012, 15:05
I paid for my F-35 and look forward to you releasing it as freeware for others to enjoy. I don't know about the holidays over there, but we have the Thanksgiving Holiday coming up in the U.S. and I think it would be nice if it was released during that week, since most people here have the Friday after off as well. A nice long weekend for them to play. That's just my $.02.

You were always up front with everyone who bought it that the sole purpose was to pay for the expensive model. You've done that and I'm grateful for it. My feelings certainly won't be hurt regardless of when you release it, but obviously, when ever you think is best is best. :)

Thanks for a such a great plane.

sketchy
November 5th, 2012, 15:12
I bought it, it was so much fun it put back my development projects by a long time as I spent more time flying that than in Max or Photoshop!

It was one of those re-discovering the sim moments, the only other two I had was Acceleration for Carrier flying, and installing REX.

Keep up the great work both Free and Payware.

Dino Cattaneo
November 8th, 2012, 23:21
Thank you all for your appreciation!

The F-35 will be withdrawn from sales in this weekend.

@Sketchy - It happened the same thing to me with the freeware Tracker - it was completely new perspective on carrier ops for me. I had a lot of fun...and could not quit before I mastering carrier approaches - which I found to me more difficult than in most jets because of the slower roll response....
I believe the worst thing of developing for FSX is that it it leaves very little time to fly other people's creations or explore new sceneries.