PDA

View Full Version : Wow! I just received a settlement check!

n4gix
November 4th, 2012, 15:55
With trembling fingers and bated breath, I slit open the envelope with visions of sudden wealth spinning around in my eager mind...

Man, my ship had finally docked, or so I thought at least...

...until I slid the enclosed check out and noted the amount...

$3.93!!!

Are they freaking joking? It would cost me more than the check's face value to drive to the bank and deposit this pitiful, paltry pittance into my checking account.

Ah well, such is life. This was my "share" of a $2.5 million settlement resulting from a class-action lawsuit brought against "Classmates.com". Many years ago I had "signed up" there, but never went back again. The suit was the result of all the "spam" this company sent out over the years trying to pry my credit card information from my very reluctant and suspicious mind. :kilroy:

Of course the real winners were the four lawyers and the two main principles who hired them as they get to divy up the other $2.5 million amongst the six of 'em.

limjack
November 4th, 2012, 17:50
Cash check and then go to nearest ice cream stand. Should be enough for a couple scoops with sprinkles :icon_lol:

Jim

aeromed202
November 4th, 2012, 18:33
Now I feel better about my $600 settlement over defective roofing shingles. This company had made top quality stuff for years, then for some stupid reason - hey, we can cut some costs here, or maybe an ingredient got screwed up the product was lousy. Upshot is that thousands of folks had rotting roofs in half the normal life span. We had to spend thousands on a new roof and that was our take from a class action suit.

Gdavis101
November 4th, 2012, 20:07
Sounds like the state income check I got back last year from Oregon.. $4.00, a whopping $4.00!! And it was followed by 3 letters that I needed to cash it! I still haven't, figured they could spend more money reminding me that I had a $4.00 check to cash!

SPman
November 4th, 2012, 20:22
They are the authorities - hence - by definition - dumb as a sack of wet mice!

SSI01
November 5th, 2012, 03:01
Sounds like the state income check I got back last year from Oregon.. $4.00, a whopping $4.00!! And it was followed by 3 letters that I needed to cash it! I still haven't, figured they could spend more money reminding me that I had a $4.00 check to cash!

Gotcha beat there - I once got a pay check in the Air Force for $.20, after settling accounts. The paper the check was printed on was worth more than the amount of the check. :icon_eek:

KellyB
November 5th, 2012, 04:47
A friend of mine, after one Christmas shopping spree at LL Bean, got a check from them for $0.98 with the explanation that they had discovered that they had inadvertently overcharged him at the store in Freeport, Maine, and didn't want him to think poorly of them.

A cute bit of marketing to convey the notion that the store still had the business ethics of old LL himself.

aeronca1
November 5th, 2012, 09:02
I once had a dispute with a gasoline chain over a credit card payment. I then paid the next statement omitting .10 from the payment. For the next two years, they spent .65 each and every month sending a bill that stated that amounts $1.00 over or under would not be collected or refunded. Bunch of ditzes!!

arfyhun
November 5th, 2012, 09:14
Sometimes it appears that stupidity is a skill not given to others...

Graham.

hey_moe
November 5th, 2012, 11:16
LMAO....yeah I got the same BS a while back and chose not to get involved....I kinda of figured it would end up just being a couple of bucks...da lawyers got it all.

Willy
November 5th, 2012, 11:29
In the Navy, when you transfer you get travel pay based on mileage to cover the costs of travel to the new duty station. When I was in Scotland, we couldn't use US pennies due to the similarity to British New Pence. A buddy of mine got transferred from one ship to another there and got his travel pay. 2 cents in US postage stamps.

Mickey D
November 5th, 2012, 12:22
When settling my late father's affairs two years back I got a Council Tax bill for £0.01 that he owed on his account. I went to the local council office, presented the bill to a "gobsmacked" clerk. I paid the 1 penny and demanded a reciept. Still got it, I thought of framing it.

Trans_23
November 5th, 2012, 17:47
My wife gets a dividend check along with a statement from Comcast every quarter for about 4 cents. It has to be costing them a few bucks just to print it up and mail it.

hey_moe
November 6th, 2012, 02:30
Our family did business with this local florist and I really liked them. I had an account there and I averaged buying two to three dozen roses a month. Sometimes for my mother but most of the time for the wife. Anyway I averaged a bill for around a hundred bucks a month, no biggie. This went on for about 10 years and all of a sudden I got a bill for a nickel with a ten dollar late payment. When I went down there to do a little bit of fussin they said they were under a new computer system.....I said F-it and just paid and closed my account.....to me it was greed. Anyway I had the owner for a customer a year or so later and he questioned me about how come he hadn't seen me or ordered any flowers for the wife or my mother. I told him he lost me for a customer for five cent. I told him I hope that five cent was worth around a thousand a year....he freaked out and said I should have said something to him. I said your son is the one who refused to do anything.Florist are a dime a dozen.