Panther_99FS
January 3rd, 2009, 21:48
Nice repaint Lonelyplanet :applause:

It's here at SOH downloads too :)

LPXO

LonelyplanetXO
January 3rd, 2009, 22:18
Nice repaint Lonelyplanet :applause:

TY Panther :) ...it's been a while since I was motivated to pick up a paintbrush

CG_1976
January 3rd, 2009, 22:19
Cool, always room in da hanger for a Aussie paint. Goes great with my daily dose of FTX Green.

simkid22
January 3rd, 2009, 23:52
Maybe the Tiltrotor needs some NASA paint...where did those brushes go...oh back on topic...I love the Westpac colors, off to download it.

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 00:00
It's here at SOH downloads too :)

LPXO

Hi Lonelyplanet - great job - thanks for sharing :applause:

rcbarend
January 4th, 2009, 04:45
Heh Robin,

Lets keep this Tiltrotor alive, right ...? :applause:

Cheers, Rob

CBris
January 4th, 2009, 07:29
Hi - this has appeared on the Avsim libary by Robin Ritchie

:applause::applause:

Anyone seen any more?

Summat like these two fictionals?

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 07:36
Great work Chris are they both available anywhere?

Is the DLT one privately owned by the "Hairy Monster"?? (Must be british over 40 to get that!)

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 07:41
Hairy Cornflake!!!

And I'm not over 40. :P

Ian P.

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 07:47
Hairy Cornflake!!!

And I'm not over 40. :P

Ian P.

:applause::applause: Quack quack oops :rapture:

scotsman
January 4th, 2009, 07:56
Hi Chris,

is that OLT-livery already available somewhere? Could make the 609 interesting for me.

Regards
Mike

Lionheart
January 4th, 2009, 07:57
Cool...

Love the Tilt Rotor and was hoping someone would be doing repaints.

Great work LonelyPlanet and Chris..

:ernae:

Bill

CBris
January 4th, 2009, 08:01
Oh bu66er!

I thought I had uploaded them to Avsim already! Sorry - it seems I got all my twickers in a nist before my Crimbo break. There's also a fictional for the VFR flightsimmers forum in progress, but I am not too happy with the way the pattern merges over the tail to the fin, so I'll be working on that one as well:

CBris
January 4th, 2009, 08:02
Great work Chris are they both available anywhere?

Is the DLT one privately owned by the "Hairy Monster"?? (Must be british over 40 to get that!)

That's O for Oscar by the way - http://www.olt.de

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 08:03
Looking great :kiss:

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 08:05
That's O for Oscar by the way - http://www.olt.de

O I C :icon_eek:

LonelyplanetXO
January 4th, 2009, 08:53
They look stunning Chris. Looking forward to those!
And yes, Rob, definitely worth a push...I have it on good authority that the Tiltrotor is about to get a whole lot better :)

LPXO

Txmmy83
January 4th, 2009, 08:58
just one question what payment options does wilco offer ?

BR
Tom
Simaerobatic

CBris
January 4th, 2009, 09:10
just one question what payment options does wilco offer ?

BR
Tom
Simaerobatic

I'm with you there... But hey, it's only money :whistle:

Lionheart
January 4th, 2009, 11:01
Man Chris,

That third one looks brilliant. Love the cool paint scheme.

Bill

CBris
January 4th, 2009, 12:03
Man Chris,

That third one looks brilliant. Love the cool paint scheme.

Bill

You would say that, Bill... :kiss: But that particular one will be a PITA because the lozenge patterns from the fuselage side view are on a flat texture that wraps around a tube. The fin, however, is fairly flat.

I really am going to have to learn to build 3D so that I can develop a model to a painter and aircraft engineer's needs :whistle:Maybe if we build planes for the sim, the way real planes are built? Now where is that robable bank so that I can get hold of 3DS Max :jump:

Incidentally - there was a similar difficulty when I did the Air America skin for the Aerosoft Twotter - once I discovered the mathematical symmetry of the pattern, I discovered that the Twotter fin isn't quite right. Bot I got that one done in the end, so I should manage the tilty thingy...

Txmmy83
January 4th, 2009, 12:11
I'm with you there... But hey, it's only money :whistle:
Chris what I wanted to know any other method beside paypal which does not work for me because paypal doesn't accept my fathers card

BR
Tom
Simaerobatic

LonelyplanetXO
January 4th, 2009, 12:22
You would say that, Bill... :kiss: But that particular one will be a PITA because the lozenge patterns from the fuselage side view are on a flat texture that wraps around a tube. The fin, however, is fairly flat. ...

If it's any help Chris, I noticed that the texture on the tail is stretching a bit. If you compress the height of your tail texture by about 20% it seems to display correctly.

Regards
LPXO

Lionheart
January 4th, 2009, 14:04
You would say that, Bill... :kiss: But that particular one will be a PITA because the lozenge patterns from the fuselage side view are on a flat texture that wraps around a tube. The fin, however, is fairly flat.

I really am going to have to learn to build 3D so that I can develop a model to a painter and aircraft engineer's needs :whistle:Maybe if we build planes for the sim, the way real planes are built? Now where is that robable bank so that I can get hold of 3DS Max :jump:

When I do my planes these days, I make them to be extremely painter friendly. I try to do two sided fuselages as much as possible, instead of 4 sided. But sometimes it just doesnt work. arrgh...

Right now, I have the paint schemes so easy on several of my birds. Just get the paintkit, change the special layers, tune the shading layers Opacities, and done.. Burn to FS format and fly.. :d

It is good to know that how planes are 'mapped'. That is the big thing. Some people cut the fusealges in half, and flip the back half. That is a nightmare to repaint (in my humble opinion), but some people (like Sean Doran) do awesome with repaint kits like that, so it must be my inability to deal with flipped/cut parts. :faint:

Bill

CBris
January 4th, 2009, 23:07
Yeah... with you on the flipped half (Aerosoft's Twotter is like that - and splitting a bumpmap is not fun).

The prob with the Tilty too, is that the paintkit isn't based on a wireframe, so the positions of fin on fuselage are guesswork until I make my own grids...

The fact that too many devs don't add the specular texture as a mapped sheet is also very annoying. Having the spec "built in" is not clever, it's just lazy... What's the point of having a nice modelled specular on the mdl - a. you lose any chance for making "trick paint" effects and b. you can't make matt surfaces shine or shiny surfaces matt so any DIRT you paint on the plane remains glossy.

'Multi parters' are OK if the dev puts register marks on the textures (a plus for the Tiltrotor!) or adds a good wireframe map or combines both and adds a texture for the whole fuselage (Do 27 was in four pieces...)

Each PK is as different as the master painter for any project. That's what makes painting so exciting and challenging...

MCDesigns
January 5th, 2009, 01:17
The fact that too many devs don't add the specular texture as a mapped sheet is also very annoying. Having the spec "built in" is not clever, it's just lazy... What's the point of having a nice modelled specular on the mdl - a. you lose any chance for making "trick paint" effects and b. you can't make matt surfaces shine or shiny surfaces matt so any DIRT you paint on the plane remains glossy.

Probably because using a spec map is very new to developers (and painters) and they are probably just going on what they know from their FS9 knowledge rather than just trying to be "clever". I haven't tried it with an FS model yet, but in my other CGI design programs, even with a spec map, you still have to have the specular enabled for the spec map to even work and the map just makes the specular more specific, not just turning it on or off.

While I agree it's great to have the options, if the developer didn't envision that when working on it that doesn't necessarily mean he is being lazy.

BTW sweet paints Chris, may have to look into the tiltrotor if the update inproves it.

CBris
January 5th, 2009, 05:04
My apologies to developers who may have taken offense. But FSX is now two and a bit years old - and the SDK is quite detailed. Even Acceleration has been out for a good while. Maybe it is not possible to activate specular lighting in GMax? But then alphas are activatable - and that is another thing some developers ignore as well.

I don't mind this kind of "laziness" on freeware, but on payware it is really a must. Especially payware that comes in at over 30 odd Euros.

That's also something for betatesters to remember as well. You don't just do a beta to get a freebie... you're in it to be a real pain to the developer, because if he can't take the heat from the betatesters, he is in deep doodoos when the buyers start moaning...

Of course, if you have access to good photomaterial, you can actually "fiddle" some nice shiny bits (this one has no spec and very few alpha channels)...

Lionheart
January 5th, 2009, 11:15
That's also something for betatesters to remember as well. You don't just do a beta to get a freebie... you're in it to be a real pain to the developer, because if he can't take the heat from the betatesters, he is in deep doodoos when the buyers start moaning...

Well said, lol.. Oh man..

Let us know guys when your repaits will be available. I am looking forward to them.

Was flying the 'Tilt' last night. Man, I must fly it everynight now before bed. Doing a hover seems to be a big challenge for me, lol.. On my flights last night, I did a real weather Heatherow to London City and back, then a Heathrow to East Midlands (about 100 NM North). Had to climb to 20,000 feet to get free of some high alt. gusts, very rough storm weather. Steep descent into Midlands, hover landing in front of the Terminal. Had to hover slightly sideways because of a strong cross wind. :d

Bill