PDA

View Full Version : Area 51- UH-60X Stealth Blackhawk released

kilo delta
November 2nd, 2012, 05:55
Just spotted this one... http://www.fspilotshop.com/area-60x-stealth-blackhawk-mhx-p-3926.html?sid=c674ea8ce66c216e2a90495605d4164b

In the 1 May 2011 operation that killed Osama bin Laden, it emerged that the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, which operated the helicopters during the raid, used a highly modified version of the UH-60. Features apparently include a modified tail section with extra blades on the tail rotor and other additions which significantly lowered noise levels from that of conventional UH-60s. It also had low-observable technology similar to that of F-117 that enabled it to evade Pakistan Air Force radars. The aircraft seemed to include features like special high-tech materials, harsh angles, and flat surfaces, found only on sophisticated stealth jets. This came to light only when one of the helicopters used in the operation crashed and was subsequently destroyed except for its tail section. Low observable versions of the Black Hawk have been studied as far back as the mid-1970s

Anyone bought it yet? Opinions? :)

kilo delta
November 2nd, 2012, 05:58
I found some more screenies here..

http://secure.simmarket.com/area51sim-uh-60x-stealth-blackhawk-(mhx).phtml

JIMJAM
November 2nd, 2012, 06:28
I get kinda nervous when all the screenies are at night. Even the external model but then again it is a stealth black so not much to see anyways. The pit seems dominated by default Kingair looking displays.

That said...... I am really into the whole black airplane, Area51,Edwards,Hollowman AFB scene and buy anything related. Sr-71,U2,F-35,F-117,b2 for example.

Just last week I took a chance with their U2 seeing how unlike FS9 nobody really does the black stuff like Alphasim use to do.

I was pleasantly surprised with the U2 and enjoy it. I suspect the uh60 will be simular. Not alot of bells and whistles, believable graphics with great fps and best of all fun to fly. Thats my only question is of the flight model. Even if it sucks I still have tweeked enough helis that I can get it convincing. I do need a black heli in my hidden secret bases. All I want to see is a decent daytime interior pit picture and I will give it a try and report back.

Victory103
November 2nd, 2012, 06:37
Didn't see that one coming. Understand the panel, it was a best guess on what the real one would look like, although those display would not be very NVG compatible.

Dain Arns
November 2nd, 2012, 07:00
Pleasant surprise.

Area 51 Sim does nice exterior models, but the VC's and gauges, along with the FDE usually tend to be pretty generic with experience from past purchases.
Then again they don't charge a lot for their products either.

I'm getting it, but I'm not going to be expecting a lot either, just FUN. :icon_lol:

BTW, getting it via Area 51 Sim seems to be the cheapest route...
http://www.area51sim.com/mhx.html

EDIT: Installer through Area 51 wants to install to a separate location.
Needs to be edited. It does come with a Paint Kit for what its worth...

(http://www.area51sim.com/mhx.html)

Cirrus N210MS
November 2nd, 2012, 08:40
can some one make a Video of this Aircraft Please Thank you

or some day time screen shots

Dain Arns
November 2nd, 2012, 10:57
can some one make a Video of this Aircraft Please Thank you

or some day time screen shots

Here you go.
It's rather hard to see during the day as well. :icon_lol:
Mostly flat surfaces that are all flat black.

Also comes with a 'doors open' model version with SEAL Team at the ready

Cirrus N210MS
November 2nd, 2012, 12:22
looks kind of funny

Dain Arns
November 2nd, 2012, 15:20
Little better view of the detail with the sun (light) low on the horizon...

strikehawk
November 2nd, 2012, 20:21
Took a flight out of Siebert, a fictional payware airfield, and went feet wet out to the new corvette. Pics are in another thread but she handles nice and smooth. Made a underway landing turned the boat a couple of times and she stayed put. Launched and did a low-level back to shore with a little terffing thrown in. Not as much of a floater as the H-1 when I was trying to slow down and land, this is like a sports car as far as I'm concerned. Reality with this bird in not a big thing because no one is talking about it.

Now, my one big gripe, forward visibility is poor, the windscreen framing is very heavy and right most upright block a good portion of your view. I had to do some half turns to acquire the boat during my approach kind of like taxiing a tail dragger, you'll get used to it. So far I've only flown the clean model, the next flight will be with the GAU-17's deployed and doors open. Hopefully A51 modeled some drag into this config.

Purists will scream about little things but in my not so humble opinion it's worth the money. I plan on only two panel mods, changing out the radios for the ones used in the Lynx and two, adding the helo autopilot to make long flights a little easier. Now, where's that repaint program and my anime girl artwork collection?

Dain Arns
November 2nd, 2012, 21:08
I made some adjustments to the FDE, for me it kept slowly rolling to the left.
Some of the handling scalars seemed a bit low or off, IMO.
I'm not impressed with the sounds. To me it sounds like an old biplane inside of a working dishwasher on my system.
I aliased the sounds to the Acceleration EH101, which I have always thought was too quiet anyway.
Figured it would work well enough for a stealth helicopter.
I'm happy with that.

Forward visibility is challenging, but with the 'stealth' design features, it works for me.
I have TrackIR, so I just lean a bit to the side.
The VC is typical of Area 51, although it does seem like they are making some slight improvement with each release.
All in all, I'm happy with the product.
I knew I'd need realistic expectations with Area 51 Sim, based on what I've bought of theirs in the past.
As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't expecting an accurate addon, since without real data available to the public on the aircraft, it is a more fictional or fantasy product.

This is something strictly for fun, for me.
It appeals to the 'flying at very low level in a black government helicopter' part in me. :icon_lol:
If you are looking for something of the level of Dodo Sim, A2A, RealAir, or Milviz, its not here. :mix-smi:

BrittMac
November 2nd, 2012, 21:31
Weren't the pics of the "stealth" Hawk of a five bladed rotor? I may be remembering incorrectly, and I haven't looked it up. Didn't look the same on the screenshots to me, though no one has seen more than the piece of the tail section.

ST0RM
November 3rd, 2012, 07:06
Pleasant surprise.
BTW, getting it via Area 51 Sim seems to be the cheapest route...
http://www.area51sim.com/mhx.html

How? Same price as Flightsim Shop at $19.95

Two good reviews with some minor gripes. Seems to be a good add-on. I'll get this one too.

-Jeff

Dain Arns
November 3rd, 2012, 08:28
How? Same price as Flightsim Shop at $19.95

Two good reviews with some minor gripes. Seems to be a good add-on. I'll get this one too.

-Jeff

Let's see, simMarket is still above price what Area 51 Sim is offering.
IF I remember correctly, FlightSim Shop was above the Area 51 Sim price when the MHX was initially released, which would explain the "How?".
Since it's now the same price and works for you, great! :wavey:

FlightSim Shop I don't do business with for various reasons anyway, mostly because they charge customers $5.00 per product to re-activate a link.
And I personally believe in supporting a developer directly financially, if the means is available, like William Ortis of Lionheart Creations for example.
But to each his own...

Roadburner440
November 3rd, 2012, 08:37
I am interested in this bird being a real life H-60 mechanic. I find these "Stealthhawks" fascinating. I wouldn't expect it to get much faster than 110 knots or so unless they did some extreme beefing up of the powerplants. That would probably be the only thing to down it for me. Certaintly cool looking as can be though.

As a side note in real life in a regular H-60 forward visibility is pretty poor.. So I can only imagine if you made the windows smaller and triangular. Then made the whole nose that shape that it would make visibility even worse. In real life the glare sheild takes up most of your view and you have maybe a 2ft by 3ft square to look directly out in front, but with the huge pilars on either side. Is why our pilots like flying with the doors off so they can lean out the door and look.

Warrant
November 3rd, 2012, 09:48
Now that is one cool looking chopper!

Purchased it, but had to manually install it (after extraction to a desktop folder).
After tweaking it a little bit, to my personal standards, i'm ready to fly it!

Warrant
November 3rd, 2012, 15:18
As i mentioned earlier; a very cool chopper indeed!

The only minor so far is in its looks; the floor seems rather thin for a combat chopper (and for any chopper actually)....

CG_1976
November 3rd, 2012, 15:36
I am interested in this bird being a real life H-60 mechanic. I find these "Stealthhawks" fascinating. I wouldn't expect it to get much faster than 110 knots or so unless they did some extreme beefing up of the powerplants. That would probably be the only thing to down it for me. Certaintly cool looking as can be though.

As a side note in real life in a regular H-60 forward visibility is pretty poor.. So I can only imagine if you made the windows smaller and triangular. Then made the whole nose that shape that it would make visibility even worse. In real life the glare sheild takes up most of your view and you have maybe a 2ft by 3ft square to look directly out in front, but with the huge pilars on either side. Is why our pilots like flying with the doors off so they can lean out the door and look.

And that is why I wont go near or Pilot our Jayhawks:kilroy:. I'll stick with the MH65's and die by the MH65.

ST0RM
November 3rd, 2012, 17:09
For those that tweaked the FM, care to share your settings and all that it did?

-Jeff

YoYo
November 3rd, 2012, 23:22
Any pictures of vc but in a day :icon_lol: ?

Warrant
November 4th, 2012, 05:53
Any pictures of vc but in a day :icon_lol: ?

Since you asked so nicely....

airattackimages
November 4th, 2012, 09:24
The only minor so far is in its looks; the floor seems rather thin for a combat chopper (and for any chopper actually)....
Maybe that's why they had the issue in Pakistan, someone set their bag down too hard and it busted the floor out.

Warrant
November 4th, 2012, 09:47
Maybe that's why they had the issue in Pakistan, someone set their bag down too hard and it busted the floor out.

LOL! :icon_lol:

Victory103
November 4th, 2012, 17:04

As with the SOAR birds, bigger engines are not an issue and would've been added, so back up to the 140 ish cruise depending on the weight. Never really thought the forward vis was an issue in the 60 during the day, I guess I just got used to it and moved my head around more (especially with NVG's on), one can also adjust the seat. We fly door's off because we have no AC, it's actually more of a pain with the chance of maps/paperwork flying out the door!

Artist license on the panel for sure, but I can see where A51 was going and should be accurate enough for customers.

bruce448
November 6th, 2012, 00:51
Before I go off and buy this what are the tail rotor blade count is when static and rotating from the screenies that I have seen there are 4 tail rotor blades yet from the pics posted of the downed one there should be 5.

Bruce

Dain Arns
November 6th, 2012, 09:54
Sorry, I'm curious. What pictures of the 'downed one' is everyone referring too?
Only 'pictures' I ever saw posted after the incident were just an educated guess of how it was supposed to look as well. :kilroy:

bruce448
November 6th, 2012, 10:00
Sorry, I'm curious. What pictures of the 'downed one' is everyone referring too?
Only 'pictures' I ever saw posted after the incident were just an educated guess of how it was supposed to look as well. :kilroy:

This is one of the pictures plus it looks very grayish to me.

Bruce

Dain Arns
November 6th, 2012, 10:20
Okay, I never paid attention to the number of rotor blades (obviously...D'oh) :icon_lol:.
Looks 'naval grey'.
Does come with a paint kit, maybe someone will do a US Naval scheme version someday.

Oh well, I'm still happy with it. :wiggle: