PDA

View Full Version : FSX instant shutdown

Paul Domingue
October 31st, 2012, 15:27
Before I go and reinstall FSX I thought I would ask if anyone has encountered this problem.

I ran FSX last night testing my model development without any problems. Today I worked on my model making some 3d gauges and coding them then started FSX to test the work. FSX started, I selected my model, it loaded and there is usually a few seconds hesitation in the VC while the graphics load and then in a blink the sim shuts down. There are no error messages of any kind just an instantaneous shutdown (blink gone) and I'm at the desktop.

I tried other aircraft, same thing. I removed my model from the (Airplane) folder thinking it was the problem but no.

I have not changed anything or added any new software or made any changes to the system since running FSX successfully last night and have worked in only 3ds Max, Photoshop and the modeldef.xml file between then and the current problem.

Any suggestions?

Paul

modelr
November 1st, 2012, 05:25
Seems like a "duh" suggestion, but did you reboot the 'puter? Again.

Warhawk1130
November 1st, 2012, 06:31
Troubleshoot...last thing you did was add gauges to a project...try moving the files you worked on out and then see if FSX works normally again...gauge issues frequently cause crashes without any notification.

Tako_Kichi
November 1st, 2012, 08:13
I had something like this on my project Paul and it turned out to be some bad XML code in the modeldef.xml file. As you have been working on gauges I should check your last entries in the modeldef file and either comment out that code or temporarily remove it and recompile the model and see what happens.

In my case it was having a CTD when entering the 3D world, the 2D GUI worked fine.

rcbarend
November 1st, 2012, 08:17
Before I go and reinstall FSX I thought I would ask if anyone has encountered this problem.

I ran FSX last night testing my model development without any problems. Today I worked on my model making some 3d gauges and coding them then started FSX to test the work. FSX started, I selected my model, it loaded and there is usually a few seconds hesitation in the VC while the graphics load and then in a blink the sim shuts down. There are no error messages of any kind just an instantaneous shutdown (blink gone) and I'm at the desktop.

I tried other aircraft, same thing. I removed my model from the (Airplane) folder thinking it was the problem but no.

I have not changed anything or added any new software or made any changes to the system since running FSX successfully last night and have worked in only 3ds Max, Photoshop and the modeldef.xml file between then and the current problem.

Any suggestions?

Paul
Yes.
SInce it now also happens for other aircraft:
Remove your FSX.cfg file (back it up somewhere) and let FSX build a new one.
See if the problem is gone now (for the other aircraft).

This worked for quite a few people already.
Reason could be: a corrupted FSX.cfg file.
FSX re-writes the fsx.cfg file at FSX program exit; at normal termination, or a "controlled" crash (with termination message) this should be OK.
However, with an uncontrolled CTD, there's no way to predict what will happen with the fsx.cfg file.

Hope this solves it for you.
If so: then re-configure the fsx.cfg (via normal menu settings) and/or other additions you made in the fsx.cfg file (like performance tweaks)

Rob

Paul Domingue
November 1st, 2012, 11:56
I found the offender!

I deleted my model to begin with then the FSX.cfg and ran FSX allowing the additional modules that I had working before the problem and it crashed to the desktop again. So I tried it again this time loading the modules one at the time, FSUIPC, FSRecorder, etc. It turned out that it was the new VRS Tacpack core module that was the culprit.
I found this strange since I installed the Tacpack almost a month ago and have not had a problem until now. The Tacpack is a beta version so I'll let VRS know what I found. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

BTW, the modeldef.xml file will not cause problems for FSX if it has errors only for the particular model that is complied which may in turn cause problems for FSX. Most people don't have the SDK installed unless they are developers.

Paul Domingue
November 1st, 2012, 12:11
It seems that the VRS Tacpack version I had expired on October 31st..... Well it caused my FSX to expire as well!!
Ain't that a kick in the head! :tgun2:

warchild
November 1st, 2012, 23:41
well that sux.. Have you alerted VRS?? I dont think they would intentionally cause fsx to crash if their gauges expire..

lazarus
November 2nd, 2012, 00:05
Trick or treat; Happy Samhain, eh? Good to know.

Daube
November 2nd, 2012, 01:29
It seems that the VRS Tacpack version I had expired on October 31st..... Well it caused my FSX to expire as well!!
Ain't that a kick in the head! :tgun2:

So this was the explanation ??
I had the exact same problem as you had. I tried reinstalling my video drivers but I also installed the latest TacPac patch at the same time, and it solved my problem but I could not understand which one was really the responsible... Now thanks to your experience I know. Thanks a lot :)

Paul Domingue
November 2nd, 2012, 07:40
well that sux.. Have you alerted VRS?? I dont think they would intentionally cause fsx to crash if their gauges expire..

Yes I did post it on the VRS forum and last I checked it helped someone else out. It's like I said over there that as a developer things happen and it was a beta version available to those who had prepaid for the Tacpack. So we really can't complain.