PDA

View Full Version : Its going to be a good trip!!!

limjack
January 3rd, 2009, 19:43
Well, I am pulling the B377 out of the hanger and loading up REX and heading out on a round the world mission. I will be taking it slow and enjoying. Man, with the Rex weather and this bird I will be in Heaven:engel016:. I am just amazed at what I am seeing out the window....Take a look....

GypsyBaron
January 3rd, 2009, 22:17
Well, I am pulling the B377 out of the hanger and loading up REX and heading out on a round the world mission. I will be taking it slow and enjoying. Man, with the Rex weather and this bird I will be in Heaven:engel016:. I am just amazed at what I am seeing out the window....Take a look....

Have a good trip but remember to have a look at the
oil temperatures before you try starting those radials
on cold winter mornings. The oil dilution switches are your friends :hand:

I've logged over 190 hours on the BOAC airframe and
changed all 4 engines at one time or another. I've got
103 hours on #4 at the moment and expect it to fail
soon. It's using oil like a sieve!

Paul

FAC257
January 4th, 2009, 02:56
I'm currently at 25,000' about mid-way on the very last flight leg of a B377 world tour I started months ago right after she was released.

This last leg is a non-stop 4400 mile flight from Totegegie Airport, NTGJ in the middle of the Pacific to Daytona Beach, KDAB. I put her on auto-pilot last night before hitting the sack and just checked in to see if the fluids are going to hold out. With a slight course correction and the mixture levers all the way back to .50, it looks like she'll make it back home a little later today. Just enough time to get my Sunday chores done. :)

I've done several world tours over the years, but by far this one using the B377 has been my favorite trip.

I'm kind of bummed mine will be over in a few hours and a little envious of you just starting out.

Fly well! :engel016:

harleyman
January 4th, 2009, 03:25
Sounds like great fun......:applause:

Your pics with REX are fantanstic.....:wave:

limjack
January 4th, 2009, 09:43
Ok, this is going to be a bit tuff. I climbed into the cockpit this morning in Reno and temp. outside reading -6c....ouch. So tried the oil dilution system on all four engines at same time but could not work my fingers fast enough to get them started before they died out on me. So then I focused on number 3 engine and did manage to get it going after a period in time. Then I was working on number 4 engine, got oil up to 17C and would not go. Then I heard the wifes footprints around the house and gentle pressure to start helping with chores....Such pressure, trying to start engine in cold to do a small leg and now chores. I am still sitting in Reno and doing dishes and taking down Christmas. I loose...game over...."JIM" out of the cockpit now LOL! So the question is am I able to warm all the engines( oil ) at the same time when it is this cold out and start them or is it better to focus on one? Number 4 engine is just a bugger and would not fire up.

Jim

limjack
January 4th, 2009, 14:34
Ok, I am flying again. Waited till it warmed a bit then did the oil dilution and got the temp up to 20. All engines fired up right away.
Hey Harleyman, thanks for the kind comments on the shots and FAC257, if you miss your approach on your last leg declare missed approach and head around the world again and thanks Paul for the HU on the cold engines. Who would of thunk the first airport I landed at I would be stranded for a bit because of the cold.

Jim

Coming up on Vegas....gota go now

FAC257
January 4th, 2009, 15:03
Like GypsyBaron mentioned, that Oil Dilution system is your best friend in cold weather.

I had to learn to be real patient with getting the oil temps up enough to get all for engines running, without losing the first ones I started because they frosted again. Also being impatient at first in cold weather caused me a few almost new engines to indicate wear damage from a single cold morning start-up sequence.

On those real cold starts I started flipping all four individual oil dilution switches on. Then when I was trying to warm up the oil for an individual engine start, I was already getting a little head start on warming the oil for the other engines. I would only flip the individual oil dilution switches off once that engine started and was stable.

Watch the central oil tank temps. As your warming up the oil on the individual tanks, the central tank will drop down to the ambient OAT. Re-heat that central oil once in a while for pumping back to the individual tanks.

>>> "FAC257, if you miss your approach on your last leg declare missed approach and head around the world again" <<<

I'm down and safe. Going to take a break from any long excursions for a while. :)