PDA

View Full Version : MSConfig for Vista

Helldiver
January 3rd, 2009, 17:36
When I use Windows XP it was always easy to put under Run: MSConfig and then you could zap all them freeloaders that climbed aboard without so much as a bye your leave.
But in Vista, one of the wonderful things is that you got no Run command. You don't even have a decent Search command. Effectively, under Vista, you are a non-person. That is, until you gain Administrators rights.
Now I got so much junk loading up, my wife and I can go down to the local saloon, have a couple of pops and by the time we get back home Windows Vista has finally loaded.
Is there anybody that knows what the equivalent to MSConfig in Vista?
All I want to do is get rid of this time consuming junk. :help:

Kiwikat
January 3rd, 2009, 17:39
Uh, have you tried msconfig? lol...

What else are you looking for?

Grey_Wolf
January 3rd, 2009, 18:03
press the start button on your keyboard, with the lil windows logo, and the letter R it opens the run command

SolarEagle
January 3rd, 2009, 18:27
Vista replaced the Run prompt with the Start Search prompt, so just type msconfig into the Start Search box and press enter. It will open right up. The Start Search box is in the lower left of the start menu, and functions exactly as the Run prompt in XP. Alternately you can press Windows Key+R to open the old style run box. The Windows Key is between Ctrl and Alt on the left side.

Butcherbird17
January 3rd, 2009, 19:01
In Vista...........
Start/All Programs/Accessories/RUN :kiss::wave:

You can also do this..
right-click the Start button and choose Properties. With the Start Menu tab active, click the Customize button in the upper right. Scroll through the list of options and check Run command. Click OK twice. The command will now appear in the lower-right corner of the Start menu.

Joe

harleyman
January 3rd, 2009, 20:26
Vista has a decisive lag ......

I watch my wife curse it daily,while my XP just kicks in and goes.....

But she loves Vista........

Its a standing joke at my house...Anything goes wrong ,its a Vista thing....LOL

Fortiesboy
January 4th, 2009, 00:58
Go here and there is a method described of taking out all those processes you don't want.
It is very good.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations by Black Viper

There is a similar page for Vista.

ananda
January 4th, 2009, 01:21
First, switch off Aero then select Windows Classic theme. You will then have a start menu like XP:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7271/classicty7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Nick C
January 4th, 2009, 01:47
Here are some visual clues without switching off Aero.

Once you have entered "msconfig" into the search box, you will see the programme icon be displayed above it (at the very top of the start menu), however you can just hit the return key on your keyboard if you wish rather than clicking on the icon.

Helldiver
January 4th, 2009, 03:29
It happens that I have a "new" keyboard with the Windows Logo on it (I spilled a full cup of coffee on old faithful) I tried hitting the logo and "r" and I was able run MSConfig.
Now I have three computers, two are set up on Windows XP (which I love) and one has Windows Vista Home on it. I used to curse it, but FSX does run much better on Windows Vista and I'm sure the computer Gurus have an explanation about why this is.
But I ran into an article in November's PC World."12 Ways to Speed Up Windows Vista" I tried them and it got rid of all of Windows Vista bloat. One of them was turning off Aero. Windows Vista started to be as easy to run as Windows XP. Life was good except for Microsoft renaming things differently for some unknown reason.
That is until I ran into this "run" problem. All fixed now and I thank you fellows for all your help.

TeaSea
January 4th, 2009, 06:17
Goodness Helldiver,

I'm glad you asked this question. :applause: I hadn't been paying attention to this little thingy at all!

I ran MSConfig -- and you wouldn't beleive the stuff I have running. No wonder this thing boots up like a pig!?

Anyway, time for tweaking again. :rollerskater:

Helldiver
January 4th, 2009, 07:26
I'm embarrassed to tell this but I had 18 of these freeloaders hanging on to my start menu. I kicked them to the curb!
Now with the bloat taken away and a cleaned up start menu, Vista is almost as good as Windows XP.
The worst of the bunch was Windows Aero.