PDA

View Full Version : Warbirdsim latecomer with some questions!

expat
October 30th, 2012, 04:17
Been wanting the B/C for a while. Thanks for the sale! Really impressed and pleased with it, particularly the flight model. Lots of chuckles with simple pattern practice and how precise and delicate on the controls you need to be for such a brute (the P factor), compared with flying C172's and PA28's in real life, which handle more like trucks.

A few questions:

The radio pop up doesn't turn on - though it did once (not sure why) - however the gps is lit, so avionics and electrics seem ok.
I can't seem to mod or add a different pop up to the panel.cfg (different gps and added AP) without things going wonky. Is the cfg corrupted (read there was a corrupted air.cfg in the older FS9 version)?
Adding FS9 repaints (too good to resist): these look great except that I am missing the main panel background texture and the smaller one behind the starter switch. Can't figure out what texture I am missing or need to change.
Have found Jankees, Bomber 12ths, Epsillon, Dave Q's paints. Looks like Bruce448 did a bunch but not found on his page here in the archive. Are there others?
Last, is there even an "unofficial" forum for Warbirdsim (or is it here)?

Sorry about all the questions.

expat

Smashing Time
October 30th, 2012, 05:14
If search for 'Warbirdsim' under 'FSX Skins' you should get about 4 pages of paints. :kilroy:

expat
October 30th, 2012, 06:17
Thanks. I am finding searching the archive here much better but still a bit quirky with erratic results. Have found the missing texture. Now just need to figure out why the radio stack won't switch "on."

Bomber_12th
October 30th, 2012, 06:34
Hi Expat,

The GPS will (at least should be) always turned on, separate of the aircraft, being a portable unit. The radios should turn on when the avionics are turned on. As just one example (of many within those aircraft, being as old as they are) of it being produced in more 'simple times', I didn't know where to put an avionics switch at in the cockpit, so I used the compass light switch and tied it to controlling the avionics. This switch is located in the center switch panel, just below the instrument panel.

I don't recall ever hearing about problems modding the panel.cfg file, but you might have success if you take another pre-existing .cfg file, and simply copy/paste the contents from the P-51B/C panel.cfg file into it, and then use that file. I do recall the problem early on with the aircraft.cfg file in the FS9 release, which was due to the program which was used to originally create it, which when modded using Notepad, for some reason would collapse all of the text within.

Regarding FS9 repaints, as you found, many (all?) will require you to copy/paste one of the p-51_c2.dds files from one of the individual paint scheme folders. On top of this, you will also need to copy/past over one of the texture.cfg files from any of the individual paint scheme folders. Also, some of the repaints I've found don't come with placard textures, so those too will need to be sourced from one of the other paint schemes that comes with the product.

Bomber_12th
October 30th, 2012, 06:48
Besides those you named, some of my favorite of the FS9 repaints were done by Steve Bryant, under the username "Duckie", that can be found in the SOH library. Here are a couple of screens of one of my most favorite of his repaints, of a state-side training unit example:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/b_model1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/b_model2.jpg

expat
October 30th, 2012, 08:41
John - thanks for these tips - that should sort it out. Funny, I cannot see "Duckie" at all in the drop down list of authors in archive search function, whereas I found yours (and 32 pages of paints!). Will have another go. I did find his "Little Duckfoot" searching under other criteria - very nice - but keen to see them all. Thanks for the help.

expat

expat
October 30th, 2012, 08:45
OK, got them all now- thanks.