PDA

View Full Version : FS KBT EP-3E

jessie r.
October 29th, 2012, 16:05
Does anyon know how to get the FS KBT EP-3 out of the self installer im trying to get it so i can fly in FSX but since I do not have FS9 installed it will not let me? any ideas?

skyhawka4m
October 29th, 2012, 16:08
I installed it into a made up FS9 folder then extrqacted all the bits to the areas they need to be in. You will have to download the updates for the P-3C...props and glass....to have it work correctly. The VC has some issues but....I deal without them and fly VFR.

skyhawka4m
October 29th, 2012, 16:10

jessie r.
October 29th, 2012, 16:28
thanks skyhawka4m but ive tried that and i dont even make it that far when I run the installer i get this message ''Lockheed EP-3 Aries is not available under the OS which you are using please use diffrent version that is available under your system or contact the distributor about the operating enviroments the installation will now terminate'' Ihave no idea what that means

skyhawka4m
October 29th, 2012, 20:47
hmmmmmm....let me think about this....now that you mention it I remember having this problem also.....trying to think of how I worked around it.

euroastar350
October 29th, 2012, 21:34
Disable UAC for the installer to work, I stumbled upon this by accident:icon_lol:

kilo delta
October 30th, 2012, 03:20
I've just d/l'ed the file to test it on my Win 7 64 bit system and got the same message ..''Lockheed EP-3 Aries is not available under the OS which you are using please use diffrent version that is available under your system or contact the distributor about the operating enviroments the installation will now terminate'', even with UAC turned off.
Just right click on the installer and click on the Compatibility tab. Tick the box to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3, Apply and OK. You should be good to go then.

skyhawka4m
October 30th, 2012, 05:48
Kilo...I think this is what I did too.

I'm trying to find a repaint someone did for me for this bird but having a hell of a time. It had a huge bat painted on the tail. I supplied the painter with a photo to do it....may have to try to do it on my own.

jessie r.
October 30th, 2012, 15:20
:salute:Hey thanks everyone I tried it and It worked perfectly

skyhawka4m
October 30th, 2012, 17:29
I'm am trying to find the info I gave another painter to do this plane...he did it and I've lost it. If I can find the images I had I will attempt to do it myself.

jessie r.
October 30th, 2012, 17:37
thats a really cool scheme I'll start looking for some photos and if I find any i'll PM you. I was thinking about doing or trying to do some repaints myself mostly of the VPU-1 and VPU-2,VQ-2 and anything from the VX squadrons.

expat
November 2nd, 2012, 02:19
I really like KBT's work but sadly their P-3C is too hard on frames, the EP-3 Aries II even worse at least on my PC (medium high end). Guess they never got around to doing a native model for the Orion? Their native L-188, by contrast, looks and flies great in FSX and has a much improved VC (wish I could swap it into the Orion, but can't cause it is an FS9 model). You guys don't seem to have any fps complaints?

skyhawka4m
November 2nd, 2012, 02:47
FPS isn't too bad for actually.

expat
November 2nd, 2012, 06:15
Presume you are using (for the P-3) the "v29" ? That is the last/latest model which was FSX "compatible" but not native. Shame they haven't done the same for the Orions as the Electra as the latter performs markedly better (at least for me around busy AI airports).

jessie r.
November 2nd, 2012, 06:57
I have every P-3 loaded except the fire bomber and they seem to work great on mine.

expat
November 3rd, 2012, 06:44
Just to let you know it was the airport scenery I was testing at that was hitting my fps. Just done some long patrols and all going smoothly!

skyhawka4m
November 3rd, 2012, 06:50
The only issue I had was the cockpit in the EP-3 was missing some stuff but......since I'm doing VFR flying......no biggie to me. Its enough to remind me of my 12 years as aircrew on P-3's :jump:

expat
November 4th, 2012, 07:06
OK - this one flies very nicely with good fps! Anyone have an alternative panel.cfg? I find there are just too many older gauges and warning boxes to click each time it loads. I tried using the P-3C 2d and 3d panel but the vc textures didn't work very well and were too messed up. Shame you can't start the engines (same as P3-C) even when using "Ctrl + E". I load another 4 engine a/c start it and then switch to the Aries. Others having to do the same?

Also, there was a windscreen texture fix but the link at the KBT site is broken. Grateful if anyone has and can share it.

tommieboy
November 4th, 2012, 07:36
......Also, there was a windscreen texture fix but the link at the KBT site is broken. Grateful if anyone has and can share it.

I've been looking for that fix for a long time too.....

Tommy

jessie r.
November 4th, 2012, 08:34
I have the glass texture fix on my P-3C but at the moment I can't find exactly which texture it is. When I get it i'll let you guys know.

expat
November 4th, 2012, 09:24
When I get it i'll let you guys know.

Cool! Thanks.

Had some partial success moving the EP model into the VP-3 Catbird folder and then swapping in some different EHSI, EAPI gauges (from the F1 PC-12) and the F-16 radar gauge, using the remaining VP-3 gauges so have eliminated all the old gauge messages and clicking tedium. Missing a texture around the centre console but will think about a solution.

There is no "perfect" aircraft in FS!

TuFun
November 4th, 2012, 10:40

The fix is available in P-3C_v29. Using DXTbmp, grabbed the alpha channel from p3_fusel01_t.bmp.

p3_fusel01.bmp ---------------------------- alpha fix...

expat
November 4th, 2012, 11:06
TuFun - thanks for this tip! Want that bad boy H500 you are teasing us with . .

Here is where I have got to on a low maintanence, OK VC on the EP. You can see where the center console vc texture is greyed out and missing. Much room for improvement (if I had the skills .. ):

TuFun
November 4th, 2012, 11:28
Interesting gauge layout on the panel! On the Howard... finished the fuselage with all those rivets. No 3d views, so stared at a bunch of pictures trying get some kinda of clues to the pattern. Thanks to Milton, he had some very good pics. Next are the wings... ;) Also, created new engines for the bird. Progress posts are in the FS9 section.

Navy Chief
November 4th, 2012, 14:47
I'm am trying to find the info I gave another painter to do this plane...he did it and I've lost it. If I can find the images I had I will attempt to do it myself.

Ah, VQ-1. Retired from the Navy, and was with VQ-1, stationed at NAS Whidbey Island. NC

skyhawka4m
November 4th, 2012, 22:40

expat
November 5th, 2012, 02:50
The fix is available in P-3C_v29.

Hmm. I have downloaded v29 but using dxt.bmp the alpha image only has the port hole side window, nothing for the front cockpit glass. Could you possibly attach the texture (in a zip) to a post on this thread?

Thanks

expat

expat
November 5th, 2012, 03:21
Never mind, found it!!

Regards,

expat

TuFun
November 5th, 2012, 03:26
Never mind, found it!!

Regards,

expat

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Military%20Aviation/fsx2012-11-0421-12-40-17.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-11-0421-08-25-71.jpg

Cool... for those who need the file... here she be!

expat
November 5th, 2012, 03:41
Wonderful screenies!

expat
November 6th, 2012, 12:46
OK, got everything working very nicely. Window fix (thanks again), smoke, lights - and - got the VC textures to my liking using the P-3C panel as a base so no more spending 5 mintues clicking "OK" boxes each load up.

Found this mod (search at avsim for: p3-startup-shut-fix.zip) that at least now lets me start the engines with Ctrl + E (wouldn't budge before) and may try swapping in some starters that I know do work in fsx

She is one hell of an aircraft for long missions + speed + short field performer. Anyone have any sound recommmendations? Am using the sounds from the CS C-130 (pretty similar Allison powerplant x 4 though upside down) and these are pretty decent.

CG_1976
November 6th, 2012, 14:32
KBT, they made the FSX Native L188? If they did Could one req KBT to possibly consider one of the P3 variants?

airattackimages
November 6th, 2012, 14:44
I have a perfect soundpack that I use for this P-3, it was freeware and Im not exactly sure if I got it at Flightsim.com or not. If I can't find where, maybe I'll zip mine up and send it to you...

About its short field performance, its way too powerful. I toned mine back a smidge on the power by editing the cfg.

expat
November 6th, 2012, 22:44
For those interested, attached is the panel.cfg used for the vc in the screenshot above. It uses the panel textures from the EP-3E but most of the gauges from the P-3C. The EHSI and EADI are from the payware F1 PC-12. There were and still are some "holes." I don't have Panel Studio so it is a bit of manual slog using the "pluck and plug" method of other default or otherwise working gauges to fill gaps.

jessie r.
November 7th, 2012, 06:21
Thanks so much expat for the panel, I'm trying to do some more repaints for it :)

expat
November 7th, 2012, 07:38
If you are doing some more higher res panel textures that would be cool.

jessie r.
November 7th, 2012, 09:50
I'll try that but right now just the regular skin textures are kicking my butt lol