PDA

View Full Version : Berliner Joyce OJ-2 Available

PutPut
October 26th, 2012, 17:58
Simviation beat me to it; my model of the Berliner Joyce OJ-2 is available in their FSX Vintage section and should be available at flightsim tomorrow.
The OJ-2 was developed by Berliner Joyce as both a land plane and a sea plane to be catapult launched from US Navy Heavy Cruisers for use as a scout. They were originally delivered with wheels and later converted to floats. In 1934 they were assigned to Cruiser Division Two, VS-5B and Cruiser Division Three, VS-6B. This data is from William Larkin's book, "Battleship and Cruiser Aircraft of the U.S. Navy 1910 - 1949". There is very little data about their success. There are a few photo's and fortunately Paul Matt provided his usual exquisite 3 views which I used as backgrounds for this project.
This is a native FSX Acceleration project developed with FSDS v3.51 and FSDSXTweak v2.81. Both the land based and sea based models are included. The textures are in DXT5.DDS format. The land based model is textured for VS-6B assigned to the USS Concord and the sea plane is textured for VS-5B assigned to the USS Trenton. I have included Mike Hambly's excellent sound file for the P & W R-985 engine. I could not find any pictures of the interior so I based the VC on photo's of similar planes of the same era, notably the Vought O3U-1 and SBU-1. The gauges work and the flight controls are animated. The gauges are backlighted for night ops. I have included a dark red effect for the VC. This is a personal choice so feel free to change it by changing the appropriate entry in the lights section of the aircraft .cfg file.

Best, Paul

TARPSBird
October 26th, 2012, 23:44
Paul, I'm on it like crows on road-kill! Another beautiful prewar plane, thanks for your excellent work. :salute:

big-mike
October 27th, 2012, 05:59
Another great work,Paul.
Thank you very much---love her.
Michael

Lionheart
October 27th, 2012, 10:36
Great looking plane, Paul!

:applause: :medals:

Cazzie
October 27th, 2012, 14:46
It's got two wings and a lot of color, you know I'd/l'ing right now. Great looking Paul, thanks a bunch.:applause::running:

robert41
October 28th, 2012, 12:15
Thanks Paul.

PutPut
October 28th, 2012, 16:01
Here is the float version coming off the catapult of my model of the P-60 catapult on the USS Idaho. The OJ-2 was only assigned to heavy cruisers but the Idaho is the only ship I have installed with a catapult. I installed Rob Barendregt's rcbco-30 gauges to accomplish this.

Best, Paul