PDA

View Full Version : Next contract...Savannah,GA

crashaz
October 25th, 2012, 20:01
Working for Gulfstream on a contract. So if we need source material let me know! Also have the Mighty Eighth Museum museum to check out. We have any members in Savannah?

SSI01
October 26th, 2012, 04:28
How about SSI? Savannah's about 70 miles north of here. You've got a facility at Brunswick Golden Isles airport, I believe. Will you be visiting there anytime while on this contract?

Milton Shupe
October 26th, 2012, 04:34
My son went wild boar hunting there; got a big one. Take your bow and arrows. :-)

The wife and I would love to visit Savannah, GA and will do so soon.

Jagdflieger
October 26th, 2012, 06:39
My son is with the Ranger Battalion there and I plan to visit him sometime in 2013 for some wild boar hunting in the vicinity. If it all works out and I make it down there; we will definitely have to get out for dinner and a beer.

When my uncle was stationed at Hunter Air Base (now Hunter Army Air Field) we visited him in there. Later, my grandparents retired to Savannah and I recall Savannah as being a lovely city with a great river walk and lots of fun bars and attractions. It's a classic southern city with lots of charm.

By the way Crash, with your interest in ships, Charleston, SC (just a few hours up I-95) has Patriot's Point Museum. CV-10, the second Yorktown, is tied up there along with many other exhibits. Fort Sumter is also in the bay there. Both places are well worth the drive to visit.

TeaSea
October 26th, 2012, 12:04
Our Air Guard component is at Brunswick Golden Isles, so I'm up there pretty regular. Savannah has a pretty interesting downtown area....antebellum style homes around courtyards. Nice place to go poke around.

SSI01
October 27th, 2012, 04:29
Ditto to everything said by everyone in the thread:salute:

When this dazzling Detroit-area urbanite journeyed to the Center in Bwk in early 1988 he'd heard much about the South but had never experienced it. Savannah and Charleston - both quite beautiful places that are best seen in a leisurely, foot-based exploration - are well worth the visit. My bride-to-be suggested them to me as a weekend travel destination training break. They are two of her favorite places. I know you will not be disappointed in the least. Be sure to check out the Battery in Charleston as well - all the antebellum homes there front the harbor, the park between the homes and the water has several ornate gazebos in it that are frequent sites for weddings. We visited every place that's been mentioned so far. Well worth the trip!

KSSI is a regular destination for military air traffic, we get Army and Navy helos in here all the time, also the occasional AF trainer from Moody will drop in. FLETC contributes some occasional interesting visitors as well.

BTW the 8th AF Museum outside Savannah has a B-47 in front of it, easily seen from I-95. Can't miss it.

Crusader
October 27th, 2012, 05:29
Been to Savannah many times in the late 60's when stationed at Beaufort MCAS , SC . A beautiful city with a lot of interesting history . Would love to go back and spend some time as it was one of my favorite places to visit .

Rich

crashaz
October 27th, 2012, 09:58
Pulled an allnighter.... 778 miles in 12 + hours. Now in Atlanta visiting family for the weekend. Once I get settled in I will start setting up shop. Hotel for the first few weeks...then a house l8tr.

crashaz
October 27th, 2012, 10:09
My son is with the Ranger Battalion there and I plan to visit him sometime in 2013 for some wild boar hunting in the vicinity. If it all works out and I make it down there; we will definitely have to get out for dinner and a beer.

When my uncle was stationed at Hunter Air Base (now Hunter Army Air Field) we visited him in there. Later, my grandparents retired to Savannah and I recall Savannah as being a lovely city with a great river walk and lots of fun bars and attractions. It's a classic southern city with lots of charm.

By the way Crash, with your interest in ships, Charleston, SC (just a few hours up I-95) has Patriot's Point Museum. CV-10, the second Yorktown, is tied up there along with many other exhibits. Fort Sumter is also in the bay there. Both places are well worth the drive to visit.
I saw Patriots Point in 96.....however I never get tired of climbing around. Probably make a weekend of it also traveling to Wilmington to knock USS North Carolina off the list.:wiggle: Definiely let me know if you happen to make it out here...been awhile!